Hornby 2021 - P2 new tooling

AY Mod

8 minutes ago, Rshakes3 said:

Hello all, so I`ve run my example on the rolling road and there was really not much movement at all on the 3rd driving axle. I also put it in my cradle upside down and ran it and again not a lot to report - I did take a short video but it saved as an MP4 file so I can`t upload it - yet. 

Also I ran my loco light around both the 2nd & 3rd radius curves and on both left hand circuits there were no issues at all  but again a little hesitation on the right hand 3rd radius and a bit 'more' on the right hand 2rd radius curves. Over time I think it will ease and I`m not overly concerned. So hope that is useful🙂 

Ok - lets see if this works

P2 rollong road.gif

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, MRE2 said:

P2 in wartime. The 'Streamlined Bugattti' P2s only ran in 2 liveries before the Thompson rebuild started in 1943. So, my 2003 Lord President now sports its wartime coat, and looks pretty good next to 2005 Thane of Fife. Its not perfect (and I don't take great pictures) but I haven't done a repaint before and I'm quite pleased with it. It will look good next to its wartime sisters A4 and B17/5 that I have, now to get going on the W1 as the next project.

P2 pair.jpg

P2 backandfront.jpg

P2 fronts.jpg

Looks good to me dose your wartime black. What paint did you use , 

Edited by DonnyRailMan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Posted 8 hours ago (edited)

23 hours ago, MRE2 said:

P2 in wartime. The 'Streamlined Bugattti' P2s only ran in 2 liveries before the Thompson rebuild started in 1943. So, my 2003 Lord President now sports its wartime coat, and looks pretty good next to 2005 Thane of Fife. Its not perfect (and I don't take great pictures) but I haven't done a repaint before and I'm quite pleased with it. It will look good next to its wartime sisters A4 and B17/5 that I have, now to get going on the W1 as the next project.

To Donnyrailman :

Looks good to me dose your wartime black. What paint did you use ,

Halfords rattle can, matt black

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Eddie the dog said:

Probably wouldn’t have noticed if they were the same size 🤷‍♂️

But human beings aren't all the same size are they? He could be a jockey in his spare time!

Looking at pictures of 2007, I sense Hornby have got the tender wrong - the front and rear sheets shoud not be a high/arched as they are. Correct profile for the original locos, but 2007 has the same tender profile as Tornado, which means lower front and rear sheets.

Given they have tooled up a new body to reflect the different coal/water distribution, this seems odd, unless the tender 'roof' is an insert into the standard body

On 09/08/2023 at 07:57, Steam here! said:

Well I was surprised, the nameplates in the accessory pack are etched by the looks of things.

only scraped some of the back just to see for myself, this I’ll repaint black again at a later date to stop the brass being shown from behind.

IMG_4559.jpeg

IMG_4558.jpeg

I received my Earl Marischal yesterday and I`m very happy with the loco. All the bits were in the accessory pack. Now looking at the name plates I`m not inclined to apply the 'brass' ones as the ones on the loco look fine - they appear to be separate plates rather then just 'painted' on. Any thoughts? 

Just in case anyone was thinking of doing the same, a friend found upon removing Earl Marischal's nameplates to fit proper etched ones that there are a pair of locating holes close to both ends. The Fox ones were too short to hide them, so he fitted the supplied ones instead.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, SteveM666 said:

Fitting ‘proper’ etched plates is going to be loco specific - etched plates from Fox Transfers are an exact fit for Thane of Fife.

Many thanks, as I was thinking the same but was hesitant they could have been smaller.

55 minutes ago, Eddie the dog said:

I think ‘Thane of Fife’ is the same as ‘Lord President’ being a streamline loco it has the name printed on the

side rather than a separate part ?

Yes, it’s printed on ToF - as I said loco specific. At least the print is the same size as the Fox etched plate.

The extra nameplates supplied by Hornby, like those for Cock'o the North, look awful to me - nothing like etched brass plates should be. I've recently painted up some old plates I had in stock from the Ks kit to see how the come up for Thane but I'll probably get some from Fox or 247.

I've been playing around with the flanged wheels for the Cartazzi truck and have found that by removing all of the plastic section of the wheel hub on the inner sides back to level with back of the spokes and flange that, when fitted with 30 thou spacers to drop the keeper plate, it will just negotiate the inner 2ft radius curve of a Peco code 75 slip. I also had to put a narrow plastic 20 thou spacer above the axle itself to reduce any tendency to lift.

Andrew

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

The extra nameplates supplied by Hornby, like those for Cock'o the North, look awful to me - nothing like etched brass plates should be. I've recently painted up some old plates I had in stock from the Ks kit to see how the come up for Thane but I'll probably get some from Fox or 247.

I've been playing around with the flanged wheels for the Cartazzi truck and have found that by removing all of the plastic section of the wheel hub on the inner sides back to level with back of the spokes and flange that, when fitted with 30 thou spacers to drop the keeper plate, it will just negotiate the inner 2ft radius curve of a Peco code 75 slip. I also had to put a narrow plastic 20 thou spacer above the axle itself to reduce any tendency to lift.

Andrew

So - it CAN be done with a little ingenuity. Shouldn't be too difficult to do for Hornby, IF they really wanted to do.

CJI.

1 hour ago, Woodcock29 said:

Andrew

Presumably it can't go round a R4 half circle?