Level crossing stupidity...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I walked past this spot today (6 min 20 seconds) on the Warburton Rail Trail, at the Home Hotel Launching Place - sadly closed in August 1965, the line not the pub. Actually the pub was closed during Covid, but they have spent weeks renovating so should be open soon.

But look at the Wig Wag level crossing warning and the truck, who apparently doesn't think he'll be able to restart on the grade!

• Like 5

On 26/04/2022 at 19:19, Andy Hayter said:

I think the road markings may at least be partly to blame.  The hatched areas do not include the rail track and could give the impression to an inattentive driver, at night, perhaps with rain and reduced visibility, that there is a route down the rail track.  If the driver is paying attention to a route finding system #; "turn left then immediately right", those markings are going to lead drivers into trouble - as we frequently see.  The gaps between the hatched areas seem to be designed to lure a driver in.  And they do.

Perhaps Ashland would be better served by gates that swing across the road when a train is cleared, and across the tracks when the road is open.  Would they ever catch on?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, EddieB said:

Perhaps Ashland would be better served by gates that swing across the road when a train is cleared, and across the tracks when the road is open.  Would they ever catch on?

I've seen enough Hollywood movies to know that in America gates are something you drive through in a pick-up truck and the police car that's following it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, SZ said:

Multiple fatalities and at least 50 injured after Amtrak hits dump truck on public crossing and derails COMPLETELY near Kansas City with 243 people onboard: Terrified passengers escape out of smashed windows

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10958473/Multiple-people-feared-dead-Amtrak-derailment-near-Kansas-City.html

Three reported fatalities so far - including the dump truck driver.

I travelled that route last month, and the horns blare every few minutes for the very many - often unbarriered (and lots without any warning lights) - crossings along the way, especially through Missouri and Kansas. 

Edited by newbryford
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Second bad one in a short period of time.

Possibly the upgrading of the line is catching people out?

Maybe used to beating a relatively slow FEC freight and not realising how fast the Brightline train is going?

In many places a former single track is now two and sometimes three.

I've been following the upgrade on the "Roaming Railfan"

Edited by melmerby
changed link
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, davknigh said:

It boils down to a lack of patience. As the policeman at the end of the clip said, it's not worth the minute you'd save if it costs you your life. 

Cheers,

David

Except for me, me, me!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, davknigh said:

It boils down to a lack of patience. As the policeman at the end of the clip said, it's not worth the minute you'd save if it costs you your life. 

Cheers,

David

Especially as the Brightline trains are rather short.

Currently four cars T&T with a pair of Siemens Chargers, it must just a few seconds on the crossing, compared to 5 minutes or more for a slow long freight.

If the driver had knocked 5mph off their speed they would have got to the crossing after the train had passed!

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, melmerby said:

Second bad one in a short period of time.

Possibly the upgrading of the line is catching people out?

Maybe used to beating a relatively slow FEC freight and not realising how fast the Brightline train is going?

By chance, I was there, the week it opened to public service in 2018 and there were two incidents then. Even though they had been ghost running/training for months previously. So they should be familiar with it by now. [*]

(Although the service was suspended for some time during Covid.)

There are a large number of crossings between Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach, with an almost continuous blast of the horns in some locations.

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Especially as the Brightline trains are rather short.

Currently four cars T&T with a pair of Siemens Chargers, it must just a few seconds on the crossing, compared to 5 minutes or more for a slow long freight.

If the driver had knocked 5mph off their speed they would have got to the crossing after the train had passed!

The driver may not have known if it was Brightline or FEC - not that that's an excuse for his behaviour.

There is a video somewhere comparing the time difference between Brightline and FEC freights at grade crossings.

[*] There were calls to shut down the "killer trains", and the replies on one of the news sites were hilarious and put it down to most Floridians being stupid........

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, newbryford said:

By chance, I was there, the week it opened to public service in 2018 and there were two incidents then. Even though they had been ghost running/training for months previously. So they should be familiar with it by now. [*]

The Local TV News (recently) reckoned 64 people have died after being struck by Brightline trains since the southern section opened.

In one period they had three deaths in 4 days.

What's the total going to be once it's fully open to Orlando Airport with more frequent trains?

Florida's drivers really need educating about how to treat grade crossings.

The track on the northern part has only recently been upgraded with regular test trains starting, AFAIK no service trains yet.

The track is still being fettled towards it's final state and the stock is still being delivered with 2 new sets delivered to the Orlando depot in the last week from Siemens Mobility in California. (Bright Green 2 & Bright Pink 2)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, melmerby said:

The Local TV News (recently) reckoned 64 people have died after being struck by Brightline trains since the southern section opened.

How does that compare with the number of fatalities from road accidents in the area in general?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, melmerby said:

In one period they had three deaths in 4 days.

What's the total going to be once it's fully open to Orlando Airport with more frequent trains?

Florida's drivers really need educating about how to treat grade crossings.

I refer you to my previous email . Most Floridians are stupid......   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...