KRModels announce a GT3 Model

micklner

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

OK. Back to the model and please stick to the model. This thread has been toxic, but the GT3 is here so we can discuss that rather than whether it will arrive. 

its like a handforth parish council meeting!

Must admit i didnt know about the GT3 model but having seen the vid and andys pic i think i may put an expression of interest in for the 2nd run 

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I have ordered the DCC ready version, so the first thing that  am going to have to do after I have run it up and down my yard of test track glued to a bit of 2 X 1 is to take it apart to fit a decoder in. This is always a difficult time for me. I;ll let you know how I get on.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Many years ago, Ken Leeming, an esteemed 0 Gauge modeller in the Model Railway Club, wrote an fascinating article for the Club’s Bulletin in which he described an excellent cab ride on an engine from Rugby to Euston. He finished it, if I recollect correctly with, ‘...and I finally stepped off the footplate of GT3’. I’m sure it’ll be in the Club archives somewhere. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, CF MRC said:

Many years ago, Ken Leeming, an esteemed 0 Gauge modeller in the Model Railway Club, wrote an fascinating article for the Club’s Bulletin in which he described an excellent cab ride on an engine from Rugby to Euston. He finished it, if I recollect correctly with, ‘...and I finally stepped off the footplate of GT3’. I’m sure it’ll be in the Club archives somewhere. 

Tim

Are you sure that it was Euston? Not Marylebone?

John Isherwood.

For those interested in the model, I uploaded another video this morning that has:

• Opening the tender and a look inside
  • Rattling noise was the glazing that fell inside the tender
  • Follow up on the loose screw that fell out the speaker hole
  • An issue with the contact plate and how I fixed it
  • New footage without music (some people asked to hear the motor)
  • Raw test footage showing the issue with the contact plate (before it was fixed)
  • The GT3 front bogie developed a squeak, loosening the front bogie screw a half turn fixed it

I wanted to point out that I'm just a customer, thought the GT3 was worth risking the money, and I'm very happy that I took that risk.

Yes I got burnt by DJ Models over the APT, out about 260 quid. I can tell you now that having put the GT3 through its paces, these guys are more like Accurascale and Rapido than DJ Models, from the quality of the model to the professionalism of the company towards their customers. Looking forward to the Fell, Iron Ore Wagons and the upcoming Leader!

So far its been a fantastic model, one of the best models I've picked up in the past decade, so well done to @krmodels

Here is the new video:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, oorail said:

For those interested in the model, I uploaded another video this morning that has:

• Opening the tender and a look inside
  • Rattling noise was the glazing that fell inside the tender
  • Follow up on the loose screw that fell out the speaker hole
  • An issue with the contact plate and how I fixed it
  • New footage without music (some people asked to hear the motor)
  • Raw test footage showing the issue with the contact plate (before it was fixed)
  • The GT3 front bogie developed a squeak, loosening the front bogie screw a half turn fixed it

I wanted to point out that I'm just a customer, thought the GT3 was worth risking the money, and I'm very happy that I took that risk.

Yes I got burnt by DJ Models over the APT, out about 260 quid. I can tell you now that having put the GT3 through its paces, these guys are more like Accurascale and Rapido than DJ Models, from the quality of the model to the professionalism of the company towards their customers. Looking forward to the Fell, Iron Ore Wagons and the upcoming Leader!

So far its been a fantastic model, one of the best models I've picked up in the past decade, so well done to @krmodels

Thanks for the video. It shows how to get to the blanking plate to fit a decoder.

• Like 1

Wow! The GT3 looks amazing and looks like a good runner if the videos I’ve seen are anything to go by. Can’t wait for mine to arrive! 

I hope this will prove the naysayers wrong but there’s always a few that won’t be convinced... 

Oh well that’s always the way.

Still I think they missed out on a fantastic model. Maybe on the 2nd run eh?

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

When are the GT3s expected to ship in the UK ?

They should be in the country by the end of the month, hoping nothing goes wrong. Once they are, we will be sending out a general email, as well as tracking information for each customer.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, melmerby said:

That looks a good runner, nice smooth starts and stops

I was actually a bit heavy-handed on that clip, step 1/128 gave a crawl equivalent to less than a scale 1 mph. Very good for a large wheel loco. It was also remarkably stable on the rolling road right through the speed range.

I'd omitted to include DCC fitting in the review I've written but the tender body unclips easily and it's all there - a 60 second job.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

It looks and sounds superb! Hub caps. :good: As Andy says, very smooth take offs for a large-wheeled loco. Probably it was a good thing that K & M allowed themselves to be persuaded to leave off the gearing and let the coupling rods do their job. I assume that the lights below the headcode lights are the tail lights and they are individually controlled rather than directional. End of the month? Just how am I supposed to remain patient?

Just one question. Can it take off and go into a vertical climb? :O

• Like 7

I saw a Lightning do the same at Speke Airport, Liverpool when they had an air display - early 70's perhaps - very impressive.

It also came in from the Mersey, upside down and along the 'old runway' then blasted straight up!!

The same display saw an F-4 scorch the runway by having afterburners lit on taking off, and a Hercules apparently cracking the fuselage demonstrating its STOL capabilities ... don't know if that's true.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/02/2021 at 04:51, AY Mod said:

A short clip of a full review (text and video for those with the digital edition) which will appear in the next issue of BRM.

That’s a very impressive crawl. Nice and smooth 

• Agree 1