Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

Oh good grief the chrome on that 43 looks ridiculously tacky, it reminds me of that glitter paint that was slathered so thickly on toys you could scrape it off with a nail. Hmm, part add, part demo this time round, the 9F looks okay, not sure about that blanked off cab window, but I've been wrong before. 

Edited by scots region

52 minutes ago, scots region said:

not sure about that blanked off cab window, but I've been wrong before. 

On the 9F thread this has been spotted, and the assumption is that it's a miss on the decoration sample. I'd be astonished if that was like that on the finished model

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Interesting new coupling developments

If they are more powerful than Hunt Elites, count me in. The issue with them is when you get a long ish train of wagons any slight resistance or bending in the joint makes them separate.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

More nonsense in there with  'Since inception OO models have relied on a variation of the tension lock coupling ...'

Maybe Hornby are missing the panto season as we shout from the back 'oh no they haven't'.  Why can't they get simple things like this right?

Haven’t most couplings been connected by some kind of tension? 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

More nonsense in there with  'Since inception OO models have relied on a variation of the tension lock coupling ...'

Maybe Hornby are missing the panto season as we shout from the back 'oh no they haven't'.  Why can't they get simple things like this right?

It's almost as if "Hornby" think OO started with Tri-Ang and that Hornby Dublo wasn't earlier.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

It's almost as if "Hornby" think OO started with Tri-Ang and that Hornby Dublo wasn't earlier.

A case of selective memory I think 

I'm just wondering if Hornby have set up a dept to snaffle other ideas :   Generic coaches ,Inspired by film packs ,  now magnetic couplings .............

Good communication though . I sense they've stepped this up with Signal Box , Engine Shed and Beyond the Buffers . They are all blurring into one though , not that that matters 

1 hour ago, phil gollin said:

Well, yes, you have a point. But if one thinks about the volume of OO models made I guess it would be 95% + (?) with some form of Tension Lock. So whilst not strictly accurate, the general thrust point is not unreasonable. Depends on the relevance of 1950s history to TES readership....... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

27 minutes ago, Legend said:

I'm just wondering if Hornby have set up a dept to snaffle other ideas :   Generic coaches ,Inspired by film packs ,  now magnetic couplings .............

To be fair, magnetic couplings are hardly a new thing. I've got several 16mm scale kits that pre-date Hunt couplings with them in, and I'm sure they have appeared in 4mm scale before that. You might as well complain they are copying wheels.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

The Engine Shed has gone right downhill even since last year.I keep hoping to see something in-depth about the history of the LNER Coronation coaches history and development into a model like they did with the Coronation Scot but absolutely nothing.I thought they would have made a proper song and dance about those.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, miles73128 said:

Well, yes, you have a point. But if one thinks about the volume of OO models made I guess it would be 95% + (?) with some form of Tension Lock. So whilst not strictly accurate, the general thrust point is not unreasonable. Depends on the relevance of 1950s history to TES readership....... 

Don't forget that OO was a child of the 1930s and that Hornby Dublo and Trix only adopted the Peco style coupling after Sydney Pritchard invented it and sold it to them after the war.  I don't know what sort of coupling was used on the other, imported, early OO/HO trains which pre-dated HD's loop type coupling.

But the tension lock pattern as used by Triang was quite a way behind the field when it comes to OO couplings.  And in any case the original Rovex coupling was very different from the Triang pattern of tension lock coupling bearing more resemblance to earlier designs from other manufacturers rather than having the hook part over the top of a loop with the same arrangement at both ends of a vehicles.   In fact of all the auto coupling designs the Triang pattern was probably the last one to emerge on British manufactured OO models.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

To be fair, magnetic couplings are hardly a new thing. I've got several 16mm scale kits that pre-date Hunt couplings with them in, and I'm sure they have appeared in 4mm scale before that. You might as well complain they are copying wheels.

Hornby have been copying things for a long time, their Flying Scotsman is definitely a copy of a Gresley A3, Mallard is inspired by the Gresley A4 and I am convinced their class 31 model is a copy of a Brush type 2 A1A-A1A.  You know, I suspect Bachmann, Heljan, Dapol, Accurascale and Cavalex are also at this copying malarkey looking at the items they have on offer.

• Funny 8

1 hour ago, Legend said:

now magnetic couplings .............

Well there's plenty of other people who have snaffled that one up from wherever it originated.

I also don't recall there being any negativity or accusations of copying about Accurascale doing it on the mk5s, which makes me wonder about double standards of some of the people whinging on Facebook about Hornby copying whoever it is they think did it first.

For me, the more the merrier. Especially if they work more effectively with the double magnets.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, guarded said:

The Engine Shed has gone right downhill even since last year.I keep hoping to see something in-depth about the history of the LNER Coronation coaches history and development into a model like they did with the Coronation Scot but absolutely nothing.I thought they would have made a proper song and dance about those.

Most Engine Shed blogs seem to contain physical manifestations of the models in question (and now seemingly art and CAD shots which I'm all for) from this it may be safe to assume that there is nothing of the coronation set yet but the CAD data.

All in good time I'm sure

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Well there's plenty of other people who have snaffled that one up from wherever it originated.

I also don't recall there being any negativity or accusations of copying about Accurascale doing it on the mk5s, which makes me wonder about double standards of some of the people whinging on Facebook about Hornby copying whoever it is they think did it first.

For me, the more the merrier. Especially if they work more effectively with the double magnets.

Our Mk5 was designed with magnetic couplers from before launch :) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, McC said:

And I am pleased they are!

My point is that magnetic couplers have been done plenty of times in the past as far as I am aware, both people just doing it for themselves and commercially, but when Hornby does them some people fetch the torches and pitchforks out. That didn't happen when you announced it on the mk5s.

• Agree 4

3 minutes ago, McC said:

And I see no comment from Accurascale on my assertion that said model Mk5 coaches are an exact copy of those operated by Trans Pennine and Caledonian Sleeper.

You're all at it, no originality from any manufacturer, it's all copies of stuff you could see on the big railway.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

You're all at it, no originality from any manufacturer, it's all copies of stuff you could see on the big railway.

Enter Hornby with the Jubilee HST 😜

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Don't forget that OO was a child of the 1930s

Actually 100yrs this year, Bing’s table railway was in the shops for Christmas 1922. Henry Greenly specified the OO scale as 4mm

F9F792A9-8961-4960-A23F-2E27717BE56E.jpeg.d6746a0aeb578a6b8b7433e9d411dc49.jpeg

More to come on that later in the year 😉

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Beyond the buffers is certainly interesting when they talk to designers . Some interesting stuff on the new HST and APT, including these huge capacitors and the fact that the next APTs will be improved rectifying some things they got wrong . 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1