Bachmann's Latest Collectors Club Model

Guest spet0114

• RMweb Gold

So you did give in in the end! A very pretty little threesome. It’s only a pity that the train is so short. I was convinced to go for the Sealink pair by the prospect of a main range coach to supplement them. I wonder, though, who is expected to buy the one-off other than Club members. It suits me perfectly but it seems an odd thing to offer in the main range.

Well it was inevitable after seeing them at DEMU last week.Only a matter of time. .short as it turned out. I already have Hornby's 'Duchess Of Sutherland +support coach pack,so add the two WCRC Bachmann Pullmans and some maroon Mark Ones and even a Mark One Pullman in original livery and you have a credible WCRC charter rake in no time. You can even 'top and tail' with steam at the front and diesel at the rear,though a 47/57 would be more authentic..... either Vitrains or Bachmann......having said that,this 37 is a cracking example.I hasten to add that in real life,the diesel is there to provde auxiliary power as was the case last time we went over Shap and Aisgill with 46233 in front and 47 'Roy Castle' on the rear.Really this set for me is a case of reliving a couple of recent experiences in miniature....'fine dining' with a bottle of good claret at the table as we pass majestically over Blea Moor.A no-brainer and I am very pleased.Pure nostalgic self-indulgence,I'm afraid.

• Like 1

So you did give in in the end! A very pretty little threesome. It’s only a pity that the train is so short. I was convinced to go for the Sealink pair by the prospect of a main range coach to supplement them. I wonder, though, who is expected to buy the one-off other than Club members. It suits me perfectly but it seems an odd thing to offer in the main range.

Perhaps they think it will get people to join the club. 

Nothing to match it! Especially when enhanced by a claret or a decent ale.

And shamelessly OT, my choice of enhancement also includes a BW DVD from the 1940s/50s. The ones that start with the image of Big Ben. Last night I watched, again, "Jigsaw" which opens with a panoramic view of the approach to Brighton. I don't stretch to red bordeaux (claret), but I can squeeze six glasses from an Oxford Landing Merlot.

PB

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And shamelessly OT, my choice of enhancement also includes a BW DVD from the 1940s/50s. The ones that start with the image of Big Ben. Last night I watched, again, "Jigsaw" which opens with a panoramic view of the approach to Brighton. I don't stretch to red bordeaux (claret), but I can squeeze six glasses from an Oxford Landing Merlot.

PB

A good Argentine Malbec will give many a Bordeaux a run for its money these days...at half the cost. ( off topic )

• Like 2

Hi All,

After joining to order these models they arrived just a few days later, superbly packed and I am totally delighted by them. I never expected to see the WCRC Pullmans appear in RTR form and they are very nicely finished. I didn't really need another 37 but it would be rude not to and adds further variety alongside 37676 and 516 that Andi Walshaw painted.

I too would like to see a 47 produced at some point as they turn up all over.

Thanks

Mark

Edited by MRDBLUE17

• 4 weeks later...

If they can't get the buffers correct on 37706, I doubt they'll get 950001 right!

(37706 has "squared oval" at the No2 end)

The two Pullmans are 99347 and 99352 - this is 99352's current livery.... and has been since at least 2012

99348/350 would be better choices

Cheers,

Mick

I would like to see them in that livery next maybe, a mixed livery rake would be more interesting than just maroon!

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

After joining to order these models they arrived just a few days later, superbly packed and I am totally delighted by them. I never expected to see the WCRC Pullmans appear in RTR form and they are very nicely finished. I didn't really need another 37 but it would be rude not to and adds further variety alongside 37676 and 516 that Andi Walshaw painted.

I too would like to see a 47 produced at some point as they turn up all over.

Thanks

Mark

There are still Vitrains 47's WCRC available.IMHO a vey good model.

• RMweb Gold

There are still Vitrains 47's WCRC available.IMHO a vey good model.

i had the 37 and 47 a few years back but sold them on, wish i hadnt now as the 47 is a hard one to source now

(he says as someone will no doubt put a link to somewhere with one for sale!)

Edited by big jim

Does anyone have any videos of the Class 37 and coaches?

My 37 is with kev from coastal dcc for sound fitting. Once she returns I'll be doing a video of the loco and the coaches. Told kev not to rush so could be a while before she returns.

• RMweb Premium

My 37 is with kev from coastal dcc for sound fitting. Once she returns I'll be doing a video of the loco and the coaches. Told kev not to rush so could be a while before she returns.

I look forward to seeing it.

• RMweb Gold

I'm surprised that no punters have stuck them on eBay yet at like one million pounds! Unusual, maybe all the models went to actual collectors this time.

Maybe before, the reasons why collectors club models were selling at high prices on ebay, was they were underpriced in the collectors club.

• RMweb Premium

I'm surprised that no punters have stuck them on eBay yet at like one million pounds! Unusual, maybe all the models went to actual collectors this time.

Still available at the collectors club website.

Maybe before, the reasons why collectors club models were selling at high prices on ebay, was they were underpriced in the collectors club.

Maybe WCRC livery isn't as popular as made out to be, [*] or they're now overpriced in the collectors club?

Cheers,

Mick

[*] The WCRC loco livery is a bit bland to say the least - possibly even more so than BR blue..................

There are a few reasons why I have not bought one, which I am sure might apply to a number of people who could of been tempted.

Firstly, I do not see the coaches Bachmann are offering on most WCR trains. If they were offering Mk1 and Mk2a coaches in WCR livery, I would of bought the loco. But without any assurances these coaches shall be made, I do not see what else the 37 could do. It is not like it is 37668/669 to go off and run on ERTMS/ETCS as a novelty (I am not willing to take the gamble of ordering it, hoping the coaches shall be produced into the future - at least with the DRS 37s you can be sure the Mk2fs shall be forthcoming)

Secondly, they nearly always run in top and tail with another 37 or a 47. (Yes I know Model Rail released a 37 some years back, but often sells for over £250 when on eBay!) (I was seriously tempted and would of bought the Locomotion Flying Scotsman to make up a 'heritage charter' rake - but alas - no WCR Mk1 or Mk2a)

Thirdly, it really is a standard/plane livery which doesn't really spark my imagination (especially when looking at other limited editions on the market currently). Yes if WCR was a standard release I would buy, but I feel limited editions - commanding rrp prices - need to be 'special'. Ironic is it not, if the loco was a standard release I would buy it, but as it is limited I am not finding it appealing.

Last, it is the principle of having to pay to join the club to which I have no interest in being a member.

If this was a Model Rail or Kernow etc limited edition I would of considered - but then the latter said on RMWeb that they thought there is just not a market for more WCR liveries (and it is very plane)

In sum, I would of bought if there were Mk1/Mk2a coaches to go with it, an additional 37/47 and I did not have to pay to become a member of something I am uninterested in. (No gripe, but interesting is it not that Bachmann focus on a closed club where as Hornby and Dapol have their Engine Shed and Digest....)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well...you  may please some of the people all of the time....but you can't please all of the people all,etc.,etc....

The comparison with the Hornby and Dapol appendages is inappropriate in any case as they are totally different marketing strategies.The Hornby Collectors Club is a joke ,as I know from my own experience .The Bachmann Collectors Club gives IMHO value for money and does keep members "in the loop"

You pays your money and you makes your choice.You seem to have made yours in spades.Still a free country...just walk away and keep your wallet close.

The whole point of Collectors Club Exclusive Models would seem to be exclusive models for members of the Collectors Club.

Even though I do not need the majority of Club models produced so far, I regard the cost of membership good value for a catalogue, a wagon, 4 magazines per year, etc. However, as Ian says, it is a free country.