Revolution announce Class 120 in N

newbryford

• RMweb Gold
Just now, newbryford said:

http://www.revolutiontrains.com/swindon-120/?fbclid=IwAR1BASt-JaVoAHeTPfP8eNyanNkdb-QKwyf_dU56wQFtr25JWJkYm85r240

Waits for the make it in 00 calls.....................

Not my area of interest, but a good choice for the Revolution team.

Oooh yes please!!!! In 4mm that is …, 😀

• Like 1
  • Agree 14
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

So as there are none in existence and the measurements are from the surviving similar class 126, the logical progression would be to follow this with the ugly duckling Scottish Inter-city units, then hopefully progress to the more glamourous Trans-Pennine units after that....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I’m sure my very first train ride was on one of these, mid 1970s, from Whatstandwell (Derbyshire, on the Matlock line) to Derby.

Later spotting days revealed they were regular’s on the Derby to Nottingham line, probably on Crewe to Nottingham or even Grantham services. I didn’t get much beyond those places in them there days.

Hmmm, memories.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Kris said:

Hmmm, need to do some research on this one to see if they fit the model area. Where were they first allocated in the western region?

Pretty well everywhere… although perhaps not common in the London division. 

They took over Birmingham to Cardiff workings from the 79xxx inter-city workings …. They were at Bristol and Plymouth too

Have you seen This page?

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Very common in the Bristol area, when I did my spotting at Worle Junction (Weston-super-Mare) in the mid 70's, from what I recall from my sketchy memory, they seemed to be the most common DMU.

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

I’m sure my very first train ride was on one of these, mid 1970s, from Whatstandwell (Derbyshire, on the Matlock line) to Derby.

Later spotting days revealed they were regular’s on the Derby to Nottingham line, probably on Crewe to Nottingham or even Grantham services. I didn’t get much beyond those places in them there days.

Hmmm, memories.

They were the mainstay of the Crewe to Lincoln (St Marks until 1985) services for years, amongst others in the East Midlands - see https://railcar.co.uk/type/class-120/operations - which makes them a must have for my pipe dream Lincolnshire layout.  A pleasant surprise!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Pretty well everywhere… although perhaps not common in the London division. 

They took over Birmingham to Cardiff workings from the 79xxx inter-city workings …. They were at Bristol and Plymouth too

Just done a little research. 1959, the first allocation saw them sent to Cardiff. 1964 Saw them go to Bristol and Plymouth. Possibly a few years too late for my layout. Some thinking to do. 

• RMweb Gold

I'll definitely be interested provided they do a sound-fitted version (they didn't for the 128—I might have bought it if they had, but a 128 is a "nice-to-have" rather than a must-have for me, as is the 120, for that matter). In my experience sounds adds even more to a DMU than it does to a diesel loco.

• RMweb Premium

Revolution do seem to have this knack of producing stuff in N that we really want in OO  ie 320, 313/314. And now a 120 .  I know they do do OO . Does the fact they are not making them in that scale suggest they think someone else is …………………….

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

In my experience sounds adds even more to a DMU than it does to a diesel loco.

Unfortunately it also adds additional cost that has many people sucking through their teeth with caution when told how much plus the usual arguments with people preferring different manufacturers sound bits.

All too technical for an analogue dinosaur like me, I'll take a West Highland running vanilla one please in blue and grey....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Pretty well everywhere…

Have you seen This page?

43 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I've never seen a photo of a 120 on the West Highland — I thought the first DMUs were the 156s (except for the "Mexican bean").

If you follow the link in Phil's post to the Railcar website Class 120 page and then look at the sub menus on the left then there are two Scottish Region sub pages, certainly the 1958-86 page has a photo of one unit at Oban. (The sites photo search system includes a West Highland menu.)

There are also photos of them in old Bradford Barton series of books of them running on the 6 Lochs tours in Green livery and possibly also on the Oban route in Blue (Grey ?) There may also be an odd photo in Irishswissernie's flickr site.

I'll now be on the lookout for more photos of these units on the WHL, maybe time for an individual thread ? Other DMUs seen on the WHL before the Class 156s include Class 101 and Class 122, not forgetting the Railbuses on the Arrochar shuttles.

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by 03060
Correction.
  • Like 1

Great News indeed. Having nagged Ben for some time for a Class 120, I guess I will have to buy a few and start thinking about a layout for them!

In terms of where they ran, as others have noted, a lot of places at one time or another including:

Devon and Cornwall - main line and most branches especially Falmouth, Newquay and Barnstaple 

Bristol to Exeter and beyond, Weymouth, Cardiff and South west Wales 

Birmingham to Bristol/Cardiff, Norwich, East Midlands and Lincoln 

Mid Wales 

Cardiff to Crewe, Manchester and North Wales 

In Scotland their main route was Aberdeen to Inverness although they were tried on other routes.

In other words if you model a branch line or main line in the South West, Wales or the Midlands, you can justify one.

Regards 

Nick 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Legend said:

Revolution do seem to have this knack of producing stuff in N that we really want in OO  ie 320, 313/314. And now a 120 .  I know they do do OO . Does the fact they are not making them in that scale suggest they think someone else is …………………….

Or maybe they'd rather announce a OO version somewhere other than TINGS ?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

One of Heljans reasons for cancelling their O gauge version was the difficulty in obtaining drawings. 

Presumably the lads at Revolution have circumvented this obstacle…

Yeah, I was thinking about that when this model was announced but Revolution have said that they have measured up some of the preserved Class 126 vehicles which are supposedly quite similar. This has made me wonder though exactly how different/similar are the Class 126 & 120?

• Like 1