RMweb

Hornby 2023 - New tooling - DELTIC prototype - Hornby Dublo

AY Mod

3 minutes ago, maico said:

When I bought the sound version, after a heads-up from this forum, there were 38 still in stock. The following day 16 then zero the day after.

But there's no confirmation from Hornby and we have no knowledge of how many of this will be allocated to model shops. As Mike has said, "we don't know". Pre-orders don't necessarily translate into definite sales and there's a long wait until the estimated delivery time. As I said earlier, "Time will tell".

It's a well known sales tactic to say something is selling well or sold out to hype sales.  (I'm not saying Hornby has done this).

The folk at Hornby obviously think it will be a money spinner for them. I look forward to seeing the photographs of the pre production samples.

8 minutes ago, maico said:

the sound one was surprisingly only £30 more

It's only a three channel sound chip. A one channel improvement on the earlier own brand Hornby decoder but still way less sophisticated than the more costly Zimo or ESU offerings.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

only a three channel sound chip

and bluetooth...

RRP of these is around £70 for the 21 pin version. Normal RRP price difference between TXS and DCC Ready is (i believe, on average) nearer the £60 than the £30. So the sound version here seems definitely like a dead giveaway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 26/01/2023 at 11:00, adb968008 said:

Do you how many 92220’s were made in the recent release from Hornby ?

I have two rtr locos in my collection which were only made in a quantity of 50.. Bachmann once made a great gathering set of just 24. I would not assume it sold out “thousands” in 2022 just because “thousands” were made in 1979… it could be “hundreds”, unless you know ?

I should add of the two 92220 releases from Bachmann, one suffers from a lining error on the tender (too high up) and some may have opted to pass it by. Your recently purchased 92214 also has the same error… its printed about 4mm too high, when it should be equally spread around the edges of the tank.

https://oliviastrains.com/product/Bachmann-32-851k-9f-92214-br-green-l-crest/

vs

https://www.gcrailway.co.uk/2016/07/leicester-city-comes-to-the-gcr/

My mistake. Wrong number. I had the one with the knackered boiler in mind. I remember them both when they were at Peak Rail.

I'd have to renumber it anyway, changing a tiny bit of lining is no big deal. Don't particularly want LC considering I've already got the B17 with that name, which may or may not be altered as well.

Fox even do it as a pack. I might even have something suitable in stock as you do tend to have bits of half used transfer sheets hanging about, and I'm pretty sure they do one just for the tender.

https://www.fox-transfers.co.uk/evening-star-livery-set

Swiftly getting back to Deltic. I don't understand why some think that Deltic is an unknown locomotive. It was always the only diesel you saw in the old NRM so must have been seen by millions over the years.

I reckon that Kitmaster must have sold a few hundred thousand Deltics back in the day. They were even giving them away half price in cereal packets. Those poor kids in 1962 forced to eat Shredded Wheat just to get a kit are now the target buyers for this model.

Ironically with a green 9F numbered 92221

http://cerealoffers.com/Cereal_Partners/Shredded_Wheat/1960s/Kitmaster_Locomotive_Models/kitmaster_locomotive_models.html

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 19/01/2023 at 11:11, The Stationmaster said:

The railwayana market is a very mixed bag.  A certain well known - through tv appearances - auctioneer who I know bought some railway items on one of those seemingly 'competitive' tv shows and as I watched I forecast almost precisely how much he was about to lose.  When i saw him a few weeks after the programme was broadcast he asked me why his items had bombed and I explained to him that not all railwayana sells for good money and what he bought didn't stand a chance especially as he'd overpaid when he bought the items.  And he is an excellent valuer in his own field of expertise - which doesn't include railwayana   

I used to regularly buy railway ephemera and the hammer price difference on apparently very similar items such as excursion handbills was massive. I was picking up 19th century handbills for peanuts while some from the 1930s and '50s were going for £50+ simply because of what they advertised - which had little to do with railways, beyond train tines and fares and were selling into a non-railway market.  

Stamps for example have no value based on age. Stamps 100 years old can still be worth very little. But an known rare stamp will always be a known rare stamp today, last year and next year simply because unless an unknown stash is ever found, simply no more will ever exist. So unless stamp collectors give up, the demand will always be there.

Whisky is another comparison, again age isnt the rage… Theres plenty of 1970’s whisky hanging about.. simply because in the early 1980’s as that whisky aged, the taste went out of fashion, distillers in the 1970’s over produced, but it wasnt until mature the lack of demand was found and were left sitting on barrels of it.

However by the 2000’s Distillers have gone the niche route, with more “rare” and “limited” bottlings, using faster aging techniques (double casking, blending mixed years, even using some of that 1970’s stuff (eg Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix) etc most of these new “names” come without age statements.

The difference here is distillers can turn the taps on / off any time they want, and use the marketing machine to design a box and a name.

of course here, the product is being consumed.

in both cases its global interest, and thats the difference… UK is a niche in the international modelling hobby, 00 modelling is a niche within the UK, and Dublo is a niche with 00

For collecting based on value i’ll take 1 of 750 bottles of a single cask. Over 1 of 500 Dublo Deltics… Yet whilst both can go either way, at least with the whisky I can commiserate a loss by drinking it.

On 19/01/2023 at 11:11, The Stationmaster said:

Getting back to the Deltic I wouldn't be surprised if they allsell when the total is only 500 but who are they selling to?  G F Diesels are a slightly market from se team so new buyers will come in but if you are collecting new HD brand models  or all Hornby diescast models you are still going to face the need this year for a lot of cash to keep your collection complete.

And next year - well if they've got things right Hornby will have to do the Co-Bo.

Continuing my above,  the Deltic I feel is a niche in Dublo.

i’m not sure it’ll subdivide much lower.

I can see exactly why you’d suggest a co-bo but Deltics have a following way above most other diesels. Whilst a CoBo has ties to Dublo ( and a 17 seems to touch hearts of  modellers too), It would be a 20, 37 or 40 that would reap demand.. but aside the 20 a 17,37 or 40 is not in Hornby Dublo roots, and the new Bachmann 20 itself hasnt set the world on fire. I can see the heart strings of a Co-Bo but suspect it wont sell anywhere close to Deltic…. So if there was follow up to DP1 maybe it is a class 55 ?

But I do question why modellers or collectors would want more than 1 DP1… anyone here in that position with Bachmanns DP1 care to share ?

Edited by adb968008

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Stamps for example have no value based on age. Stamps 100 years old can still be worth very little. But an known rare stamp will always be a known rare stamp today, last year and next year simply because unless an unknown stash is ever found, simply no more will ever exist. So unless stamp collectors give up, the demand will always be there.

Whisky is another comparison, again age isnt the rage… Theres plenty of 1970’s whisky hanging about.. simply because in the early 1980’s as that whisky aged, the taste went out of fashion, distillers in the 1970’s over produced, but it wasnt until mature the lack of demand was found and were left sitting on barrels of it.

However by the 2000’s Distillers have gone the niche route, with more “rare” and “limited” bottlings, using faster aging techniques (double casking, blending mixed years, even using some of that 1970’s stuff (eg Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix) etc most of these new “names” come without age statements.

The difference here is distillers can turn the taps on / off any time they want, and use the marketing machine to design a box and a name.

of course here, the product is being consumed.

in both cases its global interest, and thats the difference… UK is a niche in the international modelling hobby, 00 modelling is a niche within the UK, and Dublo is a niche with 00

For collecting based on value i’ll take 1 of 750 bottles of a single cask. Over 1 of 500 Dublo Deltics… Yet whilst both can go either way, at least with the whisky I can commiserate a loss by drinking it.

Continuing my above,  the Deltic I feel is a niche in Dublo.

i’m not sure it’ll subdivide much lower.

I can see exactly why you’d suggest a co-bo but Deltics have a following way above most other diesels. Whilst a CoBo has ties to Dublo ( and a 17 seems to touch hearts of  modellers too), It would be a 20, 37 or 40 that would reap demand.. but aside the 20 a 17,37 or 40 is not in Hornby Dublo roots, and the new Bachmann 20 itself hasnt set the world on fire. I can see the heart strings of a Co-Bo but suspect it wont sell anywhere close to Deltic…. So if there was follow up to DP1 maybe it is a class 55 ?

But I do question why modellers or collectors would want more than 1 DP1… anyone here in that position with Bachmanns DP1 care to share ?

I've got a Bachmann DP1, but its already niche for my modelling era and location so absolutely no intention of buying a Dublo one

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, GordonC said:

.... before even seeing what you're getting with the Dublo DP1?

I have a lot of models in pre-order, and I have bought some already, without seeing them. 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, GordonC said:

.... before even seeing what you're getting with the Dublo DP1?

At this stage, almost all my models are bought sight unseen.

At this stage almost all models have confidence in quality, detail, accuracy, finish and performance so i’m happy to jump in…. Almost all… 

Some manufacturers I hold my breath on.

4 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

At this stage, almost all my models are bought sight unseen.

At this stage almost all models have confidence in quality, detail, accuracy, finish and performance so i’m happy to jump in…. Almost all… 

Some manufacturers I hold my breath on.

I quite happily pre-order from most manufacturers with confidence on what will turn up ... with the exception of Hornby which I want to see before committing money for. If I miss out I miss out and can quite happily do without them

• RMweb Gold
On 20/01/2023 at 10:28, Phil Parker said:

You will find very few exhibitors, who move stock around and pack and unpack it a lot*, who would agree with you. My stuff lives in nice wooden storage boxes which can hold the maximum amount of locos in the smallest space. Judging by the number of people who compalin about getting things out of the boxes in the first place, I'd suggest they would be better with a solution not aimed at getting the model safely from the other side of the world too.

*I once exhibited opposite a Z gauge layout where they stock went back in its individual boxes. He was still doing this 2 hours after the show closed. In the hall on his own.

Phil

One step further (for a home layout). All locos are stored on the old style Peko loco lifts, and housed in stackable converted shoe storage boxes. This enables no 'hand' contact with the loco, especially good after weathering.

The supplier loco boxes are stored in the loft, (for use by relatives when I pop the old clogs). Instructions in an A4 folder with sleeves. All other rolling stock is stored on either cassettes or in storage boxes.

Just happen to have a Bachmann DP1 in the photo below - so some connection with the original thread!

DSC05068.JPG.8e41f67062ff77a30ce0c36de510b393.JPG

DSC05050.JPG.88be019656062cf1f491340408d9b7e8.JPG

There is a thread showing how this was done, but sadly most of the photos are no longer showing. And the SL-43's no longer available which is a pity.

Dave

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Email this morning from Hattons

that Hornby R30297 has been cancelled assuming that this is only any not pre ordered or they won’t be getting any more stock 

For myself it was only a “maybe “ purchase so not a problem 

Hello

This is an email to let you know that the following item has been cancelled from production, and, as you requested an email notification of its arrival, thought you would like to know that it is not now expected to be released.

Hornby R30297, which you can see at https://www.hattons.co.uk/stockdetail?sid=1136666

We are unsure of the specific reason for the cancellation, and will try to keep its descriptive text updated to provide any information which the manufacturer releases. You will remain signed-up for notification – so if it is reinstated and delivered then you will receive a notification.

We apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.

Regards

Hatton's Model Railways
17 Montague Road
Widnes
WA8 8FZ
0151 733 3655
https://www.hattons.co.uk
Telephone lines manned Monday - Sunday 9:30am - 5:30pm
Store open Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun 10am - 4pm

15 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

That item is showing as unavailable on Hornby.com as well, perhaps a change of mind by Hornby otherwise it would say sold out on pre-order or something like that.

No, on the Hornby website 'Unavailable' means that the Hornby website has pre-sold its allocation.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Given the Deltic was apparently sold out at Hornby before Hattons were invited back into the fold (or whatever has changed) it's a bit mystifying why Hattons would be offering Deltics anyway. 

• Agree 2