Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

I dread to think what that particular compartment of a past its best Mk1 might've looked like after a Footex in the '80s...(shudder).

I guess you never partook?

post-508-0-70520800-1470140167.jpg

post-508-0-65744500-1470140163.jpg

post-508-0-35329700-1470140169_thumb.jpg

At least the Rimet will not need cleaning.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Remember reading in a 70s RO about a Cup Final Footex - the train had to be taken out of service straight afterwards as nearly every coach had been wrecked.

Then mentioned that the other team's supporters must've been better behaved as their train was ok!

Back on topic.

Curl one down in and O gauge wagon and put it back on the O gauge layout after wiping your bottom on their layout drape!!!!!!!!

Other smaller scales apply. If you can fit one into their wagons.

Edited by andytrains

• RMweb Premium

There were certainly prototypes for such movements, apart from a complete canal that took Plymouth's waste north alongside the Tamar, certainly Dewsbury Corporation had some wagons for movement of 'night soil', there are even photos of the livery. Perhaps it could be modelled accurately.

Jamie

Back on topic.

Curl one down in and O gauge wagon and put it back on the O gauge layout after wiping your bottom on their layout drape!!!!!!!!

Other smaller scales apply. If you can fit one into their wagons.

Think I would need to find a Gauge 1 layout!

chatmoss and Carrington, manchester had a 2'3" gauge systems for nightsoil.

Trumped ya.

Newfield in Co. Durham had a standard gauge railway that was used for emptying the lavs. The village still has wooden houses. A number of mining communities in the County had standard gauge railways that run along the back streets that was used for collecting of night soil. (And delivering the coal)

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/420163/533436/12/101064

Ashington (especially Hirst) had probably the most comprehensive narrow gauge system in the  world for collecting night soil. Most back streets had two lines of railway tracks.

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/427941/587551/12/100709

It was only with the introduction of flushing lavatories and decent sewer systems that made these railway sysems obsolete.

I suppose we should look on Thomas Crapper as being a bit of a Richard Beeching?

post-508-0-03885000-1470230862.jpg

Worra load o Crap.

Can you Imagine what the smell would be like at a model railway show if we didn't have flushing lavs.

What goes around comes around. Especially in Spanish porcelain.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

Apparently, getting back on topic is impossible here, it seems to have gone in the sh!tter.... :jester:

Oh I don't know. There are lots of useful ideas for an original exhibition layout. Now that we have sound fitted locos, maybe the next development will be realistic smells :senile:.

According to some, a smell chip will not be necessary. Just ask the right wrong type of people to stand by your layout all day.

p

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Premium

There was even an animal waste disposal system built in central London in IIRC the 70's. The Household cavalry barracks were fitted with a narrow gauge system for transporting the rose manure under the stables. I can't remember much else about it but seem to remember photos of some hand pushed hopper wagons.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

There was even an animal waste disposal system built in central London in IIRC the 70's. The Household cavalry barracks were fitted with a narrow gauge system for transporting the rose manure under the stables. I can't remember much else about it but seem to remember photos of some hand pushed hopper wagons.

Jamie

Given the payload, it was obviously an atmospheric railway...

• RMweb Premium

Apparently, getting back on topic is impossible here, it seems to have gone in the sh!tter.... :jester:

Can't you tell it's not really exhibition season?

Just wait until the NEC Warley show, then the lynching really starts.........

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

How to get lynched on RMweb

(at times like this I wish it was possible):

Take a thread off topic,

so it ends up on the subject of toilets,

then insist on keeping it off topic.

• Like 2

Izal packaging was colourful too.

Maybe they could have been prosecuted under trade descriptions though.

A bit of a cheek using the word Tissue. I bet many a cheek felt like it was being sliced by a rusty razor upon encountering the crease of some crumpled Izal.

post-508-0-75524700-1470317587.jpg

p

Edited by Porcy Mane

I was touring a National Trust property last year, and there were various rooms set up with authentic-looking furniture, etc, including in one room a discreetly placed bathroom. Next to the toilet was a pack of two Izal Medicated toilet rolls. An old couple were touring with a younger couple and the younger woman was heard to remark that she'd never heard of Izal Medicated. The old gent immediately went off with "Yeah, it needed to be medicated, it scratched your a$$ to bu99ery!"