Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

Now, praise the saints , the beasts are arriving we need for completeness the famous (infamous) 24th (22 production plus prototype)  machine in CIE black and orange. It could even be named -Finton O'Napier- the Irish engineer , a Quiet Man whose career was on the Wayne, who allegedly came up with the idea for the delta engine (and a horse tram too) but was forced to sell it for tuppence to the English (Electric). Could be a winner, go on...go on...etc

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

My Nimbus arrived this morning- two end steps detached and restored, plus one of the little blue thingies off the bodyside was mangled and is now off awaiting straightening and return. Otherwise no problems.

It seems a little quiet.

To avoid ploughing through umpteenty pages has anyone the CV for the master volume?

Les

Apparently it is CV63 with a range of 0 to 192.

(I've never played with it myself though - Pardon, half past two!)

Kev.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

Scuff marks are a shame. I must say that if either of mine are so affected they will be exchanged; all but impossible to correct. I'm sure that does not meet AS high standards, and not seen other reports on here of poor body finish/damage.

What is the issue with the couplings? Has anyone else had this problem? Again I presume AS have checked the NEM height on a gauge, so not quite sure what happened to Sam's models. Ditto slow speed problems - the whole point of helical gears is that there is no cogging.

In all honesty while he is entitled to review a model 'as is' he should have really sent back for an exchange and reviewed a 'perfect' (or at least more representative) model IMHO.

Just watched the review, I like his honest and thorough approach. Overall it has the second highest score for a loco, not bad for the first relaease from Accurascale.  I'm sure Accurascale are now well aware of the issues raised here and in reviews and will ensure future releases are free of them. Cannot wait to receive my Porterhouse......

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Les1952 said:

I think in the past he has sent locos back for body issues and got one in return with identical issues.  

Les

Havent we all. Keep sending back until u get a good one.... (what i do. I think four is a record for me, although possibly from sifferent retailers as the first one got fed up!)

Anyway getting OT. I dont think Sams review is representative of the model in general, but will wait until i get mine to know for sure.

Edited by G-BOAF

2 hours ago, NoelG said:

Apologies, I'm not sure I understand the reference? Who is Paul Chetter, I've heard of Zimo, I have one of their decoders on an Irish model.

Paul Chetter is a rather decent chap who i have dealt with in the past. His knowledge of sound files and uploads is second to none. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Les1952 said:

My Nimbus arrived this morning- two end steps detached and restored, plus one of the little blue thingies off the bodyside was mangled and is now off awaiting straightening and return. Otherwise no problems.

It seems a little quiet.

To avoid ploughing through umpteenty pages has anyone the CV for the master volume?

Les

Cv63 0-192 max volume. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Scuff marks are a shame. I must say that if either of mine are so affected they will be exchanged; all but impossible to correct. I'm sure that does not meet AS high standards, and not seen other reports on here of poor body finish/damage.

Someone in this thread mentioned they were returning a blue one due to small white paint splodges on the body.

Edited by maico
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, bazil31 said:

My Nimbus came today runs a treat.

I have a lose step which I will reattach but alas a further 2 steps missing.

Its not two steps forward and one back by any chance is it,i find thats is very much how my days go..........

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Got home to unpack and test my D9020. Its mentioned up thread that the outer packing has been enhanced  - not so with my example and ominously the Accurascale box could be heard moving around inside. Opening the outer packaging the only 'packing' was a scrumpled up piece of brown paper offering very limited restriction to upwards movement. Not really good enough to be honest.

Not sure if the boxes are marked differently for sound and non sound versions but having seen a report elsewhere that a modeller expecting a sound fitted got a non sound version I was again a little apprehensive. 

Getting the model out of the packaging I initially thought I had got a perfect model apart from one very small part found near the buffer beam. Unfortunately as I carefully lifted the model this was joined by two of the front footsteps, one from each end.

Placing it on the track and hitting F1 provided reassurance that it is indeed sound fitted. I would have at this stage started acceptance trials but unfortunately one of the chains was detached from the body so a temporary repair with black tack was made to secure it. Trials then commenced.

Running without sound is indeed silent. I have has no issues so far on my less than perfect track on less than level baseboards. The loco doesnt move at speed step 1 and there is some stutter (as Sam found) at low speeds. Not severe and maybe it can be ironed out with further running and perhaps CV tweaking. Smooth as silk after step 5.

As I have only just commenced running in I haven't been over speed step 50 so far. No issues from me regarding the sound. The project is fine and the volume is more than enough for my attic. I do concur that there could be more base. My Bachmann Deltic (God rest its soul for it is now withdrawn as it no longer looks like a Deltic!) with the Legoman project is better in this regard - thats fitted with a Zimo dumbo in the roof and small base speaker in the fuel tank.

I've got a short snagging list to address which includes bent lamp irons, one indicator box pushed in (a body off job I think so that will wait for the crew to arrive) and one of the blue (water?) pipe attachments twisted outwards plus reattach the steps.

I do think that some of the exquisite detail is too ambitious for a working model, at least in plastic. I am dreading the body off stage, not least because I'll need to detach the other 3 body-bogie chains. Not sure if we have a guide to doing this yet but regardless I think the delicateness and smallness of these parts may defeat some of us with our reading glasses and need for perfect light!

All the above notwithstanding it is a superb likeness to the prototype, has exemplary performance and is beautifully finished.  I'll be keeping this one and I'm looking forward to getting D9008 from Rails next week. 

Edited by MikeParkin65
Tried to attach photos - failed :)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, philg said:

Any idea who Rails use for deliveries?

Unfortunately it is Parcel Force, who like taking things to our "local" post office 12 miles away in the opposite direction to pretty much everywhere we normally go instead of trying again the next day like almost every other courier.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You're quite safe, I'll be the last.

Due to absolutely no fault whatsoever of Accurascale, the total incompetence of  Spanish customs and ADT Postales will ensure I have that honour.

I'm still awaiting Kerosene Castle from last November via Rails, it's done more air miles backwards and forwards  than me lately!

Mike.

Assuming the delays are because the items are coming in from outside the EU, have you considered ordering from the Dublin warehouse?

https://accurascale.eu/

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Assuming the delays are because the items are coming in from outside the EU, have you considered ordering from the Dublin warehouse?

https://accurascale.eu/

we’ve take the step to ship all EU orders from Dublin regardless at no cost. The stock transfer means such orders will be dispatching from Monday. HTH

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

I know it’s probably not intentional but the tone of some of these user “reviews” (naming no names) seems a little sharp and/or condescending. It’s not even my product and yet even I feel like I’m being told off by a school teacher!

There are real and helpful people, not a faceless entity like Hornby. Perhaps ease off the judgement and stick to the facts?

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, aureol40012 said:

I know it’s probably not intentional but the tone of some of these user “reviews” (naming no names) seems a little sharp and/or condescending. It’s not even my product and yet even I feel like I’m being told off by a school teacher!

There are real and helpful people, not a faceless entity like Hornby. Perhaps ease off the judgement and stick to the facts?

IMO - some of these reviews are controversial and done just to create clicks to the webpage/channel and hence revenue.................

• Like 2
  • Agree 11

46 minutes ago, McC said:

we’ve take the step to ship all EU orders from Dublin regardless at no cost. The stock transfer means such orders will be dispatching from Monday. HTH

Does this include orders that are to be dispatched to the USA?  I have noticed that my Accurascale account seems to have been switched to accurascale.eu, and I have not received an explanation as to why this occurred.  Thank you.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, TheEngineShed said:

Does this include orders that are to be dispatched to the USA?  I have noticed that my Accurascale account seems to have been switched to accurascale.eu, and I have not received an explanation as to why this occurred.  Thank you.

no changes have been made. You should be able to access your account at https://accurascale.com 

28 minutes ago, newbryford said:

IMO - some of these reviews are controversial and done just to create clicks to the webpage/channel and hence revenue.................

Im talking about comments posted on this thread, unfortunately, eg telling Accurascale they’ve been too ambitious. Probably the most unpleasant and passive aggressive “compliment” someone could come out with.

Edited by aureol40012

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, TheEngineShed said:

Fair enough, it just allowed me to log on without following the link that keeps popping up everytime I use the original accurascale bookmark.

Screenshot 2022-06-22 185736.jpg

drop us a line if you’re having any issues. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, McC said:

no changes have been made. You should be able to access your account at https://accurascale.com 

Talking of accounts, the phone version website doesn't give an option for account access, I know they are by necessity stripped down, but is that normal or just my crappy WooWooHee phone?

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

Im talking about comments posted on this thread, unfortunately, eg telling Accurascale they’ve been too ambitious. Probably the most unpleasant and passive aggressive “compliment” someone could come out with.

That's not what I've taken away from this thread.

Accurascale have set very high expectations and where in some cases they haven't quite come up to them I thought people here were generally being supportive not unkind.

• Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Talking of accounts, the phone version website doesn't give an option for account access, I know they are by necessity stripped down, but is that normal or just my crappy WooWooHee phone?

Mike.

its a little hard to see but there is a little ‘person’ icon at the very top left of the menu on mobile. Tap that and you’re in your account. 

• Informative/Useful 1