Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

Another interesting thing I discovered was that on the DBSO is its ScotRail form, the engine start/stop button for the 47/7 was also labeled Pan up/down.

Since my last post, I have found out that there was a plan in the early 80's to convert some Mk2d BFK into DBFO or DBFK and use them with class 81 or 85 in push-mode in Anglia!

Interesting you mention that pan up / down scenario which would obviously be controlled via the RCH cables. I recall a tale from many years ago which may have a degree of fiction built in. A 47/7 (of the real push/pull kind was working a "drag" from Nuneaton to Birmingham one Sunday. It was said that the shunter coupled RCH cables between the 47 and the AC loco when coupling up. Climbing the bank out of Nuneaton up towards Abbey St the driver has some power problems allegedly overloading. He pressed the reset button on the 47, regained and merrily carried on to Birmingham.

In the meantime a chap walking his dog over a railway bridge found a strange metal object lying on the road. When the train arrived in New St the forward driver was unable to raise the pan on the electric loco because it was lying on a bridge in Nuneaton !!!!

How much truth there is in that tale I really don't know, but at least it sounds good

Interesting you mention that pan up / down scenario which would obviously be controlled via the RCH cables. I recall a tale from many years ago which may have a degree of fiction built in. A 47/7 (of the real push/pull kind was working a "drag" from Nuneaton to Birmingham one Sunday. It was said that the shunter coupled RCH cables between the 47 and the AC loco when coupling up. Climbing the bank out of Nuneaton up towards Abbey St the driver has some power problems allegedly overloading. He pressed the reset button on the 47, regained and merrily carried on to Birmingham.

In the meantime a chap walking his dog over a railway bridge found a strange metal object lying on the road. When the train arrived in New St the forward driver was unable to raise the pan on the electric loco because it was lying on a bridge in Nuneaton !!!!

How much truth there is in that tale I really don't know, but at least it sounds good

Sadly I don't think this is true. The AC electrics were fitted with TDM cables from the late 1980s, the original 47/7s had FDM using the RCH cables (the DBSOs also used FDM until they were refurbished for the Anglia services when they had TDM installed). So whilst the cables may well have connected together I don't think the two systems could have talked to each other.

Nice story though.

Going back to the Mk2F coaches I was asked, about a year ago, by someone who talked to Bachmann what the differences were between a Mk2E and a Mk2F. I'm not saying that they will do a change in the future but the prospect is at least a possibility.

Thirdly where do you get the impression that Hattons prices and discounts are any different from most other retailers ? They are not..

One example for you....and this is not the only one. Derails offer these coaches at Hattons price ,the big difference being that he has them in stock....as a small retailer.....already.Oh wait a minute.....post free.

Thanks for the tip on this, just ordered a B/G DBSO from them, however received a phone call 5 minutes later to say that it was not yet in stock, despite what the website  says.  I take your point though, other suppliers exist other than Hattons.  It was nice to get the phone call and I'm quite happy to wait.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the tip on this, just ordered a B/G DBSO from them, however received a phone call 5 minutes later to say that it was not yet in stock, despite what the website  says.  I take your point though, other suppliers exist other than Hattons.  It was nice to get the phone call and I'm quite happy to wait.

You will not be disappointed.

• Like 1

That'll be this one Dub....  https://topticl.zenfolio.com/p609388398/hbc265852#hbc265845 The hand of Chris Green at work....  Thank goodness it didn't extend to the interiors (unlike the Mk1's and early 2's that did get it - and looked awful)

This other shot of the replacement DBSO shows the interior - still in Beige - https://topticl.zenfolio.com/p609388398/hbc265852#hbc265852

(for some odd reason I can't get the second URL to link to the photo so it'll be a case of copy and paste into the browser bar....)

Edited by Bob Reid
  • Like 1

That'll be this one Dub....  https://topticl.zenfolio.com/p609388398/hbc265852#hbc265845 The hand of Chris Green at work....  Thank goodness it didn't extend to the interiors (unlike the Mk1's and early 2's that did get it - and looked awful)

This other shot of the replacement DBSO shows the interior - still in Beige - https://topticl.zenfolio.com/p609388398/hbc265852#hbc265852

(for some odd reason I can't get the second URL to link to the photo so it'll be a case of copy and paste into the browser bar....)

Interesting photos - of note one DBSO has silver/aluminium edged window frames.........  

When the MK2 D/E/F's were repainted into ScotRail Exec, do you know or recall if the roofs were also painted Ex Dark Grey or perhaps just left the original dark Bluey/Grey colour as commonly used on B/Grey stock ?

TIA

p3156629586-2.jpg

Edited by Flood
  • Like 2

Interesting photos - of note one DBSO has silver/aluminium edged window frames.........  

When the MK2 D/E/F's were repainted into ScotRail Exec, do you know or recall if the roofs were also painted Ex Dark Grey or perhaps just left the original dark Bluey/Grey colour as commonly used on B/Grey stock ?

TIA

Executive Dark Grey as far as I remember -

The question of roof colour is one I've never been able to resolve entirely. Executive Dark Grey certainly works and looks from memory like the colour used however, the original drawings for both InterCity (more commonly known as Executive), the New INTERCITY (what's more commonly known as Swallow), and ScotRail livery diagrams, all specified the roof colour (at least up to first weld line) as Gloss Black - for example between the classification band and the weld line on a Mk2 or Mk3 roof). One day I'll get to the bottom of these changes....

There is no easy answer - there's plenty of evidence of straying off the official line with experimental and one off liveries. One ScotRail Mk3a and DBSO received a version of the original "Executive HST" livery, with the lower body colour above the classification band and as high as the weld line.  The one DBSO I've found shown here;

p2720526092-5.jpg

Looking for all the world like it's on ECS from St.Rollox to Craigentinny along with an B&G "Inter City ScotRail" Mk3a and dark striped brother....

[Edit] To add for completeness - here's the Mk3a TSO (first in from the loco) with the HST Executive livery add-on;

p2720526097-5.jpg

So as not to clutter the 2f thread, I'll move the ScotRail "oddities" discussion onto another topic.....

Edited by Bob Reid
  • Like 5

3824 never had disc brakes - at least as far as I know (I suspect the listing of it as such is an oft repeated/copied error) The newest photo I have shows it in 1984 without any form of WSP - had it been fitted with disc brakes, Girling WSP would have been fitted at the same time.

[Edit to add link photo etc.] Here's shot from April 1984 for a start. Downgraded and in use as a TSO (it more often or not replaced the FO on the E&G's) as you can see it has ordinary B4 tread brake bogies without WSP equipment.  I have an earlier shot from 1982 but won't add anything except that the brake block carriers are clearly visible.

https://flic.kr/p/jfre1Y

If anyone else can find a Mk2f (except the fitted DBSO's), any one for that matter but especially 3824 taken between 1985 & 1990 please shout up.  You're looking for the right hand bogie (as viewed from both sides) having WSP equipment on the axlebox covers and an absence of tread brake block carriers. It'll probably be operating in an Edinburgh-Glasgow set or a Glasgow-Aberdeen...

Edited by Bob Reid

Executive Dark Grey as far as I remember -

The question of roof colour is one I've never been able to resolve entirely. Executive Dark Grey certainly works and looks from memory like the colour used however, the original drawings for both InterCity (more commonly known as Executive), the New INTERCITY (what's more commonly known as Swallow), and ScotRail livery diagrams, all specified the roof colour (at least up to first weld line) as Gloss Black - for example between the classification band and the weld line on a Mk2 or Mk3 roof). One day I'll get to the bottom of these changes....

There is no easy answer - there's plenty of evidence of straying off the official line with experimental and one off liveries. One ScotRail Mk3a and DBSO received a version of the original "Executive HST" livery, with the lower body colour above the classification band and as high as the weld line.  The one DBSO I've found shown here;

p2720526092-5.jpg

Looking for all the world like it's on ECS from St.Rollox to Craigentinny along with an B&G "Inter City ScotRail" Mk3a and dark striped brother....

[Edit] To add for completeness - here's the Mk3a TSO (first in from the loco) with the HST Executive livery add-on;

p2720526097-5.jpg

So as not to clutter the 2f thread, I'll move the ScotRail "oddities" discussion onto another topic.....

Very interesting, glad Bachmann seem to be sticking to the more usual version which did not have the light grey above the classification band or with grey window surrounds.

Interesting most (or all) the Lima Mk 3s in ScotRail had the version with the light grey on the roof for want of a better expression.

Have you a link to where you have or are going to post these "oddities"

I assume the photos with the two DBSOs at Waverley in the earlier posted link was as a result of them being swapped.

Edited by Waverley47708

Very interesting, glad Bachmann seem to be sticking to the more usual version which did not have the light grey above the classification band or with grey window surrounds.

Interesting most (or all) the Lima Mk 3s in ScotRail had the version with the light grey on the roof for want of a better expression.

I assume the photos with the two DBSOs at Waverley in the earlier posted link was as a result of them being swapped.

Swapped out whilst in service...  Wasn't a common occurrence, it was far easier to swap out the maintenance set where possible.

I've not posted anything for the oddities as yet - in and out to hospital so only get a glance at this when I can.  If anyone else wants to start it please do by all means.  It's possibly the light but that second TSO - clearly ex-works has either a very shiny roof or one that is all light grey!

Edited by Bob Reid

not all, the Lima limited edition set by Harburn Hobbies with 47711 didn't have the light grey on the roof of the enclosed Mk3's

Edited by GordonC

• RMweb Gold

Yeah sorry about that - slight stock error with our website issues this week that's now been rectified. :)

Your order left today I believe. Thanks for your understanding.

• Like 1

Yeah sorry about that - slight stock error with our website issues this week that's now been rectified. :)

Your order left today I believe. Thanks for your understanding.

Absolutely no problem at all.  Ian's post was a timely reminder of the world outside boxshifters.  I really appreciated the phone call -  i thought that was a nice touch.   I see you're not far from me and i bet you're that type shop that provides a lovely cup of tea, just that smidgen too hot that i have to browse while it cools down.  I am weak.  You'll see me soon!!     

• Like 1

Just got an email from Rails to say my ScotRail DBSOs are on their way................................

Excellent, now it turns out it is my 20th wedding anniversary soon, and that china is the thing for your 20th seemingly. Since Bachmann make their stuff in China, do you think that counts?

Edited by Waverley47708
  • Like 1

Just got an email from Rails to say my ScotRail DBSOs are on their way................................

Excellent, now it turns out it is my 20th wedding anniversary soon, and that china is the thing for your 20th seemingly.  Since Bachmann make there stuff in China, do you think that counts?

That's interesting - pre-ordered mine from Hatton's (2014) and they still don't have stock of the B/G DBSO yet......let alone the ScotRail Exec version.....very odd....

• RMweb Gold

That's interesting - pre-ordered mine from Hatton's (2014) and they still don't have stock of the B/G DBSO yet......let alone the ScotRail Exec version.....very odd....

Derails posted my B/G DBSO on 1st November, it does seem strange that over 2 weeks later the largest UK supplier still has no stock.

Derails posted my B/G DBSO on 1st November, it does seem strange that over 2 weeks later the largest UK supplier still has no stock.

Hattons don't appear to have received anything from Bachmann since the beginning of the month. Does anyone have any concrete information as to the delay in order to avoid speculation?

Hattons don't appear to have received anything from Bachmann since the beginning of the month. Does anyone have any concrete information as to the delay in order to avoid speculation?

I spoke with Hattons online message system, and they are contacting Bachmann re when they are getting their allocation of mk2f’s...