Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

More model ideas

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

But, just to add more confusion cars from (almost) all parts of the United Kingdom traditionally carry "GB" plates when being used abroad. 

Great Britain is indeed the large island containing  just the English/Scottish/Welsh mainland. 

However, whilst "Britain" is "officially" a synonym, that understanding is probably redundant (in at least one sense of the word).

In common usage, "Britain" is nowadays more frequently taken as synonymous with the United Kingdom as a whole, including Northern Ireland and all the smaller islands. 

John

Although since some point in 2021 (September?) cars should now carry a UK mark, not GB. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

27 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Although since some point in 2021 (September?) cars should now carry a UK mark, not GB. 

Roy

We are getting wildly off topic but, curiously, GBM, GBJ, GBG GBA and GBZ remain. I once saw a car with the registration plate GBZ 1704. I should have bought the car and offered it to the Governor of Gibraltar! (GBZ is Gibraltar and 1704 is the year the British captured it.)

• Like 1

Must admit, I liked the idea of the A4.

There is another manufacturer in the mix there, Dapol. 

The 'Black' series is supposed to be uber top-of-the-range, but they could easily downgrade slightly the same model. Possibly not an ideal idea, but would be a very popular model.

Al.

If we're staying with steam, one which would definitely be popular, as it's about to return to service soon, would be 71000 DoG.

Hornby have a 'Railroad' and a 'Railroad plus' model, which is nearly very nice, but failing on many fronts which could be easily set to rights with a keen alternative model.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 03/06/2022 at 18:31, 60800 said:

Hi Gary, this one was made out of spares - the only thing I had to buy was a loco body. It's mostly current tool Hornby, but the tender top was from a GBL Flying Scotsman, with wire handrails added. Since the new body I bought was valanced, I had to cut away the valances and scratchbuild the details underneath and the smokebox access hatches. 

If you wanted to do it directly from a Hornby model though, something like 60029 which turns up on eBay fairly frequently would suit 🙂

No-one does the correct '9' in that Yellow, so ones I fitted are the closest I could get. 

710031524_PXL_20220421_163843955.NIGHT2.thumb.jpg.bbe870919c83553d0fd7fb6ed9b09b9e.jpg

Cheers,

Thanks for the info I'll keep a look out. 👍

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've worked it out.  The Peco 'toot' count down is the giveaway - toot could be translated as 4mm scale on tt - 12mm gauge - track so it needs so trains to run on it - and where was 3ft gauge widely used?   The Accurascale/IRM chaps are great at bringing new ideas into the market so it won't just be Accurascale but actually joint with IRM opening up a whole new area of narrow gauge for modellers.  But starting perhaps with an Anglo-Irish link so maybe the BNCR/NCC?  Or would 'Nancy' on the revived piece of the C&L be a better prospect as she exists to be measured etc and originally worked in England as an industrial?

Now about that trip to Blarney Castle - gosh taht was along time ago😇

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 03/06/2022 at 16:23, scots region said:

spacer.png

Fran never said it was British now, did she.

On 03/06/2022 at 16:45, Accurascale Fran said:

I have some interesting news for you @scots region.... 🤣

I guess Scots region hasn't met Fran, or Fran has something else to tell us all.......😉

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

What with Peco drip feeding "TooTgate" and Accurascale announcing, anyone taking bets on Margate deciding to muscle in and announce a Platinum Jubilee purple "Lion" to use up all the stock they couldn't use as Trains On Film?

I don't think they actually have a 'lion' it was most likely never more than CGI. 

Edited by scots region
  • Agree 1

On 03/06/2022 at 11:06, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

As you may know, we like to step back from this thread and let the free flow of ideas come from you all. However, as part of a teasing interjection we will have an all new OO gauge announcement on Monday, so feel free to wildly speculate on what it might be over the bank holiday weekend.

Cheers!

Fran 

It's Monday; can I order my A4's now? 😛😇

Cheers,

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

I see there is an announcement video at midday today. Fran and co working on a bank holiday :)

Owning your own business does tend to kill the concept of holidays and weekends... Since we set up a company in 2005, I think I have had one holiday  where I did not take a laptop with me to do work.

Roy

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

They did say another loco would not be announced until the Deltics are shipped. Considering that they appear to be going out the warehouse imminently...