Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

• RMweb Premium

Some of you might remember that Phil Sutton had an issue with Heljan which developed in rather an unpleasant manner when they announced the release of their revised Class 33 a few years back. We were asked to take care in commenting on the matter which was eventually settled.That is why.

Ian, thanks for the clarification.

However, I think it's pushing it to expect the thousands of members of this Forum to be aware of the "class 33 issue". I've been looking on here, then a member, for at least 7 years and I don't remember anyone issuing such an edict.

In the context of this thread I don't think JSpencer's request for an SLW 33 was anything but a "request" - with no stirring involved.

Jeff

Some of you might remember that Phil Sutton had an issue with Heljan which developed in rather an unpleasant manner when they announced the release of their revised Class 33 a few years back. We were asked to take care in commenting on the matter which was eventually settled.That is why.

Please read 1148.

I do remember, as you probably guessed from my phrasing.

Thanks for the clarification, but it would have saved a lot of time had it been mentioned in #1133.

What he said. If the subject is off limits then just say so instead of waving your prefect badge at us and making puerile threats.

• RMweb Gold

Would someone be kind enough to tell me what this is? Is it like a limited edition certificate or just a brief "about us" sort of a thing made in a way to look like some BR form?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_11_2015/post-7968-0-53021800-1448865055.jpg

[/font][/color]

Perhaps I missed it in the many pages of this thread but is there an explanation why the linked letter is dated October 1980?

• RMweb Premium

I presume I'm not alone in being someone who likes the look of the Class 24 but wants something else from SLW since the Class 24 is wrong region and range of operations. Something that worked somewhat further south please.

Ssssshhh. We're not allowed to mentions Class XX. (Where X is a whole number between 2 and 4)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

PEDant mode on, What's wrong with the Class 31 :)

Forgotten your algebra? X can't represent two different values ;-)

My money is on a headcode box 24 next, then a 25. Makes a natural progression.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Premium

Got three, debating over the purchase of D5107. The logic seems to suggest a 24/1 (headcode box) and then the 25. I would like first and last of the 25's, but when that series is done, a proper Class 31 and a Class 37 (Brush Type 2/3 and English Electric Type 3, in old money.). These models are really the bits and put most of the other diesels in a shade, with the exception of the controversial Blue Pullman by Bachmann. I wish Phil Sutton's SLW all the best for the future.

I presume I'm not alone in being someone who likes the look of the Class 24 but wants something else from SLW since the Class 24 is wrong region and range of operations. Something that worked somewhat further south please.

Don't forget that 15 of the first Class 24s (D5000 to D5014 and D5017 after D5008 was returned) were allocated to the Southern Region in lieu of the delayed production of the Class 33s and stayed for 3 years-March 1959 to March-Nov 1962, so if that's your time frame. (Info acknowledged from post of member 10800)

Got three, debating over the purchase of D5107. The logic seems to suggest a 24/1 (headcode box) and then the 25. I would like first and last of the 25's, but when that series is done, a proper Class 31 and a Class 37 (Brush Type 2/3 and English Electric Type 3, in old money.). These models are really the bits and put most of the other diesels in a shade, with the exception of the controversial Blue Pullman by Bachmann. I wish Phil Sutton's SLW all the best for the future.

I would think while a 24/1 would be logical from primarily just adding a headcode box to the existing model, they had a much more limited geography of operation and thus would limit the potential sales compared to doing a 25/3 which would have more mass market appeal and would in all likelihood be the same cost/effort for SLW. Time will tell.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, had to delete as it led to my email inbox... but looks like a headcode 24?

HINT???

Cheers,

Peter C.

Just to amplify: The SLW Christmas greeting has a picture of 24135 (a headcode box 24) and the message contains "The New Year will reveal some exciting developments we currently have in preparation. We will keep you fully informed by e-mail or letter, as well as on the Sulzer Type 2 website and SLW Facebook page".

​Looks like my bank account is going to take another hit soon!

​Roy 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes, agree with this but I won't buy one unless the issues with the side grills are resolved too.

Regards

Personally I don't think the grills are that bad. I also thought that the decision was that if improved they would just be too delicate?

For me not getting one is a bit of a cut your nose of to spite you face scenario. What do you have instead? No class 24s or something that is far worse?

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Guest Q663368

Pending an update as to why it exists, my application for admittance to the Dangerous Ground Club: The original Class 25 please, 5151-5175 (or 25001-25025 if you prefer).

Giving this loco has never been produced it would make a lot of sense to me. I would buy a few to compliment D5098 and D5107.

Initially based at Thornaby they later worked in Scotland and North -west England. A natural progression to the Class 24's prior to doing the 25/1's which had different bodywork.

Giving this loco has never been produced it would make a lot of sense to me. I would buy a few to compliment D5098 and D5107.

Maybe the announcement in the new year will be  a headcode box version somewhere between D5151 (or D5114 even) and D5175?

Not a massive amount of work to modify the tooling with the added bonus of getting something to market well before Bachmann get off the blocks with their version.

P