Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Have your say with Rapido

rapidoandy

On 01/04/2024 at 09:57, phil gollin said:

One of the manufacturers really has to bite the bullet and produce a full range of "generic" short (ish) bogie coaches suitable for the (approx) 1900 to 1920+ period.

I would suggest that the better signs on this front have been the Bachmann SECR birdcages, Dapol GW toplights and now Ellis Clark's announcement of the GNR/LNER 'Quad Arts'. Let's have 'character' stock true to prototype. There's plenty enough choices to go round all the brands competing in 4mm...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I would suggest that the better signs on this front have been the Bachmann SECR birdcages, Dapol GW toplights and now Ellis Clark's announcement of the GNR/LNER 'Quad Arts'. Let's have 'character' stock true to prototype. There's plenty enough choices to go round all the brands competing in 4mm...

Absolutely, I will only buy true prototypes for my trainset (even if I use them un-prototypically).  I don't mind paying for the uniqueness / quality either, Toplights and Cross Country Sets as personal examples.

Top stuff 👍

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/06/2023 at 12:55, mattingleycustom said:

I have suggested the SR U Class 2-6-0 as worth consideration on more than one occasion.

There were 50 of them (albeit 20 were rebuilt K Class) and no less than four of them are preserved!

The loco wheel base is the same for the U1 Class and W Class (albeit with smaller wheels) giving a further 36 options.

Please make a U-Boat before I draw my pension!

Glenn

I've just noticed that for the K&ESR's 50th Anniversary Gala (over 01-02JUN), No 31806 will be visiting from the Swanage Railway and "is sponsored by Rapido Trains" - surely, this can mean only one thing? 🤔

Given O1 Class No 65 is already confirmed to be visiting from the Bluebell, could be a 'big' weekend for the team...

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2024/04/steam-locomotive-76017-to-be-based-in-kent-for-2024.html

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, greatcoleswoodhalt said:

I've just noticed that for the K&ESR's 50th Anniversary Gala (over 01-02JUN), No 31806 will be visiting from the Swanage Railway and "is sponsored by Rapido Trains" - surely, this can mean only one thing? 🤔

Today on Facebook they've cryptically used the song Beyond the Sea in a post about tomorrow's newsletter, it's a stretch, but a "U boat" perhaps 😅

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Today on Facebook they've cryptically used the song Beyond the Sea in a post about tomorrow's newsletter, it's a stretch, but a "U boat" perhaps 😅

So they did!  It's all slotting in to place...

• Like 1

Oh I love watching this…

Maybe it’s just a case of I fancied seeing the U on a railway I drive on. There was one on the railway in the first days of preservation.

Or maybe we’re not making the U but ‘River Rother’.

Or maybe Rapido UK are buying Marcia

Or a new Norwegian mogul

Or a new bucket!

Or maybe it’s nowt at all…

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Or maybe it’s nowt at all…

...as well it might be, but it gave me a very enjoyable few minutes of distraction from work!

Whatever the outcome, thank you for supporting the visit - look forward to attending and seeing her attack Tenterden bank.

Edited by greatcoleswoodhalt
  • Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Oh I love watching this…

Having a whale of a time?

Don't listen to these urchins and minnows; they're talking pollocks. You can try and winkle it out of me but my lips are seal and I won't tell a sole. 

It'll all fall into plaice tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Don't listen to these urchins and minnows; they're talking pollocks. You can try and winkle it out of me but my lips are seal and I won't tell a sole. 

Methinks you are fishing for compliments?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

You forgot bloater in all that fishy business.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

You forgot bloater in all that fishy business.

I've been on a diet I'll have you know. 😛

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 01/04/2024 at 11:19, PhilJ W said:

Most of the Hatton's generic coaches sold out on pre-order but the Hornby ones didn't do so well judging by the numbers discounted by many outlets. This could be put down to several factors such as Hornby's 'bandwagon jumping' such as with the Titfield Thunderbolt. When Hatton's announced their generic coaches Hornby had some Victorian/Edwardian coaches in the pipeline and decided to produce them in several liveries as generic coaches though they were based on a specific railway.

And also the fact that Hornbys efforts:

(1) Are done to a far lower standard with much more reliance on moulded on detail

(2) Are very much a LBSCR Stoudley body design

(2) Have rubbish interiors

(3) Are fitted with Westinghouse air brake equipment and Stroudley emergency communication system (which means no external items visible)

As such I have only purchased 4 of Hornbys efforts (all LBSCR versions) but have many times that number of the Hattons offering in a multitude of liveries....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Cod almighty that's bad ! 

• Agree 3

Good evening folks,

I for one will be perch-ed here waiting, if you're looking forward to something exciting it will be worth a zander.

What time will the frothing pike?  🤔

Cheers, Nigel.

Where's the groan button when you need it?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good evening folks,

I for one will be perch-ed here waiting, if you're looking forward to something exciting it will be worth a zander.

What time will the frothing pike?  🤔

Cheers, Nigel.

Where's the groan button when you need it?

image.png.ba9078f2a6f20d5664723be7fb89a030.png

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good morning folks,

If I start playing 'Take me to the river' (Talking Heads version) will that help?

Cheers, Nigel.

You mean you don’t want this version? 

Take me to the river

• Funny 2

On 16/04/2024 at 17:16, CUCKOO LINE said:

We're there not some LBSCR push pull sets that survived well into BR days ? ..

Just about the only Brighton coaches to last into BR days, unfortunately .......... except on the Isle of Widget, of course.

23 hours ago, greatcoleswoodhalt said:

... No 31806 will be visiting from the Swanage Railway and "is sponsored by Rapido Trains" - surely, this can mean only one thing? ..

If it does - Please, PLEASE, Rapido don't model its tender in current state : they seem to have mounted a 3500 gallon body on the chassis from a 4000 gallon tender ..................... yes  I know some people like models of locos AS CURRENTLY PRESERVED - but I don't, I'm afraid. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Good morning folks,

A Brighton K or a River/U/U1 would be brill, perhaps we will have to let Andy & Co. mullet over?

Pre or post-groupper ing, either way they would be snapper-ed up.

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 2