Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

Coming along very nicely. Cannot wait to see painted examples and eventually one in EKR livery ;-)

EKR livery would be nice. The prospect of the Radial in any livery prompted me to start planning a Colonel Stephens layout at long last, but then I got seduced by the 7mm Dapol Terrier, that should be in a Colonel Stephens livery much sooner!!!!!

• Like 2

Interesting how they've put the bogie pivot so far back. Presumably this is to stop it hitting the cylinders when going round train set curves. 

I always pivoted my 4mm loco bogies inline with the rear axle and added side control on a pin mounted in the normal place, It made the bogie act more like the real thing and guide the loco, and less likely to tangle up with the cylinders etc.

• Like 1

The EP does look good, finer than I expected to be honest. Anyone any idea what the apparent silver spring is in Phils first photo on MRE mag, centring spring? It's behind the footplate near the rear wheel of the front bogie.

Very sharp-eyed observation. I had to blow the image up just to see what you had spotted. It looks to me rather like a stray.

• RMweb Premium

Is the LSWR version the real thing, not as preserved? If so, what are the dates it ran in that condition?

The artwork shows 488 as preserved with Adams livery and later modifications to cab roof ,coal rails and tank filler.

The artwork shows 488 as preserved with Adams livery and later modifications to cab roof ,coal rails and tank filler.

That's a relief. It means there's absolutely no point in considering buying one! If it was as running in 1905, things might be different!

• RMweb Gold

That's a relief. It means there's absolutely no point in considering buying one! If it was as running in 1905, things might be different!

I imagine modelling any railway c1905 using only r-t-r products is a very cheap hobby. :jester:

John

• Like 4

I imagine modelling any railway c1905 using only r-t-r products is a very cheap hobby. :jester:

John

Oh I don't know. I've got what was a brand new Mainline Dean Goods that's been in bits in a box, along with a set of Ultrascale wheels, for about 30 years. The backdating had gone too far to be able to put it back together and play with it, but it's not very high up my to-do list at the moment. So there's a few quid that I could have done something else with!

If I'd got the right (or wrong according to my wallet!) answer to my question, the next question would be about converting the Radial to EM. So there's still potential for 100 quids worth of loco to sit in a box in bits for a few decades, waiting for backdating and gauge conversion!

• Like 2

One of the details that caught my eye is the inclusion of the four casting holes in the rim of the Drummond chimney. 

It will be an unusual situation for me to be offered a choice between two potentially superb r-t-r products, with superficially little (at this stage) to distinguish one from t'other. 

My choice will not be first to market (although a late second could well lose out), but could well be influenced by a decent in-depth product review either here or in one of the High Street journals. And then the next deciding factor will be an Era 3 livery (either Maunsell green or Bulleid black). I have no axe to grind with regard to running number, or prototype boiler, but with the options necessarily available there will be some booby traps for the manufacturers to avoid.

All in all, an interesting time ahead.

PB

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well we have both the Hornby and the Oxford EPs now.

Both seem to measure up well.

Similar price.

Indeed - they both look like cracking models. And lets not forget that these models are light years ahead of what we were getting just a few short years ago - and at a price thats effectively a bargain. The average full-time wage is £26,500 pa, so it takes you just under 8 hours to earn the money to pay for that loco. 

Agreed from the looks of it, both models are looking to hitting it on the nose.

I too am not going to be swayed by who's first and will probably provide a home to at least 2 models.

I guess running characteristics might be the final factor.

I wonder if Hornbys variants will be the opposite BR emblem / number combination to Oxfords ?

Barring any major blooper I could well end up with one from each.

Hornby's late crest model is 30582 which has the typical LSWR twin safety valves on the dome that the other 2 radials do not have.

Oxfords late crest engine 30583, which is how 488 was in BR days, in fact I believe she even ran in preservation as such too.

Both are doing 30584 which ran until the end with with the other two with an early crest.

So you can in fact have all three at the end of BR, and mix between the two makes.

• RMweb Gold

Hornby's late crest model is 30582 which has the typical LSWR twin safety valves on the dome that the other 2 radials do not have.

Oxfords late crest engine 30583, which is how 488 was in BR days, in fact I believe she even ran in preservation as such too.

Both are doing 30584 which ran until the end with with the other two with an early crest.

So you can in fact have all three at the end of BR, and mix between the two makes.

My provisional shopping list is:

30582, Hornby (but I'll probably change it to early crest as it only carried the late one for its last few months final year in traffic); 

30583; Oxford,

30584, Oxford (but it looks like I will have to reduce the height of the dome for late-50s condition).

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

My provisional shopping list is:

30582, Hornby (but I'll probably change it to early crest as it only carried the late one for its last few months in traffic); 

30583; Oxford,

30584, Oxford (but it looks like I will have to reduce the height of the dome for late-50s condition).

John

I've ordered exactly the same mix. From the early ep examples I'm hoping that the individual loco prototype differences in the 3 'Lyme Billies' will be modelled. It's looking positive, and waiting for the livery version Oxford model photos to see the individual detail.

• RMweb Gold

At risk of teaching senior citizens how to suck eggs, the dome mounted safety valves are a Drummond design feature which visually indicate the Drummond boiler. Lacking this feature indicates (on this class of locos, and also on O2s) the alternate Adams boiler.

The boiler story is a tad obscure, but it seems to me that when the last three 0415 tanks were in use, there was only one serviceable, suitable Drummond boiler, and at various times it was used on each of the three.

PB

I have compiled notes on these locos from various written and photographic sources over the years and am pretty certain that there were two Drummond boilers and two Adams ones in use during the 1950s.  

30582 and 30583 appear to have carried Drummond boilers concurrently between May 1954 and April 1959 (give or take a month). So far as I can ascertain, 30584 never carried a Drummond boiler in BR livery.

The Adams boiler with the tall dome seems to have remained out of use from September 1954 (when it was removed from 30584) until April 1959 (when it was fitted to 30583). It survives on that loco in preservation. That boiler is appropriate for the Oxford Rail illustration of 30584 from 1951 to 1954 when it was replaced by the Adams one with the lower dome which the loco then carried until withdrawal.

However, the Oxford image of 30583 also shows it with the tall dome so the two models should strictly not be seen together if that is how they finally emerge. My own preference would be for 30584 to be produced with the shorter Adams dome but I am willing to alter it myself if necessary.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Agree. Whilst the drivers and motion look very fine, the opposite can be said about the bogie wheels and the radial truck. Very reminiscent of early Mainline models. This does put me off. Things can change however...

Rob

Agree. Whilst the drivers and motion look very fine, the opposite can be said about the bogie wheels and the radial truck. Very reminiscent of early Mainline models. .....

Reminds me of Roco, which seems unable to decide whether to use RP25-88 profile or the old coarse-scale flanges for Code 100 rails. Most of the stuff Roco produce today still comes out with coarse-scale flanges which tend to detract from the excellence of the rest of the model.

..... I would always vote for close tolerance RP25-88 if we could get it and adhere to it...

Thing is, Roco seem so undecided that sometimes a new model has had all sorts of flange depths on it: the DB Neubaukessel Br.01 came out with RP25-88 on the driving wheels only, whilst all the carrying and tender wheels were coarse!

• Like 1

I certainly remember Roco models of the early eighties as being the best I could afford, and my main reason for going Continental at that time.

I wonder how many others are like me, changing scales a few times since then and remembering the days when Roco were vastly ahead.  I can't comment on recent Roco models as I've not modelled in HO for over 20 years.

Just a thought.

Les