Accurascale's First Steam Locomotive; GWR Collett 78xx Manor Class!

And the Siphon G.

Actually I don't have a problem with the current period of focus, even though it limits what I will be interested in. I rather like the more strategic focus on filling the gaps in what is available, together with the production of complementary locos/coaches/wagons. I am sure that more earlier stuff will appear sooner or later.

• Like 5

On 23/07/2023 at 10:21, Pteremy said:

And the Siphon G.

Actually I don't have a problem with the current period of focus, even though it limits what I will be interested in. I rather like the more strategic focus on filling the gaps in what is available, together with the production of complementary locos/coaches/wagons. I am sure that more earlier stuff will appear sooner or later.

Yes this is absolutely true , lococ such as the lner k4 or taking a loco that only lima have produced and making a better , more modern version . no disrespect to lima but for modern dcc operations its just not optimal 

37 minutes ago, Lord Cooper said:

Yes this is absolutely true , lococ such as the lner k4 or taking a loco that only lima have produced and making a better , more modern version . no disrespect to lima but for modern dcc operations its just not optimal 

I’m absolutely with you when it comes to the K4 but that’s my individual taste. I was disappointed when a K1 was announced by Hornby only to realise it was a Peppercorn rather than a Gresley. (Blast Thompson for messing up a perfectly good system.) Not that I dislike Pep’s product, on the contrary. It’s just that I would have preferred the Gresley offering.

So far I have resisted Accurascale and Bachmann’s 37 and Bachmann’s 47 for that matter. I have some older generation 37s and 47s and I’m content with them. On the other hand, I have aquired an Accurascale 92. Neither the Hornby nor the Lima versions are good enough in my eyes. Likewise, I’m not much interested in a Castle or a King but I’d shatter my piggy bank for a decent Saint and possibly for a decent Star. Others may draw the line in a different location.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I’m absolutely with you when it comes to the K4 but that’s my individual taste. I was disappointed when a K1 was announced by Hornby only to realise it was a Peppercorn rather than a Gresley. (Blast Thompson for messing up a perfectly good system.) Not that I dislike Pep’s product, on the contrary. It’s just that I would have preferred the Gresley offering.

So far I have resisted Accurascale and Bachmann’s 37 and Bachmann’s 47 for that matter. I have some older generation 37s and 47s and I’m content with them. On the other hand, I have aquired an Accurascale 92. Neither the Hornby nor the Lima versions are good enough in my eyes. Likewise, I’m not much interested in a Castle or a King but I’d shatter my piggy bank for a decent Saint and possibly for a decent Star. Others may draw the line in a different location.

Resistance is futile... buy one of the new Accurascale 37s and your wallet will weep. Similarly the Bachmann 47s, my third SFX Class 47 model arrived today.

I too though that my current 37s and 47s were ok, until I bought a one to the standard.

Roy

• RMweb Gold
On 21/07/2023 at 11:50, Limpley Stoker said:

I’ve just had to tell my 42 year old Mainline Manor she can retire I’ve given her three weeks notice which should be about right !

Me too , wish her luck as we wave me goodbye. Cheerio, here we go , on my way.

843719296_ManorA.jpg.fe9cd5719142097f444e9e3394e35972.jpg.f2b3db878e0b6545c4bdf88a0c4745af.jpg

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

48 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Resistance is futile... buy one of the new Accurascale 37s and your wallet will weep. Similarly the Bachmann 47s, my third SFX Class 47 model arrived today.

I too though that my current 37s and 47s were ok, until I bought a one to the standard.

Roy

Fair enough. I might have gone for a green 47 had I not just bought an older model green one. The thing is, the shutters on all but the earliest ones move and are far more obvious than spinning fans under a grill. I’m still not convinced, not that I would want to spoil your fun. If there were not so much else floating about making my wallet weep, it might be different. The aforementioned K4 would reduce it to tears as Honby’s forthcoming Standard 2 is likely to do.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

843719296_ManorA.jpg.fe9cd5719142097f444e9e3394e35972.jpg.f2b3db878e0b6545c4bdf88a0c4745af.jpg

Face lift surgery ar age 40 didnt save her….

IMG_0690.jpeg

Edited by Limpley Stoker
It’s the Mainline/Bachmann Manor retirement party!
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, gwrrob said:

need to remove the nameplates before the final journey.

No plan for a Bachmann Manor Preservation Group then ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

No plan for a Bachmann Manor Preservation Group then ?

They need to be left to rust in a seaside scrapyard for a few years first.,.. 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

They need to be left to rust in a seaside scrapyard for a few years first.,.. 

Art mimicking life.

The Bachmann manor has provided more years service than the real ones

The youngest Manor was 7825 with 13 years.
Bachmanns last Manor was 7819 in 2010 also now 13 years.

Bachmanns own 7825 was 2005-7 18 years.

Bachmanns first manors were 1990 (33 years ago), which is longer than 7802 with a service life of 27 years.

as for Mainline…well that arrived in 1980, a service life of 43 years.

* stats from BRDatabase.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

as for Mainline…well that arrived in 1980, a service life of 43 years.

Essentially the same as the initial Bachmann release before it was re-motored.

I've still got my Mainline one although about 12 (?) months or so ago the plastic axles eventually gave up and it lost it's quartering.

Been running on DCC for many years, although in semi retirement.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

So what actually happens to Mainline and Bachmann Manors, when withdrawn from service?

It would be nice to think that some of them at least will benefit some of the surviving real loco's. The Erlestoke Manor Fund for example runs an excellent shop selling all sorts of second hand railway related materials including models from  a converted parcels van at Bewdley station - I'm sure they would welcome a supply of  donated 'withdrawn' Manors :)

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

49 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

It would be nice to think that some of them at least will benefit some of the surviving real loco's. The Erlestoke Manor Fund for example runs an excellent shop selling all sorts of second hand railway related materials including models from  a converted parcels van at Bewdley station - I'm sure they would welcome a supply of  donated 'withdrawn' Manors :)

Not volunteering but maybe a magazine article on refurbishing a mainline manor would be good timing?  (could make same argument about Class 31/37s)

You could sell them for the tenders. Many of my tenders are from Bachy mogul and Manors with life expired chassis. Recovered any reuseable parts that could see further life in kit build locos, cylinders, cab backhead, buffer heads, etc, the rest in recycling, but tenders give many more years service, just like the real tenders. I am not wasting my time kit building a tender when I can refurbish a perfectly good rtr body.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

So what actually happens to Mainline and Bachmann Manors, when withdrawn from service?

They are placed into (cardboard) box tunnel and held as part of a strategic reserve for when we run out of DCC controllers and have to revert to analogue operations 🤣

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Ed-farms said:

when we run out of DCC controllers and have to revert to analogue operations 🤣

A horrendous prospect for some of us. So many sections to wire to individual switches. But it would stimulate the market in plumbers' spectacles - where the 'close' part of the lens is at the top for working under the baseboard, in contrast to ordinary varifocals/bifocals, where the close part is at the bottom. 

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

But it would stimulate the market in plumbers' spectacles - where the 'close' part of the lens is at the top for working under the baseboard, in contrast to ordinary varifocals/bifocals, where the close part is at the bottom. 

Snooker Players likewise

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I think I found the Manor scrapyard…

15 Manor bodies for £75..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?item=305034232417&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562&_ssn=djstn12

That’s almost as sad as the real things in a scrap yard. My Manor won’t be scrapped. It hasn’t been heavily used, so is still in a reasonable state. It is noisy and not as smooth as the new models but a little careful lubrication of these old Mainlne and Bachmann models gets them running reasonably well. Whilst it’s possible to convert them to DCC, it really isn’t worth the bother. It’ll get run from time to time because I’m sentimental about my ancient models. They were beautiful in their day and far outclassed Airfix and Hornby.

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1