Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

Probably a stupid question but I wonder if the Hornby TT:120 range will appear in the 2023 catalogue? Being web excusives only. I've just looked at them on the bookcase I've just noticed 2019 was the last time the spine read OO Gauge from 2020 onwards the  2021 and 2022 catalogues this was omnited to just Model railways and accessories. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

56 minutes ago, Steven B said:

I'm amazed that Hornby can produce so much in TT:120, yet nothing in 009 or N. Does 9mm gauge track not exist in Margate?

The HAA hoppers are an odd choice given they were on their last legs when the 66 were built. Where's the 20, 37, 47, 56 or 58?

Steven B.

The 'N' and '009' sectors are pretty well served at present, it appears. Hornby has always been clear it wants to sell people a complete system and encourage newcomers to the hobby, so this fits with that strategy,

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Din said:

This range will also get aimed very squarely at the kind of people that follow the "Big stars" on the internet that, again, don't necessarily "do" model railways due to space.

Think Francis Bourgoise (2.6m followers on Tiktok, 1.6m Instagram) Geoff Marshall etc etc.

If they were smart they would sign up Sams Trains 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

14 minutes ago, MyRule1 said:

After pages of what seems like luke warm support here for this initiative,   @Din  has saved me typing time in his post.

All I need now is to sell my N gauge collection and purchase some Hornby TT as a replacement for my watch the train run layout. 

Lukewarm. But it's up to Hornby to sell it to us. That's what marketing is for.

Don't forget, by and large most of us here aren't over excitable youngsters like on other social media. We need convincing and many of the older ones have seen similar projects fail over the years such as British HO and O Gauge in the 1970s. I'm pretty sure many of us have a Lima 4F or Class 33 in either of those gauges lurking somewhere.

What's different about this new project that makes us put our hands in our pockets? That's what Hornby and others have go to do. Convince us.

Jason

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Coldgunner said:

Wonder how compatible it will be with the old Triang stuff.

Probably as compatible as old Triang stuff is with modern OO. Not much! Maybe worse as I vaguely remember it might have been 1:100 scale.

1 hour ago, cornelius said:

Go hard or go home I guess.

Makes sense in a way, clear of (most) competition, also appears to be only available from Hornby so further move to a direct sales model.

I pretty much see this as their fight for survival and reclaiming their brand as a household name.

For us long term modellers it will make little difference, I have invested too heavily in OO scale GWR and Japanese N scale to make the switch, plus I am more than happy to buy products from the new crop of manufacturers who have entered the market such as your company that are providing models that Hornby would have never touched, I can't wait for my Victory to arrive in the mail. 

• Like 2

Just now, JSpencer said:

Probably as compatible as old Triang stuff is with modern OO. Not much! Maybe worse as I vaguely remember it might have been 1:100 scale.

1:104.6 according to the video announcement, if I remember right.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DavidLong said:

Make tension locks look almost respectable . . .

They are the same as the standard in Europe, which opens a market (4472 and 4468 are popular there...). And, why invent a new coupling that's not going to be compatible? Certainly better than the 'hook and pin' type of earlier TT couplings.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

So what realistic stock is there for the 66’s to pull as I don’t think the Colas and GBRF are compatible with more than two tank liveries. 
Plus what is there that would pull 7 plk private owner wagons? 
Not exactly joined up thinking on the first release for scale modelling 😉

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

Probably a stupid question but I wonder if the Hornby TT:120 range will appear in the 2023 catalogue? Being web excusives only. I've just looked at them on the bookcase I've just noticed 2019 was the last time the spine read OO Gauge from 2020 onwards the  2021 and 2022 catalogues this was omnited to just Model railways and accessories. 

I reckon it will be separate Ryan.  For a start it's not available from model railway shops so you won't be able to pick up a catalogue there, I just joined the club and hope that means I get the catalogue. I can see it on website to download  but can't seem to figure out how to order it on line . They did say they would send you printed version . 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Online @ Hornby only? I hope the packaging is Hermes proof (or whatever courier they will be using by then).

A notable omission from the rolling stock is a BR 16 Tonner mineral wagon, hard to model the post-war railway without loads of those.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

59 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Well it’d be rather daft to pay when there’s no actual product to get the discount on 😆 

Will be interesting to see when it’s (actually) going to turn up . . . .

I suspect that there's a container either on its way, or already stuck in customs (bit of an issue at the moment, and not just for model railways). You'd expect that the Christmas market is a key hit?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, PaulRhB said:

So what realistic stock is there for the 66’s to pull as I don’t think the Colas and GBRF are compatible with more than two tank liveries. 
Plus what is there that would pull 7 plk private owner wagons? 
Not exactly joined up thinking on the first release for scale modelling 😉

Also, in the first phases, they've made both Mk2E and Mk2F in Intercity Swallow livery with nothing to pull them, no 47 or 86/87. There's a Class 50 in the special GWR livery that might do. Even the announced releases for later phases don't include a Swallow 47, just an NSE one that might do. Additionally there are Mk2s in blue and grey with only a single Class 50 to pull them.

Seems they're reproducing all the big hits in TT, and not making a completely joined up offering. 

• Agree 4