• RMweb Premium

Would that be the Dragon or powder Clive ?

Village People

How should I know, they only told me if it went below 50 cycles per second it would go "PUFF" and as a shy 16 year old you don't ask questions when something is so important if it went wrong everything would go "PUFF". I use to spend all my shift keeping an eye on the dial that showed we were driving our power station at 50 cycles a second. I didn't want to go home and have to explain to my mum why everything had gone "PUFF".

In the control room, and I think every power station was the same, was a speaker that would sound the 4 minute warning for when things would go with a big "PUFF". I use to keep an ear open for that was well as an eye on that dial. Scary place a control room of a power station.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

My dad was Shift Charge Engineer at Connahs Quay Power Station. He told me they used to get a call from Grid Control on a Saturday evening at about 9:00 pm, asking for more power. This was to give the boilers enough time to increase steam pressure before the football on tv ended ( when the nation put the kettle on).

Later, when he worked at Dinorwic he'd get a similar call, and due to the instant nature of the hydro scheme, the power ( and hence the voltage and hertz) would be up to the required values before he'd written down the request details.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3

We got given an Alexa by the dreaded Mother-in-Law as a Christmas gift - despite having ben told by SWMBO that I wouldn't have on in the house.

OF course she has no interest in issues like surveillance or snooping, or that fact that everything Alexa hears gets stored on Amazon's servers, so expected to visit us on NYE and see it in action.

After some quick thinking I explained that as we have an Apple Mac network it is very difficult to connect Alexa to it as Apple has its own system.

Even my brother in law, who hates apple anyway, agreed this was plausible.

Sopin case anyone wants one going 'cheep' We have one about to arrive on Ebay!

• Like 1

My Son-in-law bought one of the damned things for Christmas and I experienced it yesterday, what a load of carp ! I'm firmly in the "won't entertain one " camp.

He even bought some responsive light bulbs to use with it. I still use my fingers and don't have to pay a monthly subscription to use 'em.

Strangely, she / it couldn't or more like wouldn't answer some of my more "interesting" questions and requests which I will leave to the readers imagination !

Big up the AppleMac !! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My dad was Shift Charge Engineer at Connahs Quay Power Station. He told me they used to get a call from Grid Control on a Saturday evening at about 9:00 pm, asking for more power.

Was there anyone there who would answer, 'Och Captain, if I give her any more, she'll blow!'

What happens if it goes "PIFF, PAFF or POFF?

What about PEFF? Or the Welsh PYFF?

Is there some kind of discrimination at play here?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I tend to revist An English Cross Country Railway on a regular basis but, yes, Hugh Ballantynes images are a splendid record.

Roll on the 1P I say.

Rob.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My first and favourite S&D book.

Bought mine with money I had for my 14th birthday.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Bought mine with money I had for my 14th birthday.

Rob

Christmas present, probably sold to my old man by Whitemans Bookshop Saturday boy, Not Jeremy, of this parish. Now owner of Wild Swan Books and the Titfield Thunderbolt Bookshop.

• RMweb Gold

Pray tell...

He got the job when I left and moved on to other things.

I remember the anticipation and excitement when that book came out. I still have my original edition and it's one of my favourite S&D books. The images were astounding, especially to someone who only really knew those published in the David & Charles books hitherto.

• Like 1