A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

It may be worth applying some car polish as I did with my King Arthur class.......

It does rather darken the colour somewhat and gives a nice 'oily rag 'finish.

Rob.

Nice. What sort of polish and how did you apply it to the model please mate.

I will leave the jokes about Lech from Warsaw to others.

• RMweb Premium

It may be worth applying some car polish as I did with my King Arthur class.......

It does rather darken the colour somewhat and gives a nice 'oily rag 'finish.

Rob.

Swoooooonnnn. I almost recovered from The Strictly Virus on seeing this. Almost.

Groan.

• RMweb Gold

Nice. What sort of polish and how did you apply it to the model please mate.

I will leave the jokes about Lech from Warsaw to others.

Auto Glym resin polish. Not cheap but on a positive note even a small amount will last you until hell freezes over.

I use a cotton bud and apply a small amount then work in 4mm scale circles to try and simulate little hands cleaning. I do this post weathering but before spraying with matt varnish to seal the powders. I mask off those areas I want to keep shiny.

You have to be careful around rivets as it can leave a white residue which can be tricky to remove but I wait until its dry and use a small stiff brush.

Swoooooonnnn. I almost recovered from The Strictly Virus on seeing this. Almost.

Groan.

Runny beak?

Rob.

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

'Oh Minnie ! Look it's King Charles the second from Old Oak Common'

'Oh Flora, what have Swindon done in their paintshop, it's a disgrace and needs mentioning to that Felix Pole chap we know'

post-126-0-26945600-1477147092_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

'Oh Flora, what have Swindon done in their paintshop, it's a disgrace and needs mentioning to that Felix Pole chap we know'

attachicon.gifDSCN9635.jpg

'And to think that the same paintshop did such a good job for the NRM version- - all shiny and the right shade of green'

• RMweb Premium

Flora: " Felix Pole......such an interesting name. I'm going to say something a little risque Minnie. Are you ready?"

Minnie: "Oh, not here Flors, just in case my top set comes loose again. Wait until we are in the Buffet."

Flora: "Probably for the best dear heart. Let us go and get our Crumpets hot and buttery and perhaps take a wee dram to set them off."

Extract from today's Plymouth Herald.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rob, were the Kings always kept smart in your era? If not I'd cover that in Klear then crud it up. Try the Tender first, just on the back to see if it works. The green reminds me of the Lima King colour, but I could be imagining that.

However, that last shot in #20945 is excellent. What a difference that bridge makes.

Philth

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Rob, were the Kings always kept smart in your era? If not I'd cover that in Klear then crud it up. Try the Tender first, just on the back to see if it works. The green reminds me of the Lima King colour, but I could be imagining that.

However, that last shot in #20945 is excellent. What a difference that bridge makes.

Philth

Photos suggest that in the post-war era Old Oak 'Kings' were not exactly the cleanest engines operating on the GWR  (no doubt largely due to a shortage of labour) but Kennth Cook remarked in his book that he had a certain 'Castle' transferred away from Old Oak to Canton because it was filthy every time he saw it passing Swindon.

• Like 1