Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Manor Announced for 00

meatloaf

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, dibber25 said:

Plus, as has been said a million times, you can't use the real paint on a 1:76 model because it won't look right. It will look way too dark. You have to interpret the colour and as none of us see colours quite the same, what looks right or OK to one person will look wrong to another. Add to that the fact that you're working off paint swatches about 2in by 1in that represent the paint that's available to the Chinese factory  - and anyone who ever decorated their house knows how paint swatches don't always match what's in the tin....... (CJL)

Simples - give them a tin of Precision BR locomotive green.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 07/08/2022 at 16:43, Forester said:

Remind me again how many scores of locos Currently carry BR Green?

Then find me one Currently carrying Dapol Mud Green.

Regards.

7828 Odney Manor carried an odd green for a while.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Hi, I've seen a lot of negative comments and wanted to make sure my video is not misleading anyone.

1) Tender wheels, yes they are stiff due to the pickups, however these are super easy to resolve by pushing them up into the body which reduces the pressure they cause. 

2) Middle tender wheels, they do indeed touch the rails! they may be set very slightly up which is a good thing but they touch the rails and spin once the above has been done.

3) chipped paint fireman's side. It's certainly delicate and likely caused by me when handling, a small bit of black paint sorts this out.

4) Cab handrails bent, yeah they were but they are super flexible and just need shaping, no doubt they are made flexible so they don't break.

5) Colour. Looks good to me so I am sharing photos taken in sunlight with the cameras white balance set for sunlight

6) Running qualities, now super smooth and very controllable after a basic running in at 40%

IMG_0478.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

IMG_0480.JPG

IMG_0484.JPG

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Adding a few more thoughts on the model  from someone who is happy with his purchase.

1. Plastic crosshead and piston rod. I don't believe this is a cost saving measure, as has been suggested, but I believe is due to the way they have dealt with the under running plate piston and rod on the crosshead on one side. They have made the running plate piston as a full cylinder, not open at the rear as in other makes, so I suspect the use of plastic mouldings is to enable the disconnection of the crosshead from both pistons on one side.

2. Colour. I think the colour is acceptable, maybe a bit light but better than Hornby. the orange of the lining is darker than on the Prairie, and I think this is an improvement.

3 Nameplates. These are fully lined in the quadrant below the plate. Also the moulded plate has raised edges, giving a better effect of a cast plate. The names are in flat printing.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, mikesndbs said:

Hi, I've seen a lot of negative comments and wanted to make sure my video is not misleading anyone.

1) Tender wheels, yes they are stiff due to the pickups, however these are super easy to resolve by pushing them up into the body which reduces the pressure they cause. 

2) Middle tender wheels, they do indeed touch the rails! they may be set very slightly up which is a good thing but they touch the rails and spin once the above has been done.

3) chipped paint fireman's side. It's certainly delicate and likely caused by me when handling, a small bit of black paint sorts this out.

4) Cab handrails bent, yeah they were but they are super flexible and just need shaping, no doubt they are made flexible so they don't break.

5) Colour. Looks good to me so I am sharing photos taken in sunlight with the cameras white balance set for sunlight

6) Running qualities, now super smooth and very controllable after a basic running in at 40%

IMG_0478.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

IMG_0480.JPG

IMG_0484.JPG

A challenge.

Find a photo of any currently preserved BR green loco which colour matches your pictures of the Dapol Manor.

Kind Regards.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Forester said:

A challenge.

Find a photo of any currently preserved BR green loco which colour matches your pictures of the Dapol Manor.

Kind Regards.

Does a Hornby model of a preserved BR green loco count? 🤣

I really can't see what this Hornby / Dapol obsession with grey-green is all about! Have an unpainted engineering sample painted in Precision BR loco green and send it back to China. The final product will match the sample or back they go!

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 7

The green really does change with the light, setting and angle. I agree, it is more washed-out than I might prefer, but please refer to two screenshots from the same video - only seconds apart - which highlights just how much the livery changes depending on circumstances.

Another very happy customer over here. Saint next? 

Screenshot_20220808-192002_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20220808-192013_Video Player.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 07/08/2022 at 10:21, Forester said:

In case anyone is interested THIS is BR Green.1828933755_50603_58.JPG.54d701bb7a09e3e290fe59ac8853994c.JPG

If the emulsion on this is correct then George's Smith's orange and yellow rendition of blood and custard is spot on (see the coach in the background).

Les

Fixing the drag on the Manor class tender wheels. (1) Referring to the manual turn tender upside down and remove the four screws, one in each corner. (2) Remove the three further screws from the weight and speaker mount as shown, also assist the wire out through the hole. (3) You can now see the pickups, a great idea they rub on the tops of the flanges so should not get dirty, gently flex the pickups up and away from the flanges until they are just touching. Reassemble, (don't forget the wire) make sure to lube the axles.

IMG_0492a.JPG

IMG_0493a.JPG

• Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, Forester said:

A challenge.

Kind Regards.

OK, here's one for you, find a model with scale real life people, water, oil, coal and steam? lol

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

8 hours ago, Forester said:

A challenge.

Kind Regards.

Do big engines count?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/61050667@N03/14361575361/

😃

46235 is also a similar shade and that was painted by BR.

As is 46100.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93293618@N05/27776858770

70000? Also light.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/70000-britannia/

Yes the colour is much richer, but nowhere near as dark as the image of the Castle above.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My Manor, 7800 Torquay Manor in unlined GWR green with the GWR shirtbutton on the tender arrived on Saturday last but my first opportunity to test it was this evening.  Like its stablemates, the Mogul and the Prairie before it, running was exemplary straight out of the box using a very basic Gaugemaster Combi controller.  My test track includes reverse curves and crossovers all of which were taken in its stride.  In fact, running was so good, I couldn't help double heading it with both the Mogul and Prairie and watching them glide through the pointwork was a joy.

A careful examination of the model showed it to be in perfect order with none of the issues reported elsewhere on this forum. Dapol's packaging oozes quality.

I have one minor criticism and that is the too shiny "brass" safety valve cover but then plated plastic will never look like the real thing. I'll tone it down with some Matt varnish, which worked very well on the Prairie.

This is another cracking model from Dapol.  Well done. 

And yes, I also have an Accurascale model on order.  Can't have too much of a good thing...

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Whoops!  Ok, let me ask the question in a different way - why has Dapol produced 7810 with a lined fender?

Hi,

Regarding 7810 in early B.R. lined livery, I have attached a picture we have used for making the livery sheets.

Thanks for your interest Regards, Richard

7810.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I received my two Compton Manors at the end of last week.  Apart from the over-shiney safety valve, which has already been mentioned, they are perfect out of the box.  And wht a box it is!

Another happy curstomer.  Thank you Dapol.

Saints please!

• Like 3