KR Models announce the Fell in OO and N.

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

CB165EE9-F0C1-4172-9754-36457F02A24F.jpeg.5a2e95f38edb7152958b4eab0588fc53.jpeg

Using @adb968008’s image I’ve highlighted bits that don’t make sense, (It also shows the incorrect water fillers location). They say the CADs are almost complete, and no tooling started. As CADs are the cheapest bit of the manufacturing it doesn’t make any sense to talk of changes they can’t change due to expense as they hadn’t cut any metal by then. If what they actually meant was we’re doing one body tool which is a pastiche/consolidation of the data we’re using it would have made sense to say so then.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

This reminds of an episode of Blackadder where the captain of the ship (Tom Baker) said there were 2 schools of thought on having a crew - All the other captain's say you need a crew but he was of the opinion that you did not. The same seems to be the case here for research :)

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, col.stephens said:

You are assuming that KR Models had the budget to pay for the CAD changes.  Maybe they didn't.

Please don’t make assumptions about what I’m assuming.

If you’re correct regarding their costings, that puts the emphasis on research and doing as much as practical initially. 
E4A78AE9-0095-462C-A894-16CBE116D86D.jpeg.908af822b52bafa6fc2c579d553cd4fc.jpeg

For example they had a big prompt, and they responded to a comment regarding the water filler position on their Facebook page early March last year.  An indicative response perhaps to how they approach ‘research’.

Railway modelling is discretionary spending and the Fell is so niche it falls into an even smaller bracket of railway oddities, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

It's not like you've just had a big energy price increase and you have to decide between food, heating and other essentials.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Railway modelling is discretionary spending and the Fell is so niche it falls into an even smaller bracket of railway oddities, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

It's not like you've just had a big energy price increase and you have to decide between food, heating and other essentials.

I do agree with you.

However this isnt pay on delivery, its pay in advance, sight unseen.

At a minimum this serves as another reason why pre-ordering is a bad health risk for consumers of the hobby and reduces trust / damages faith in the hobby.

Even though its unfair to tar all manufacturers with the same brush, when your the one holding the brush, its hard not to think about it… and as you rightly say there are many things competing for cash right now.

Next time abc offers a deposit / prepay model of class 123, the response will be… ah but remember the KR Models Fell….  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I do agree with you.

However this isnt pay on delivery, its pay in advance, sight unseen.

At a minimum this serves as another reason why pre-ordering is a bad health risk for consumers of the hobby and reduces trust / damages faith in the hobby.

Even though its unfair to tar all manufacturers with the same brush, when your the one holding the brush, its hard not to think about it… and as you rightly say there are many things competing for cash right now.

Next time abc offers a deposit / prepay model of class 123, the response will be… ah but remember the KR Models Fell….  

But someone just needs to offer me a Swindon 126  or a Glasgow Blue Train , actually pretty much KR territory, and I'll have forgotten all about the Fell  as I plead with them to take my money !  We have very short/selective memories

Edited by Legend
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/06/2021 at 11:32, Darius43 said:

Many years ago when I was much younger my Dad brought home some second hand Model Railway Constructor magazines for me that a work colleague had given him.  I remember them being in black and white and one layout in particular stood out, which I can still picture in my mind’s eye,  It was a club layout that featured a minic motorway with level crossings over the railway.    

The picture I remember is that of an 08 shunter hauling an SR parcels van over the level crossing whilst a London bus waits.  At the time I thought the layout was fantastic even though the 08 was the one on the Jinty chassis and the “scenery” comprised various buildings placed on the tables upon which the layout was set.  I still think that layout is fantastic.

By today’s standards the layout would be woefully inaccurate and the locomotives patently unprototypical.  I don’t recall anyone complaining about this at the time - then again I tended to only look at the pictures at the time and still do.

The reason for this reminiscing on this thread is what I see as tendency for people to suck the joy out of this hobby with an almost fanatical thirst for accuracy, which can never be achieved.  Is KR Models Fell accurate?  Having read this thread since it started, the answer is probably no.  Is it possible to make an accurate Fell?  Having read this thread since it started, the answer is probably no (unless you have a complete set of photos taken from all sides at the same time).  Am I getting one? Yes.  It will run on the layout in the company of Shinkansens and UP Challengers so perhaps accuracy is an alien concept.  Am I bothered?   Nooooooooooooo.

Cheers

Darius

Just thought it was time I repeated this.  If this makes me a “trainset” modeller in some peoples eyes then so be it.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, col.stephens said:

Oh dear!  Then just let me repeat what I said a few pages ago -

The arguments about research, or lack thereof, have been made and constantly repeating them will not alter the fact that we are where we are.  If the model is not your cup of tea then don't buy it.  If you can live with the errors and are happy to spend the money, do so.

I won’t be buying one in the future, and  haven’t placed an order previously for one, it’s not a prototype that’s of interest. However those whom have already placed a deposit don’t have the luxury of that choice. They have to wait for delivery and if they reject the model they potentially lose their shipping costs. If there had been open communication regarding what was being provided, they could have made an informed choice prior to placing their order.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 02/03/2022 at 11:17, PMP said:

Please don’t make assumptions about what I’m assuming.

This reminds me of the great Samuel L Jackson who once said: "if you make an assumption you make an ass out of "u" and "umption".

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2

On 02/03/2022 at 13:11, Kylestrome said:

You've just summed up the whole problem in one sentence, and the answer to that is "buyer beware".

That is the risk we take. I did so already on:

1/ DJMs class 71 --> god awful thing

2/ DJMs class 74 --> became a Kernow credit

3/ Accurascale Deltic --> promises to be stunning

4/ Planet Industrials Vistory tank --> promises to be stunning

5/ Revolutions Caroline --> promises to be stunning

6/ Leader.....

etc.

And various wagons and coaches.....

Some of these turning out to be really exceptional others less so. In most cases, the alternatives are build it yourself which means finding time etc...

There is certainly some risk but in the main, more positive than negative.

I personally would not have too much money tied up in advanced orders though. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

The video of the Fell:

Thank you Jenny, really helpful. I notice each wheelset has a gear, based on the keeper plate having curved sections in the middle of each axle, did you confirm thst the model has all axle drive, wjich it will need if you remove the centre coupling rod, as I will want to, for BR green.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/03/2022 at 12:57, Darius43 said:

This reminds me of the great Samuel L Jackson who once said: "if you make an assumption you make an ass out of "u" and "umption".

Cheers

Darius

The version I heard was:

ASSUME makes an ASS of U and ME.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

The version I heard was:

ASSUME makes an ASS of U and ME.

That is the correct version as told by overrated course facilitators at business training events.

Mr Jackson’s version is much much betterer - as indeed is everything he says and does.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

The video of the Fell:

Brilliant Jenny. 

Lovely video and good to see The Fell running and hearing those Paxman's. 

Cheers,

Mark 

As I have been quoted, I had better show my history for this loco, N Gauge scratch built early 1980's from my own research, Judith Edge 4mm kit, they probably know more about this loco than many others. O Gauge A1 models special order 7 mm etch built early 2000's, its on the UTube video for Idleford Town.

If KR Models have made a one size fits all model, my craft knife and tools are waiting!!DSCN4419.JPG.77b79a5dde28ccaa709b9aa0cfdfe09b.JPG

DSCN4421.JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

7 hours ago, xm607 said:

As I have been quoted, I had better show my history for this loco, N Gauge scratch built early 1980's from my own research, Judith Edge 4mm kit, they probably know more about this loco than many others. O Gauge A1 models special order 7 mm etch built early 2000's, its on the UTube video for Idleford Town.

If KR Models have made a one size fits all model, my craft knife and tools are waiting!!DSCN4419.JPG.77b79a5dde28ccaa709b9aa0cfdfe09b.JPG

DSCN4421.JPG

VERY nice models, but putting them together does them no favours- in particular showing the windscreens on the OO and O gauge models to be of different proportions. and not quite the same angle to the vertical, though the latter could be a distortion of the lens in the broadside shot...

Les

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

So which one do you think is correct?

Seriously - I know the OO one is correct as it is Michael's.

BUT The majority of people don't know the Fell that well, and those would tend to assume the larger one is because it is O-gauge, based on a layman's conception of the two scales.

Les

• Thanks 1