Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, younGGuns7 said:

Why do these topics disappear into the most bizarre and far off distant lands, can we get back to the real world 

Lack of new models to look at,

once they arrive everyones eyes will be down on the bingo card.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Testing out the soon to be released Hornby TXS sounds in my Deltic resulted in very bad vibrations from the em2 so I finally bit the bullet and took off the chains to get the body off. 

speaker stuck down with small amounts of black tac, decoder end brackets superglued down as there’s clearly no metal below the holes in the pcb to accept screws. I also fitted the crew whilst the body was off.

then on to the chains! Oh my days, what a job. Needless to say I’m going to have to touch up the black bits and I bent one airhorn cracking off some blue paint too. Hope a railmatch banger blue is a good match but painting will have to wait for another day - my nerves are shot 😉😯😂

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, LMSfan72 said:

Won’t that blow the decoder? EM2 is 4ohm and with the sugar cube in parallel it will drop more won’t it? I think the amplifier in the TXS needs 8ohm. Correct me if I’m wrong!

The sugar cube is in series with the em2, so I’m told. I did have to drop the volume below 33% when testing the 21 pin with class 50 sounds though.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 29/06/2023 at 23:54, Paul W said:

Does anyone have any unopened detail packs for the AS Deltic which they are willing to part with?

Please message me if you have.

Thanks

Paul

I believe Accurascale can supply them

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Ok im curious. I have the purple beast on preorder for the next run. Looking through all the details on the site, it shows bufferbeam detail and version 3. But there’s still 2 options in that version. Is that one for each end of the loco? 

IMG_3016.jpeg

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

Ok im curious. I have the purple beast on preorder for the next run. Looking through all the details on the site, it shows bufferbeam detail and version 3. But there’s still 2 options in that version. Is that one for each end of the loco? 

IMG_3016.jpeg

Yes each end is slightly different, the difference is the exhauster outlet pipes. The pictures above, the one on the left is Number 2 end and the one on the right is Number 1 end.

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, RHF9019 said:

Yes each end is slightly different, the difference is the exhauster outlet pipes. The pictures above, the one on the left is Number 2 end and the one on the right is Number 1 end.

Number 1 end having the exhauster access panel on the side of the nose.

Roy

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

@Hilux5972.  Have a careful look at the removable bufferbeams, they are slightly different as only one has dimples to take the exhauster pipes.  This caught me out initially as all three of my Deltics had the 'exhauster pipe capable' bufferbeams at the wrong end i.e. the #2 end.  So I had to swap the bufferbeams over.

Roy above has identified the #1 end for you.

Steve

Edited by 55020
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Apologies for going back nearly a month but I'm just catching up.

I agree with ERIC ALLTORQUE in his comment on 17 June, which reminded me about a very valuable lesson I learned (showing my age here) from the legendary Frank Dyer in terms of rationalising the reason for, and history of, the fictitious location that you model, if only on the basis that very few of us have the luxury of being able to model the full length of a real location.

In terms of the Deltics, with assistance from Railtec I am also now running an Accurascale 55023 Cameron Highlander. Heresy to some I know, but my rationalisation for this, admittedly slightly altering history, is that after the success of DP1, the decision was made to have a fleet of 25 EE Type 5s, including DP1. 24 production body shells were built, one ultimately becoming DP2, leaving 23.

I do wonder what would have happened had DP1 not been withdrawn. It always seemed to me that it wouldn't have been a huge investment, by comparison to the production of a new locomotive, to have given it to the apprentices at Vulcan Foundry or perhaps at Crewe for a complete electrical upgrade to the production version, perhaps with new engines, main generators, etc., fitted at the same time. I wonder if they'd have removed the headlight cowls from the bonnets, and ultimately what liveries it might have carried, assuming they wouldn't have just kept it in either of its West Coast or East Coast minor variants.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, RHF9019 said:

Excellent thanks for that. Good to have assumptions confirmed. 

5 hours ago, 55020 said:

@Hilux5972.  Have a careful look at the removable bufferbeams, they are slightly different as only one has dimples to take the exhauster pipes.  This caught me out initially as all three of my Deltics had the 'exhauster pipe capable' bufferbeams at the wrong end i.e. the #2 end.  So I had to swap the bufferbeams over.

Roy above has identified the #1 end for you.

Steve

So suggestable to do one end at a time rather than take both buffer beams off perhaps? Thanks for the tips. Will make sure they are correct. Will probably only end up detailing one end anyway so it can still pull using tension locks. Cheers for the replies guys. 

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, tlm said:

I do wonder what would have happened had DP1 not been withdrawn. It always seemed to me that it wouldn't have been a huge investment, by comparison to the production of a new locomotive, to have given it to the apprentices at Vulcan Foundry or perhaps at Crewe for a complete electrical upgrade to the production version, perhaps with new engines, main generators, etc., fitted at the same time. I wonder if they'd have removed the headlight cowls from the bonnets, and ultimately what liveries it might have carried, assuming they wouldn't have just kept it in either of its West Coast or East Coast minor variants.

Deltic was withdrawn in March 1961, around the time D9002/3 were delivered.

DP2 was reputed to be inbetween line numbers 17 and 18 in service in November 1961.

That puts 8 month between them.

My guess is, when Deltic was stopped in 1960, they maybe would have considered it to be converted into the prototype class 50, but around March 1961 decided a new build would be better than a rebuild, hence DP2’s place in the middle of the class 55 production line.

interstingly also in March 1961, A delegation from the Russian railways visited EE, I wonder what they thought of this “museum piece” ? At this same point in time GT3 was in the headlines on its milestone test runs on Shap, following events at Marylebone, so had quite definitely got the limelight, oddly competing for the same Shap prize DP2 would eventually take.

Edited by adb968008

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I noticed today that ESU now have a Class 55 Deltic sound file as a free download for the Loksound 5 decoder.  Along with Classes 08/31/47/57.
What a great development, and dare I say long overdue.  Hopefully more classes to come.

I wonder if the AS collaboration has been the catalyst?

Steve

• Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, 55020 said:

I noticed today that ESU now have a Class 55 Deltic sound file as a free download for the Loksound 5 decoder.  Along with Classes 08/31/47/57.
What a great development, and dare I say long overdue.  Hopefully more classes to come.

I wonder if the AS collaboration has been the catalyst?

Steve

I do wonder if it IS the AS sound project. I say this as their downloads for some v4 and v3.5 steam.projects sound exactly like the Hornby sound files for those models (well st least the 7mt which I have). So i wonder if after a year ESU reserve the right to distribute the projects they developed?

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

49 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

08 seems a strange one, AS mentioned in a news letter a possible new announcement at the making tracks 3 weekend they are hosting, an 08 maybe? putting 2 and 2 together and getting -4 :)

Remember this will be a combination of all UK sound projects. Hornby has a v4 decoder in the 08 I believe, and possibly their 31. Bachmann might have used ESU for their 47 and 57. ESU can always have updated the original masters to V5 files.

I thought that the AS sounds for the 31 and 66 were being done by a UK third party, rather than ESU who lead on the 55?

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

08 seems a strange one, AS mentioned in a news letter a possible new announcement at the making tracks 3 weekend they are hosting, an 08 maybe? putting 2 and 2 together and getting -4 :)

An 08 sound file has been on the ESU website for years. Do not know if they have updated as it certainly was there before the loksound v5 and probably the v4 also.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jonnyuk said:

Would be very surprised to see an 08. Market is well covered and the Hornby model will be heard to beat in terms of shape and detail, yet the older Bachmann model continues to sell.