Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

I can't help (despite my best efforts) thinking a lot of posters have spent a lot of airmiles and/or money seeking disgusting toilets.

For a fraction of the costs and time taken, a visit to any pleb class carriage/coach lavatory frequented by cranks on tour is akin to a Dante-esque Trip Advisor review.

I dread to think what that particular compartment of a past its best Mk1 might've looked like after a Footex in the '80s...(shudder).

C6T.

I thought it was still legal to perform over the rear offside wheel of a chara'?

As Spike Milligan remarked in his North African Memoir - all the desert to p*ss in and they chose the wheels of their lorries...

The first time I encountered these types of Pans was when tendering for the constuction of a tourist facility in Phillip island here in Australia. We had massive trouble as the plumbing authorities did not approve the fitting!

We latter found out the reason to install the squat pans was for the Japanese tourists who went to see the Penguins tended to balance on the western pans and made a massive mess!

All of the above is still some what disturbing!

How long ago was this? Somewhere I have a photo of a printed label on a western-style toilet in Japan with instructions (in Japanese) on how to use it (IIRC with an explicit mention of not to stand on the seat) but the toilet was probably new 30~40 years ago. Like I mentioned, the problem nowadays is more children unfamiliar with the older style... Also I can assure you, it's possible (probably even easier) to make a massive mess with the Japanese style, compared to correctly used Western style - just check out the Japanese-style cubicles in train stations late on Friday night... (Not that it's something I do regularly or willingly, I hasten to add).

• RMweb Premium

The Saudi Gazette  ( Saudi News paper in English you can get it in the UK) has a advice section ( on religious matters).

I remember them printing the following:

If using a Western Toilet you do not have to kneel in front of it, to use as a urinal (they are advised to kneel when watering the desert).

Also that the correct way to make a deposit is to use it is as we do.

• RMweb Premium

I find that planes are very difficult and uncomfortable to stand on, whatever the purpose. They are, however, excellent for weighting down track while the glue dries :jester:

attachicon.gifDSCF8009.JPG

You would be very uncomfortable with my old woodwork teacher as he clipped you round the ear, for placing the planes down on their face....

You would be very uncomfortable with my old woodwork teacher as he clipped you round the ear, for placing the planes down on their face....

I know. I was taught not to do it, and would normally lay them on their side, but both of them need a good sharpen anyway!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I know. I was taught not to do it, and would normally lay them on their side, but both of them need a good sharpen anyway!

My grandfather was a cabinet-maker and his first task as an apprentice was to make many of his own tools. This included a pair of planes made entirely of wood (except for the blades of course). They were adjusted or set using wedges.

• Like 3

Assume this is the type, I think known as a Moroccan toilet.

toilet1.jpg

This was in basement garage in my house in France. Unfortunately we got rid of it as it was ideal spot to plumb in rest of system!

One of my daughters keeps bringing up story of how we stayed in house at first, and she had to visit the creepy toilet. To be fair I used to make sure I visited before it got dark.

Another of my daughters complained about these basic toilets on drive down to south of France.

I've always heard them called 'Turkish Toilets' in France. We were lodged in one farm in Herault where one of these doubled as a shower! One morning, whilst 'parking my breakfast', I realised there was a scorpion heading towards me- I moved very quickly.

Well we may still be off topic,

but at least we've got away from toilets!

No we haven't!

I've always heard them called 'Turkish Toilets' in France. We were lodged in one farm in Herault where one of these doubled as a shower! One morning, whilst 'parking my breakfast', I realised there was a scorpion heading towards me- I moved very quickly.

Well we may still be off topic,

but at least we've got away from toilets!

Oh no we haven't...

post-16151-0-81855100-1469615779_thumb.jpg

This is the first class version in the lounge at Nanjing airport, 2009.

post-16151-0-46914100-1469615979_thumb.jpg

This was also rather fun! The little red ball was suspended from the cross bar - he shoots; he scores!

(Kleine Scheidegg, Switzerland)

• Like 1

Not even going to attempt to move off topic here......when we were in Kuwait the lads solved the problem of the local toilets by taking the canvas folding-flat directors' chairs we were issued with and cutting out the seat.  Then, tie-wrapping a toilet seat to the chair the problem was resolved.......simply take your seat to the toilet and all's good.  Normal service resumed!

Not so much scorpion attack there as massive "hissing sids".....cockroaches.  Disgusting beasts!

:)

happy days....dont miss them one bit....

As Spike Milligan remarked in his North African Memoir - all the desert to p*ss in and they chose the wheels of their lorries...

Less chance of stepping on a landmine may have had something to do with it !!

I've use a toilette traditionelle in France a few times (mostly in the south) and though I don't like them I have heard that they're healthier than the normal western variety because they're better suited to our internal plumbing. I've not seen many recently except when exploring disused stations.  I'm surprised they're not more popular in Oz where they would at least avoid the danger of a deadly dunny spider hiding under the seat or the rim of the bowl- a prospect guaranteed to induce instant constipation. You do still find them in some British ports where seafarers, who could of course come from many lands, were offered the choice.

Edited by Pacific231G

Handy if you're feeling a little creative and fancy having a go at producing a Mr Whippy style mound. I guess you'd have to avoid making your deposit too tall though in case you cause a blockage.

Maybe the German style is designed to exercise your knees by raising the posterior whilst dropping a full load?

p

• RMweb Premium

Assume this is the type, I think known as a Moroccan toilet.

toilet1.jpg

This was in basement garage in my house in France. Unfortunately we got rid of it as it was ideal spot to plumb in rest of system!

That's the one. The 'hole in the floor' type... Also seen in Indonesia...

Worst case is when this type is on a train.....

A work trip to China in 1990 included an overnight sleeper service. Strange feelings squatting over a hole in the floor watching the world (and one's doings) go by about 60 mph....................

Cheers,

Mick

Worst case is when this type is on a train.....

A work trip to China in 1990 included an overnight sleeper service. Strange feelings squatting over a hole in the floor watching the world (and one's doings) go by about 60 mph....................

So the "sleeper service" was the view of the track through the hole? ;)