Hornby 2017 Range (announcement date)

MGR Hooper!

According to Hatton's Hornby will be announcing their 2017 range on the 4th of January. They've also provided a link to it (contains the already announced items now).

http://www.hattons.co.uk/hornby2017

PS: Before anyone starts accusing me or hinting at this becoming a "WISHLIST" thread, please don't! I've only posted it as a informative/useful post to many who may not be aware. And basically passing on information as it is now concrete.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 2

Hornby have three trade open days around the country. The first of these is on January 4th, so the announcement has been set to coincide with this first open day.

Likewise, Bachmann have timed their announcement to be on January 8th, the first of their trade open days.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here's hoping for a plan db 60 to compliment 60007 and a colas rail 60

You might be right about the colas 60, I predict :

Colas 60

GBRF 59 or 66

DBS 67

Green 71

Blue 71 (E numbers)

Blue 71 tops

Rail freight 56

Blue 50 (named)

Green 153

Green 07, Blue 08

Sentinel in green and red

Not that I checked this link...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/117436-Hornby-advent-calendar/?p=2535324

Oh and

3 more BR green merchant navies

:-)

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

Won't be any more 71's announced I would have thought.  The DJ Models version is also on the market and I haven't seen the Hornby version sell out yet, indeed they are starting to be discounted.  Too niche...

Won't be any more 71's announced I would have thought.  The DJ Models version is also on the market and I haven't seen the Hornby version sell out yet, indeed they are starting to be discounted.  Too niche...

There almost certainly will be at least 3 more Class 71s from Hornby.

They've shown an image of the inside of the 2017 catalogue (albeit not in great detail) in which you can see 2 blue and 1 green Class 71 along with various other models that were mentioned in post #9 of this thread.

Perhaps they know something we don't.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps they know something we don't.

The DJ models ones are pre-sold / crowd funded, with quite low limited editions for Hattons and Kernow, and probably some leftovers.

Unless there's more up DJs sleeve we haven't heard about, yet....??? there's probably not going to be many 71s hitting the shelves from DJ, so the field may be open to Hornby to explore, indeed competitively it's in both their interests to swamp this one, as every sale is one less for the other manufacturer.

If DJ runs some extras against Hornby it could be a very over supplied market for 71s, imho DJ should full speed to the 74, if Hornby decide the 71 is done they may do the same, that said there's not much in common between a 71 and 74.. the roof and both body sides are different, as is below the frame, and bogies..it's pretty much only the chassis / motor and cab ends that are the same..even the cab ends have pipes on and push pull equipment.

The DJ one may be a rare beast from the moment it arrives, maybe Hornby is gambling on that ?

Edited by adb968008

One thing I have noticed is that Hornby do now seem to be open to doing smaller limited edition batches - Previously it was 1000, then 500 and the new IEP is down to 250 - So hopefully this will allow more commissions to be made by some of the smaller shops that have been doable with the likes of Bachmann / Dj and Dapol.

So on that note, could we have an FGW Local Lines 153 please? If Realtrack can do it, then a 153 has to be do-able.

• RMweb Gold

The DJ models ones are pre-sold / crowd funded, with quite low limited editions for Hattons and Kernow, and probably some leftovers.

Unless there's more up DJs sleeve we haven't heard about, yet....??? there's probably not going to be many 71s hitting the shelves from DJ[snip]

Why does it always seem that people have misunderstood what Dave has said. The crowdfunded numbers / liveries will not be repeated, others will be produced. That is where Dave will make profit to fund other developments.

Roy

Or trying to flood the market in an attempt to leave a fledgling competitor with lots of unsold stock to push them into financial difficulties before they can get established?

Conspiracy theorist, me, never!

edit-

And before anyone thinks I am going down on Hornby I was very impressed with their stand and models displayed at Warley and am quietly optimistic that they are going to give us some decent diesel/electric models in the future.

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1

Or trying to flood the market in an attempt to leave a fledgling competitor with lots of unsold stock to push them into financial difficulties before they can get established?

Conspiracy theorist, me, never!

Or a manufacturer that decided to put placeholders for models that another manufacturer had already nearly completed?

When all the models that Hornby are accused of trying to steal were announced, Hornby actually posted a model or a CAD that was obviously well developed soon after. Hardly trying to stop other manufacturers. More likely other manufacturers by chance deciding to make the same models Hornby were developing.

Hornby's King, Class 71 and Q6 are in the shops whilst DJMs versions of the King and Class 71 aren't even in production yet. With Chinese New Year coming up then it's looking like early summer at the earliest. That means the Hornby ones would have been in the shops for a year. Who's fault is that? Not Hornby's.

Their Adam's Radial tank wasn't that far behind Oxford's. But it was obvious that they had been working on that for some time.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Why does it always seem that people have misunderstood what Dave has said. The crowdfunded numbers / liveries will not be repeated, others will be produced. That is where Dave will make profit to fund other developments.

Roy

No misunderstanding here.

But no GA class 71 announcements either from DJ.. to quote my own words from your own post

Unless there's more up DJs sleeve we haven't heard about, yet....???

Puzzled, unless my words weren't clear, but we seem to agree.

The class 71 maybe an obscure battleground for competitors to duel, but at the end of the day, for us it's a hobby, for The manufacturers it's a business, that provides income to families. Companies do what they need to survive and take on competition, as modellers we may be uncomfortable with it in our own interests for the hobby, but 9am Monday morning many of us do the same in our respective jobs, I know Ive been some odd places, and take strange competition for what may seem pointless deals.

Edited by adb968008