Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

Funny.....no one has mentioned the movement of 'Pure'.....pardon the pun.

Moved In barrels, often from hunting kennels, but there were also collectors who were paid so much per lump.

Can't imagine the smell, especially on a hot summers night......

Apparently used in the making of leather gloves.

Funny how you don't see the white stuff any more. (I was going to say the white stuff I was familiar with in my youth. I thought better of it!).

Edited by BlackRat

A bit of a cheek using the word Tissue. I bet many a cheek felt like it was being sliced by a rusty razor upon encountering the crease of some crumpled Izal.

attachicon.gifIzal.jpg

I seem to recall it being a good supply of free tracing paper (for non-toiletry purposes of course!)

I seem to recall it being a good supply of free tracing paper (for non-toiletry purposes of course!)

Being a poor little chap growing up two of our teachers used to send children to the boys toilet to get enough for the entire class to use on a tracing project.  Apparently the girls used to get proper paper and several of us got into a lot of trouble for going to do our daily logs in the girls wazz house after this revelation, although in all fairness it might have had more to do with permanent marker on the walls regarding sit down protests and "here today back tomorrow" kind of thing.

And of course the girls toilet was on the first floor which made peeing out the window WAY more fun when the wind was in the right direction and you could hit the pedestrians.....

Being a poor little chap growing up two of our teachers used to send children to the boys toilet to get enough for the entire class to use on a tracing project.  Apparently the girls used to get proper paper and several of us got into a lot of trouble for going to do our daily logs in the girls wazz house after this revelation, although in all fairness it might have had more to do with permanent marker on the walls regarding sit down protests and "here today back tomorrow" kind of thing.

And of course the girls toilet was on the first floor which made peeing out the window WAY more fun when the wind was in the right direction and you could hit the pedestrians.....

What school was this? Borstal?

• RMweb Premium

What school was this? Borstal?

It must have been Approved.

Funny.....no one has mentioned the movement of 'Pure'.....pardon the pun.

Moved In barrels, often from hunting kennels, but there were also collectors who were paid so much per lump.

Can't imagine the smell, especially on a hot summers night......

Apparently used in the making of leather gloves.

Urine used to be collected from Dwellings/towns. I think at one time people of the North East were compelled by law leave your pittle outside in jars.

(It was collected by a sort of reverse milkman) All the urine was decanted into successively larger vessels then shipped to the North Yorks coast for use in the production of Alum. We're talking before railways to a greater extent. There was large works near Ravenscar and much further inland at Carlton.

http://www.bilsdale.org.uk/index.php?id=25

Alum was uses in the textile industry and for leather tanning. Alslo if you're a wet shaver it's used as the main constituant of Syptic pencils.

It's where the saying, "Taking the Pi$$" originated.

P

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Porcy Mane

With all the electronic devices to create sound and smoke, adding one that created authentic smells might upset some at exhibitions. Now no comments about some of the visitors which always seem to find clear space in a crowded room, please.

On a slightly different note, maybe smellivision might teach those who move from towns to the countryside and then complain about the smell. Having said there are too many who don't use their eyes or ears, as they should be aware of what the real countryside looks like and sounds like, eg complaints about birdsong and rural church bells!

Just imagine Pendon with smells added! More authentic, but possibly less popular with some sensitive souls!

• Like 1

Today's useless facts.

Apart from "taking the p*ss" the poor used to sell their urine to tanneries. The really poor couldn't as they didn't have a pot to p*ss in.

White dog do vanished as a result of mad cow. Up until then most dog food contained a large amount of ground bone. The white poo was a result of the remaining calcium and bone meal after the other matter had washed away.

• RMweb Gold

Today's useless facts.

Apart from "taking the p*ss" the poor used to sell their urine to tanneries. The really poor couldn't as they didn't have a pot to p*ss in.

White dog do vanished as a result of mad cow. Up until then most dog food contained a large amount of ground bone. The white poo was a result of the remaining calcium and bone meal after the other matter had washed away.

Plenty of the white stuff over here if anyone needs some - buyer collects.

Plenty of the white stuff over here if anyone needs some - buyer collects.

I'll pass on that. We have 3 cat poo factories that can each create 4 times their own body weight per day in waste.

• Like 1

I'll pass on that. We have 3 cat poo factories that can each create 4 times their own body weight per day in waste.

I hope that's not the bu**ers that leave a present for me on my lawn every morning!

I hope that's not the bu**ers that leave a present for me on my lawn every morning!

Not guilty. Ours are indoor/garden only types. Their manufactured products are shipped directly to McDonald's commissary.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Top tip: If you have a problem with cat poo, placing some cut rose stems over the cat toilet will stop the cat going there.

Edited by JCL

Urine used to be collected from Dwellings/towns. I think at one time people of the North East were compelled by law leave your pittle outside in jars.

(It was collected by a sort of reverse milkman) All the urine was decanted into successively larger vessels then shipped to the North Yorks coast for use in the production of Alum. We're talking before railways to a greater extent. There was large works near Ravenscar and much further inland at Carlton.

http://www.bilsdale.org.uk/index.php?id=25

Alum was uses in the textile industry and for leather tanning. Alslo if you're a wet shaver it's used as the main constituant of Syptic pencils.

It's were the saying, "Taking the Pi$$" originated.

P

It was also collected, up until WW2 at least, in my home town of Llanelli. Rather than house-to-house collections, 'Dai the Lant' used to collect it from pubs; it was used to 'pickle' steel sheet before tinning or galvanising. The same people owned the tin works and the breweries, so they made money selling the beer, and saved yet more by not buying in industrially-produced acid. Over the years, saltpetre would crystallise on the walls of the pickling baths; long after the works had shut, local lads would scrape it off to make home-made gunpowder.

• Like 2

Top tip: If you have a problem with cat poo, placing some cut rose stems over the cat toilet will stop the cat going there.

Which is fine if the cat loo isn't your vegetable garden, where it makes planting, weeding and harvesting rather painful!

Tried that. Didn't stop the chat shats, but every year I have more roses to prune back. Might be something to do with my house been built over a 1920's midden.

It was also collected, up until WW2 at least, in my home town of Llanelli. Rather than house-to-house collections, 'Dai the Lant' used to collect it from pubs; it was used to 'pickle' steel sheet before tinning or galvanising. The same people owned the tin works and the breweries, so they made money selling the beer, and saved yet more by not buying in industrially-produced acid. Over the years, saltpetre would crystallise on the walls of the pickling baths; long after the works had shut, local lads would scrape it off to make home-made gunpowder.

During times of war before stable production of Ammonia another reason why "the authorities" were only to happy to take your Pi$$ away.

Apparently gunpowder produced this way was quite unreliable & unstable. 

And there's a coincidence. Only this morning, whilst researching the artwork for some traders labels, I come across the the owners of the Felinfoel & Buckleys Breweries and their tinplate interests. Nowt like a bit of profiteering out of war. Not a bad case of what goes around comes around. "Lets get our workers pickled to help with pickling".

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I was contemplating ways of going about modelling the "wrong" way.

I decided that what we need is build to P4 standards but powered on the Trix Twin principle.

And to get a second lynch mob from the other direction, use original Trix stock rebuilt to P4 standards.

We have come a long way since the OP