Hornby, A Model World. Series 2.

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

I very much enjoyed the episode, especially the family building the layout in thr loft.  Excellent.

We have seen the door labelled "only to be used in emergencies" several times.   This time the two people designing the spitfire just ambled through it,  clearly not an emergency.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

I very much enjoyed the episode, especially the family building the layout in thr loft.  Excellent.

We have seen the door labelled "only to be used in emergencies" several times.   This time the two people designing the spitfire just ambled through it,  clearly not an emergency.....

Apologies if thread drift. Hopefully they are not infringing any Building Regulations by bashing those holes through walls. Probably not intended as fire breaks but there are rules about fire breaks and staircases. 15 years since I retired and I wasn’t directly in Bldg Control but worked with them. IIRC over two floors (therefore including a loft conversion as 3rd floor) required a certain level of fire protection. A hole punched through a fire retarding break is not a good move.

Can any building qualified readers advise if the above is correct as I don’t want to pass on wrong or outdated comments.

Edited by john new
Accidentally hit send before finishing typing. Duh!
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

However, many consumer goods say Made in China so it would not be too much of a shock!  Rapido is more than happy to publish pictures of the production process in China but admittedly in emails to interested email recipients.  Hornby is still under British ownership, which is commendable, unlike 'iconic' brands like Vauxhall, Range Rover, Jaguar, Rolls-Royce cars or Bentley!

Vauxhall was bought by General Motors in 1925 and then by Peugeot in 2017., so not British owned for the last 98 years.

Hornby models may still be British owned, but sadly aren't British made. At least Vauxhall still have some UK production.

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, daltonparva said:

Missed yesterday's episode so I've just watched it on catch-up, and noticed the episodes go up to 11, but there's no number 10.

There is, it's next week and majors on the FLIRT unit and the Dorset steam fair trying to flog a pile of Steampunk boxes.  No.11 was released online in the first week due to the week's delay in showing No.1.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Something interesting jumped out at me from this weeks episode. It looks like we have an answer as to how Hornby plans to add working headlamps to forthcoming steam locomotives. The turbo motive seemed to have lights pointing up vertically out of the running plate above the buffer beam, definitely where the outer lamp brackets would be and possibly the middle location as well. Therefore I assume the modeller will have the option some how of either fitting a lamp or some kind of blanking to each position in order to achieve the desired lamp code.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

10 hours ago, daltonparva said:

Missed yesterday's episode so I've just watched it on catch-up, and noticed the episodes go up to 11, but there's no number 10.

There's a Spinal Tap joke there, somewhere.

Maybe Hornby controllers go up to11 as well.... 😁

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, john new said:

Apologies if thread drift. Hopefully they are not infringing any Building Regulations by bashing those holes through walls. Probably not intended as fire breaks but there are rules about fire breaks and staircases. 15 years since I retired and I wasn’t directly in Bldg Control but worked with them. IIRC over two floors (therefore including a loft conversion as 3rd floor) required a certain level of fire protection. A hole punched through a fire retarding break is not a good move.

Can any building qualified readers advise if the above is correct as I don’t want to pass on wrong or outdated comments.

I’m not a qualified building inspector but, as it’s a stairwell wholly within a domestic dwelling (rather than a public stairwell), I’m not sure that it has to be a fire compartment.

If it was, then all doors would need to be fire doors with closers and the walls would need to be better than the basic timber stud walls that the holes were being knocked through.  The timber roof would need to stop fire spreading also - which might be a challenge…

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Episode #11 was released after the failure to release Episode #1 on time. So its been kicking around for a couple of months now. Its a stand-alone episode that luckily doesn't include any spoilers for the plot in Eps 1 through to 10 :) 

Episode #10 hasn't been released yet. That should be next Monday.

On 14/03/2023 at 00:01, melmerby said:

There was a howler tonight when they mentioned the Turbomotive was wrecked in a crash and showed the mangled wreck of "Princess Anne"

No. The locomotive that was previously the Turbomotive was wrecked in the crash.

It was a double howler - I'm pretty sure that the mangled wreck they actually showed was of 'City of Glasgow' not 'Princess Anne'.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

I’m not a qualified building inspector but, as it’s a stairwell wholly within a domestic dwelling (rather than a public stairwell), I’m not sure that it has to be a fire compartment.

If it was, then all doors would need to be fire doors with closers and the walls would need to be better than the basic timber stud walls that the holes were being knocked through.  The timber roof would need to stop fire spreading also - which might be a challenge…

Cheers

Darius

Thanks for that. I guess I was remembering the rules for flats not domestic homes. At the seaside here so there were lots of houses to flats conversions and new build flats going on back in the early 2000s before I retired in 2008.

Edited by john new

• RMweb Gold
Just now, john new said:

Thanks for that. I guess I was remembering the rules for flats not domestic homes. At the seaside here so there were lots of houses to flats conversions and new build flats going on back in the 2000s before I retired.

Me too.  Post Grenfell I had to have my front door modified with new fire seals and all the fire doors in the block were replaced.

Cheers

Darius

• Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, Farang said:

And did you notice the acres of empty space behind some of the people being interviewed? I thought that all that area could be used as the warehouse and distribution of their products rather that paying millions to a third party miles away to provide that service?

Having been in there a few times, when it rains, that space is full of buckets trying to catch the water. I think this was mentioned in the first series.

It's so bad, that Lyndon has been called in to help mopping up in the past...

20190816_141719.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Cheers

Darius

If it is a domestic residence (and unless the Building Regulations have changed considerably since we built our house) there are a number of requirements if a loft/attic is used for habitable purposes.  And using it to house a model railway counts as a 'habitable purpose' according to both the then Building Inspector and the lady who came round to assess the house for rating purposes.  

Firstly the area has to be accessed via proper staircase - a loft ladder, or other not permanently in place ladder, is not permissible.  Secondly a fire door, of the recommended rating (I think 30 minutes but might be wrong on that) has to be provided at both ends of the staircase  which implies that the staircase has to be enclosed.  But there seems to be a possible way round this judging by some houses I've seen which have a third floor where they have the fire door only at the top of the stairs.

The purpose of these Regulations is to create short term survivable space so no doubt on that basis piercing a wall into the stairwell might well be in breach of the Regulations.   But note it is quite a while (16 years) since we built our house and I suspect that local interpretations might vary in respect of doors at both ends of the staircase to the roof space.   But there was no dubiety that placing a model railway in a roof space automatically reclassifies that area as habitable space and it has to be equipped etc accordingly.

I originally planned to include the roof as habitable space but when I was told I needed a fire door at both ends of the stairs I revised the plans to cease the area being habitable space in order to improve the amount of light on the landing and reduce cost.  Both the Building Inspector and the Rating Officer checked that the loft ladder led only to a storage area - which it still, all too obviously, does.

Incidentally if you convert a roof space into habitable space it will not immediately affect the rateable value but legally it is required -  I think that hasn't changed but am not sure - that the rateable value is then required to be re-assessed if/when the house is sold.  I see it is now referred to as 'liveable space'

https://resi.co.uk/advice/loft-conversions/loft-conversion-building-regulations

https://www.samconveyancing.co.uk/news/conveyancing/buying-a-house-with-loft-conversion-without-building-regulations-5547

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Incidentally if you convert a roof space into habitable space it will not immediately affect the rateable value but legally it is required -  I think that hasn't changed but am not sure - that the rateable value is then required to be re-assessed if/when the house is sold.  I see it is now referred to as 'liveable space'

Just had a re-banding for Council Tax here, 2 years after moving in,  extension was completed over 5 years ago by owners who sold to the vendor we bought from after a year, so 2 sales since the completion of works. Re-banding done from 350 miles away.

Edited by 2E Sub Shed
Add missed text
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

45 minutes ago, 2E Sub Shed said:

Just had a re-banding for Council Tax here, 2 years after moving in,  extension was completed over 5 years ago by owners who sold to the vendor we bought from after a year, so 2 sales since the completion of works. Re-banding done from 350 miles away.

Ours was re-banded after a building inspector visit last year to inspect the new roof tiles... 🤬

Anyway, enough about lofts- this isn't series 1 again...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, billy_anorak59 said:

It was a double howler - I'm pretty sure that the mangled wreck they actually showed was of 'City of Glasgow' not 'Princess Anne'.

The first still image was, as you say, 46242 standing in the station goods yard during the week following the accident, prior to being dismantled and removed. It is a well-known BR photo and totally irrelevant to the programme.

The second still image was correctly 46202, prior to rerailing but after 45637 had been removed. The latter was lifted during the night of 8th October (the day of the accident) and 46202 was lifted the following morning. The photo must therefore have been taken very early on 9th October.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, craneman said:

The first still image was, as you say, 46242 standing in the station goods yard during the week following the accident, prior to being dismantled and removed. It is a well-known BR photo and totally irrelevant to the programme.

The second still image was correctly 46202, prior to rerailing but after 45637 had been removed. The latter was lifted during the night of 8th October (the day of the accident) and 46202 was lifted the following morning. The photo must therefore have been taken very early on 9th October.

No idea where it has come from or how, but presumably someone in production googled imaged from the accident and came across the below which mistakenly identifies the image

Railway Herald :: Imaging Centre :: 46242 at Harrow & Wealdstone | Rail disasters, Steam trains uk, Steam locomotive (pinterest.co.uk)

On 14/03/2023 at 08:56, Legend said:

Overall I thought a decent program . I had the original 1/24 Spitfire but I had to get my Dad to do the engine.  I really wouldn't fancy doing the new one ! Is it an age thing or am I just too impatient ? 432 parts to the whole thing   eek 

If you fancy something railway related, there is always the 1/35 Dora Railway Gun. Over 3,000 parts. Someone claims to have actually counted the parts and reckoned there are 3315! As a noteworthy bit of added information, the box won’t fit in a normal family car. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

I don't quite understand the fact that, although I have made many aircraft in the past, I cannot rustle up the same enthusiasm to make a plane than I can for making a railway item kit......  It maybe that it has to have a function, even just a building on the layout!

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, HExpressD said:

No idea where it has come from or how, but presumably someone in production googled imaged from the accident and came across the below which mistakenly identifies the image

Railway Herald :: Imaging Centre :: 46242 at Harrow & Wealdstone | Rail disasters, Steam trains uk, Steam locomotive (pinterest.co.uk)

I must be missing your point! That seems to be the image of 46242 correctly identified as 46242.

On 14/03/2023 at 13:56, Phatbob said:

Auotincorrect strikes again?  I think maybe "plant" should be "plane".   So much for modern technology!

I agree entirely.  Of all of Hornby's talented designers we've 'met' so far in this series, Paramjit seems to be the only one who's a "pukka modeller", so to speak.  A real enthusiast.  It didn't surprise me at all that out of the whole team he was the one who actually built and finished the whole kit.  Made a bl00dy good job of it too IMHO.

I am seriously impressed by Paramjit. I am currently building the new 1/48 Buccaneer, which he designed. It has lots of little touches which immediately remind you in design of Tamiya and Eduard, really simple but well thought out and effective. Definitely a very good modeller bringing his experience and expectation of buildability? to his design. He seems such a modest chap too.

I hope the forthcoming 1/48 Gannet is one of his designs, and given his young age I hope he keeps designing for Airfix for many years to come. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 3

As I mentioned earlier, it is not clear at what point the design is handed of to the injection mould designer.  It's possible that Paramjit determined the split lines and thus designed the individual pieces but this detail hasn't been made clear.

• Agree 1