Graham Farish Winter 2022 announcements

AY Mod

• Moderators

The Graham Farish N scale range welcomes new diesel locomotives this Winter with two Class 20s depicting No. 20064 ‘River Sheaf’ and No. 20172 ‘Redmire’. Class 31 No. 31309 ‘Cricklewood’ is also announced, whilst a quartet of Refurbished Class 31s makes up the latest round of Sales Area Exclusive models, each offered with our without SOUND FITTED and available only from retailers within specific areas of the country.

371-029-4.jpg

ITEM NO. SCALE DESCRIPTION RRP
371-029 N Class 20/0 Disc Headcode 20064 'River Sheaf' BR Green (Red Solebar) £159.95

371-029-3.jpg

371-029-5.jpg
371-042 N Class 20/0 Headcode Box 20172 'Redmire' BR Blue (Red Solebar) £159.95

371-042.LS.DETAIL.05.jpg

371-112B N Class 31/1 31309 'Cricklewood' BR Blue £179.95

371-112BSF N Class 31/1 31309 'Cricklewood' BR Blue £279.95

371-112B-1.jpg

371-112BSF-2.jpg

The following Class 31s will be regional dealer specials - keep your eyes peeled!

371-135DB-1.jpg

371-136RJSF-3.jpg

371-137SD-1.jpg

371-137TL-3.jpg

42-0022 N Corrugated Goods Shed £29.95

42-0022.jpg
42-0025 N Brick Lineside Hut £13.95

42-0025.jpg
42-0028 N Weighbridge £49.95

42-0028.jpg
42-062Y N Helston Engine Shed £49.95

42-062Y.jpg
42-076Z N Aidensfield Garage £49.95

42-076Z.jpg
42-125X N Rendered Workers' Cottages £29.95

42-125X.jpg
42-145 N Highley Station Cattle Dock £32.95

42-145.jpg
42-218 N Low Relief Modern Town Houses £38.95

42-218.jpg
42-261 N Low Relief Station Hotel £54.95

42-261.jpg
42-580 N Dry Stone Walling and Gate £17.95

42-580.jpg
42-582 N Musketeer Caravan £21.95

42-582.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stefen1988 said:

This is a joke...?

Sadly not Stefen. We have been led to believe that British N is still an important part of the Bachmann Europe portfolio, but comparing the amount of "new tool" coming through in OO and OO9, adding to that the lack of re-runs in N of things like maroon and blue/grey Mk1s and on top of that the repeated pushing back of models like the 5MT, J39 it seems fairly clear now it comes a distant third in terms of investment and production capacity. The quarterly announcements have been in place for a good while now so hiding behind that as a reason and keep people "dangling" for jam tomorrow in the next quarter is now wearing extremely thin. 

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Making the applicable just about anywhere EWS Clas 31 a regional model (Midlands and East Anglia from what I can see) seems a bit odd, I thought that would be a general release.

Once again though, all shiny big ticket items to appease the hungry YouTubers and nothing run of the mill for them to actually haul.

My wallet is safe.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Agree 3

Well they say nature abhors a vacuum. 

And I think this will encourage other manufacturers to step in and build their businesses with little risk of duplication and wasted investment.

I've always appreciated GF as models that run very nicely. But as someone interested in modelling transition era with a Southern-flavoured mix of steam, EMUs and diesels I don't think I can really look to their recent announcements as offering anything additional to what I already own.

I appreciate that like any business they need to cater for their core market and follow what their customer research suggests what will give them adequate and the least risky returns. 

12 minutes ago, Padishar Creel said:

Mine too, surprised they have not done more MK2Fs. They would have flown off the shelves

es grüßt

pc 

Next quarter I reckon, Virgin and InterCity Swallow to match the 90's and the forthcoming 47/8

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm encouraged that there seems to be a strategy of releasing multiple liveries of a particular class at a time (previously 08s and 37s), but as others have said we are lacking in available rolling stock.  Hopefully there is a large batch of Mk1s and Mk2s currently being planned to be released in multiple liveries.

I'm more likely to pick up a coach or a wagon as an impulse buy if I happen to visit a model shop.

I'll get the coal sector 31, to double head with my re-sectored 31319.

The Thornaby 20s are tempting, but will wait and see if heavily discounted.  Bit strange just releasing 20064 on it's own, as I'm pretty sure it spent most of it's life in that livery coupled to similarly liveried 20030.  Perhaps this might be a collectors club release in future?

20172 also was with BR blue with red solebar 20028, though once separated worked with other examples.

Edited by Stuart A
spelling

36 minutes ago, Stuart A said:

Hopefully there is a large batch of Mk1s and Mk2s currently being planned to be released in multiple liveries.

There was a rumour about this (and IIRC fuelled by someone from Bachmann possibly at DEMU ShowCase), but the disappointing thing is the lack of any mention or announcement confirming it. Certainly nothing alluded to for coaches in any of this year's quarterly announcements.

Edited by grahame
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sigh, still no coaches or wagons...

20172 "Redmire" should perhaps have been done in a twin-set with 20028 "Bedale" - the two were rarely seen apart. Ditto 20030 "River Rother" with 20064 "River Sheaf"

The Intercity and Coal Sector class 31s would have been interesting had I not already repainted them years ago!

Role on the class 90s and the spring announcements!

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B

The rendered cottages are nice, and full depth for a change.  They definitely have the air of the Raby Estate in South West County Durham about them, where every Estate building was whitewashed.  Helston Shed is a nice generic Industrial shed- I have a OO one on NO PLACE where it fits beautifully in with the stone of the area.

However, very little in it- and possibly underlines why I'm finding TT120 attractive.  I'm up for a challenge and with RSI getting worse N Gauge isn't necessarily going to give me that challenge, and too many random bits seem to drop off OO stuff.

I'm off to Spalding with Croft Spa this weekend, and the layout will be for sale.

Les

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Steven B said:

Sigh, still no coaches or wagons...

20172 "Redmire" should perhaps have been done in a twin-set with 20028 "Bedale" - the two were rarely seen apart. Ditto 20030 "River Rother" with 20064 "River Sheaf"

Steven B.

Plans for an 'A' variant to offer the partners if these sell through?

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Making the applicable just about anywhere EWS Clas 31 a regional model (Midlands and East Anglia from what I can see) seems a bit odd, I thought that would be a general release.

31466 was withdrawn 2001, so has spent many more years in the livery in preservation so perhaps making it a more niche model?

Jo

Well as someone dabbling a little in N gauge - 31 466 might just be possible as a smaller loco on a trip working of wagons for the works - though withdrawal date of 2001 is a bit early

Otherwise what mainly strikes me is the high price of resin buildings, £14 for a small hut - in N . I've a give-away card kit sheet that came with a magazine and includes two such huts in N . That sheet is going to save me at least £14 - maybe £28 . I looked at the low-relief modern townhouses with interest for a moment - until I saw they are £39.  For a low relief N gauge building , and we aren't talking Scunthorpe Steelworks here. The weighbridge caused a momentary fliker of interest : until I saw it costs £50

Scalescenes downloadable buildings cost a few quid each. I could buy a moderate selection of them, and a full set of new colour cartridges for my printer and still have change from two Farish buildings , one of them low relief.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Stuart A said:

Bit strange just releasing 20064 on it's own, as I'm pretty sure it spent most of it's life in that livery coupled to similarly liveried 20030.  Perhaps this might be a collectors club release in future?

Apparently the windows on 20030 were larger and this tooling is not offered by Farish so this could explain it, am sure a few will be renumbered in due course to make the pair up

• RMweb Gold

My expectations were low and GF have failed to meet them. When you think about it, since 2020, in all of the Bachmann standard gauge ranges, there's been exactly one item that wasn't present previously in some form—the Dance Hall brake van in OO. Everything else that has been announced since then has either been a sound upgrade or a newly-tooled version of something already in the range, and with the exception of the GF class 90, they've all been diesels.

The only new steam locos have been narrow-gauge.

The message seems clear: if you want something in N gauge that GF haven't done, better hope Rapido or Sonic is interested in doing it (perhaps Dapol if you're below retirement age so you can afford to wait).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 02/11/2022 at 15:12, Ed-farms said:

Apparently the windows on 20030 were larger and this tooling is not offered by Farish so this could explain it, am sure a few will be renumbered in due course to make the pair up

Ah I think you are correct.  Never knew there was such a difference.  Learn something new every day!

20064, 20030. [Gb7-90a-017]

20064, 20030. [Gb7-90a-017] by Jamerail on Flickr

20030. by David Hopkins from Flickr

Edited by Stuart A
  • Like 1

Given the continued lack of attention to 'staple' coaching stock and the rare runs of TSOs that fly off the shelves within days/weeks when they are released once every several years, I really hope other manufacturers step in with some offerings such as MK1, MK2B/C and perhaps MK2D. At least the alternative MK2 variants would offer a little more variety, just in case Farish ever to decide to do another run of MK2A and MK2F.

As someone mentioned the lack of a 'Dutch' 31 earlier, this is something I was discussing with another fellow of this parish recently. Still no 31s or 47s in Dutch, yet 3 different 37/0s done to date, as well as one in departmental grey.

That said, I'm pleased to see 20172, 31130 and 31423 - all of which I am likely to take.

Edited by 47475
Corrected 31 no.
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Ravenser said:

Well as someone dabbling a little in N gauge - 31 466 might just be possible as a smaller loco on a trip working of wagons for the works - though withdrawal date of 2001 is a bit early

Otherwise what mainly strikes me is the high price of resin buildings, £14 for a small hut - in N . I've a give-away card kit sheet that came with a magazine and includes two such huts in N . That sheet is going to save me at least £14 - maybe £28 . I looked at the low-relief modern townhouses with interest for a moment - until I saw they are £39.  For a low relief N gauge building , and we aren't talking Scunthorpe Steelworks here. The weighbridge caused a momentary fliker of interest : until I saw it costs £50

Scalescenes downloadable buildings cost a few quid each. I could buy a moderate selection of them, and a full set of new colour cartridges for my printer and still have change from two Farish buildings , one of them low relief.

The Scalescene buildings do seem to be getting on the expensive side these days, but they also tend to end up being in the bargain bins at a later date, so if you really want some of them I'd just wait six months or so. Or three years in the case of those power station buildings which numerous retailers still seem to have in stock!

1 hour ago, Padishar Creel said:

What did they say when the 90s were released? "In the fullness of time..."

es grüßt

pc 

The 90s were due to be announced this quarter but were announced early so we had something to look at at TINGS, so presumably due before the end of January 

Jo