SECR Maunsell D1 Class Locomotive

Oliver Rails

• Oliver Rails changed the title to SECR Maunsell D1 Class Locomotive

Hmmm I'm not sure, if it's anything like my pair of D classes it'll just turn into a bit of expensive siding scenery... My Ds both stall and derail so much they're unusable on my current layout. 

Edit: tactical avoidance of any 3s on the Maunsell green ones? :p

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

5 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

@Oliver Rails Can you confirm if the SR Olive green and tender lettering for said livery is being corrected?

Otherwise they look like stunning models. 

It's not just the Olive livery that is suspect but the SR Sunshine lettering is wrong again, as it was on the D class (that I am still to replace on mine) The fact that no corrections were made to the D class and these perpetuate the same mistakes I wont hold my breath.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic, 1741 and 31246 pre-ordered, odds are that in the far distant past both locomotives have passed through the station ten minutes away from where I am sitting at the moment.

Fingers crossed that in the meantime hope that Rails and Dapol will take note and act upon the comments that are made regarding these models.

Keith

• Agree 1

Am obvious and worthwhile addition  -  I have pre-ordered and hope my late BR one looks and runs well.

Makes up for other disappointments so far this year.

Hornby had better get their finger out, otherwise someone will announce an L1 4-4-0, and that has been in the Tri-ang / Hornby range almost forever.

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Congratulations to Rails on this announcement!

Within what was The Annual 00 Wishlist Poll, the class had been consistently High Polling and went into the Top 50 in 2019.

We wish the project every success.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll  Team)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

And the price is the same as the D, only £199.95; not the £220 of the Imp Precident.

Although its a sad thing that they started off in Grey and didn't appear in fully-lined green. So I'll skip the SECR version and take an Olive please.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

And the price is the same as the D, only £199.95; not the £220 of the Imp Precident.

Although its a sad thing that they started off in Grey and didn't appear in fully-lined green. So I'll skip the SECR version and take an Olive please.

Unfair comparison perhaps because the D1 is a pre production version but the Precedent looks a bargain at only £20 more if you compare quality of finish. Also the sound fitted D1 seems expensive compared with other contemporary factory fitted sound models adding £130 to the 'base' price.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, PeterStiles said:

Holding the admittedly high price to the same as the D is indeed welcome, considering the way things are going nowadays. I think the grey version looks very fine but with only ten of them built in 1921, that livery can’t have lasted very long.

Unlike some, my D performs very well and is no shelf queen. The D may have been very good in its day but the D1 was a marked improvement. The D may have been elegant but I rather like the D1’s more business-like appearance.

On the surface of it, a very welcome announcement. If Rails and Dapol pay some attention to the points made above regarding Southern livery and insignia, it will be very welcome.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Unfair comparison perhaps because the D1 is a pre production version but the Precedent looks a bargain at only £20 more if you compare quality of finish. Also the sound fitted D1 seems expensive compared with other contemporary factory fitted sound models adding £130 to the 'base' price.

A point not lost on me. Dapol generally seems to charge a higher premium for sound-fitted locomotives than other manufacturers. Twin speakers may account for some of it.

Curious. The e-mail and website both state: “Three dome types (with/without top feed and plated)”. All six versions are illustrated but none has a plated dome. I fancy a slip up. Carried over from the D Class blurb and not properly edited? Computers make that quite a common error. “Maunsell took the reigns…” is a different type of error. :D

Watching the launch video, I noticed that the sample model near the end didn’t start quite as smoothly as I would like and the coupling rod flailed about a bit. The green running plate :O gives me a “here we go again” feeling!

Edited by No Decorum
Added comments.
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Garethp8873 said:

@Oliver Rails can I ask if Wartime Black is going to be looked at in the future with these models? In the meantime both Olive Green examples ordered.

I've gone for the BR Sunshine version on the basis that I will need to replace the decals with a correct version, style and size, of decals anyway...

• RMweb Gold

Anyone having a problem pre-ordering? I get to proceed to payment and the process does not complete. Tried PayPal, it logs me on, I agree to the payment, but then it just returns to the payment page and there's no pre-order confirmation. Same if I try with a credit card. 

EDIT: Having gone to PayPal and returned to the "place order" page, you then have to accept the pre-order conditions, which wasn't clear at all. I clicked the box but it just kept flashing at me...

Edited by RFS
update

17 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Curious. The e-mail and website both state: “Three dome types (with/without top feed and plated)”. All six versions are illustrated but none has a plated dome. I fancy a slip up. Carried over from the D Class blurb and not properly edited? Computers make that quite a common error. “Maunsell took the reigns…” is a different type of error. :D

Watching the launch video, I noticed that the sample model near the end didn’t start quite as smoothly as I would like and the coupling rod flailed about a bit. The green running plate :O gives me a “here we go again” feeling!

Video is hiding well !!

5 minutes ago, RFS said:

Anyone having a problem pre-ordering? I get to proceed to payment and the process does not complete. Tried PayPal, it logs me on, I agree to the payment, but then it just returns to the payment page and there's no pre-order confirmation. Same if I try with a credit card. 

That sort of thing has been happening to me lately. Amazon asked me to change my name to first name plus surname. I have a fancy that a name consisting of a title followed by initials may be giving some payment methods indigestion. Could this be your problem?

Edited by No Decorum
Spelling.

1 hour ago, phil gollin said:

Am obvious and worthwhile addition  -  I have pre-ordered and hope my late BR one looks and runs well.

Makes up for other disappointments so far this year.

Hornby had better get their finger out, otherwise someone will announce an L1 4-4-0, and that has been in the Tri-ang / Hornby range almost forever.

I'm glad your happy. 

I too had problems pre-ordering, but just give Rails a ring and they'll do it over the phone.

I couldn't resist, SR Olive Green, 1749 with sound, Yes they are expensive, but they way I looked at put 50 away each month, about price of 10 pints. There are a lot of folk who spend that on a night out more than once a week.

• Agree 1