Bachmann Summer 2023 Announcements

AY Mod

19 minutes ago, nightstar.train said:

Unless there’s going to be a surprise announcement later on, yes. Maybe there’ll be a limited edition for the Bahamas owners to sell. 

Definitely sounds like it is being set up for some sort of release for the loco. It would be a bit absurd if there was no intention for the loco to be made.

53 minutes ago, big jim said:

luckily I’ve already got a colas 70 so not in the market for one but I do think they’ve missed a trick in not putting the new diamond logos on it rather than the helmet 

Yeah, it's a bit of an odd one that. The new logo has probably been on 70s about as long as the old one now as a guess?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Standards_in_OO said:

Unless I missed something or it has already been announced previously but was Bahamas support coach released without the actual locomotive? 

CH23 CHIMNEY JUBILEE DOUBLE

http://www.247developments.co.uk/loco_detailing.html

They also do the plates.

I'm not saying that's a solution for everyone. Just a pointer where to get them. I've already got them as I plan on doing it in it's 1970s red livery as I remember it at Dinting. Already got 5690 and 6115.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

I just done understand why Bachmann don’t take advantage of the current ludicrous prices being paid for MK2a and MK2f TSO blue and grey coaches by announcing further runs of them.  There has only been one run of the 2f in blue and grey.

Because we do not live in a fairy tale where someone can magic up new workers, new factories and production lines at a whim!

Please get real - Bachmann (as with other manufacturers) will only have the capacity to produce (or more correctly order from their parent Kadder Holdings) a finite number of models each quarter. That specific number then has to be split amongst the Branchline and Farish ranges - more Fairish will equal  less OO product, more Branchline stuff means less N product.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

I just done understand why Bachmann don’t take advantage of the current ludicrous prices being paid for MK2a and MK2f TSO blue and grey coaches by announcing further runs of them.  There has only been one run of the 2f in blue and grey.

And so the clamour for coaches moves on.

You'll have to wait you turn, N gaugers have been very patient and rewarded well today.

Bachmann cannot do it all at once, there is clearly limited capacity and that capacity has been used this quarter for N gauge coaches and rather nice class 40s - I shouldn't be saying that with all my N stuff, I don't need OO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

We all have our own perceptions of pricing for all manner of things; mostly based on historical experience but, in the main, the stuff sells out and people clamour for more so is it?

I don't think I look at the price I paid maybe 10 years ago for something and consider whether the current price is acceptable or reasonable before buying as I wouldn't pretend to understand all the factors involved. However, recent historical experience, particularly as concerns non-essentials such as model trains, does play a part. Whether we like it or not, we are influenced by what we paid before but forget that the fidelity will now be better, it may be a different manufacturer with a different approach to detailing and pricing, or just the step up from the previous version of the same model still being sold "last week". People hate duplication for good reasons, but if the duplication means different levels of detail and associated pricing, perhaps its not such a bad thing because we can choose what we are prepared to pay. As you say there appears to be sufficient demand for the high-end priced models, so we just have to get used to making a choice.

In a way I find it more frustrating when the livery I want is not included in the first or second batch of a new model and by the time it is produced prices have risen significantly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

It would seem that priority has been given to N gauge stuff this quarter and as such there isn't production space for significant quantities of OO items (the items which have been selected are there to capitalise on recent all new tooling).

One hopes the focus on N this time means that the Autumn or Winter announcements will have more 00 items - the beauty of Bachmanns quarterly announcement system is that anything they are announcing now will be leaving the production lines shortly thus creating room for the next quarters products to start being made.

The way I see it is this should be the announcement that is focused on N Gauge from Bachmann. We are now looking at releases for May through July - so a bit of slippage takes us into August as well. The Big N Gauge show (TINGS) is held in September. Best time to flood the market is now so the retailers are full of Farish and EFE products when they load their vans up for the big show. Plus the N gauge society show in a couple of weeks at York will also make them popular with all these new models to display.

As OO is the main market seller August should see normality return ready for Warley etc 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Ed-farms said:

As OO is the main market seller August should see normality return ready for Warley etc 

And the winter announcement in November a couple of weeks before Warley. Last year they certainly announced things then, like the mainline Hunslets, that were then available from dealers at Warley. 

Interesting assortment .

The 40 looks ok , but it’s a warmed over version for north of £200 - I’m tempted to wait and see if the boys from the Emerald Isle have a bash at one ( not the KR one !)

37 looks nice but I do wonder about focus for popular liveries - the limited edition 37 in general gray they had before took ages to shift , and now they have one with a little Scottish headlight - will that draw enough early 90s Scottish modellers in ? You can’t do a lot to change the number and customise that one . Personally I’d have thought a 3 TG with headlight would be better with one of those great names .

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ed-farms said:

“Normality”??!!

Richard

The Abnormal/Deviant Modeller

Seriously - is there any chance that 4mm modellers could drop this attitude to people who model in other scales?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RichardT said:

“Normality”??!!

Richard

The Abnormal/Deviant Modeller

Seriously - is there any chance that 4mm modellers could drop this attitude to people who model in other scales?

I don’t think there’s anything to be touchy about.

N is 10% of the market, so an announcement which has a lot of N is rare , so normality is OO really .

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Ed-farms said:

The way I see it is this should be the announcement that is focused on N Gauge from Bachmann. We are now looking at releases for May through July - so a bit of slippage takes us into August as well. The Big N Gauge show (TINGS) is held in September. Best time to flood the market is now so the retailers are full of Farish and EFE products when they load their vans up for the big show. Plus the N gauge society show in a couple of weeks at York will also make them popular with all these new models to display.

Or maybe Bachmann now recognise with competition from Accurascale, Rapido, Heljan and Dapol in OO perhaps they need to feed the N gaugers more 😁

Prices aren't that different, and we can fit in plenty more stock in the same space as OO and if Bachmann aren't going to go into TT120 then the obvious choice is more N.

To quote the great Christopher Walken - We need more N gauge  🤭

• RMweb Gold

Well i’m happy with 37262.

lets rejoice we’ve got an accurate Inverness far north 37 !!!

note its round buffers, despite having been cut skirt, as well as headlight.

Perfect for snowplough duties, piloting the clansman in snow….

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:
3 hours ago, big jim said:

luckily I’ve already got a colas 70 so not in the market for one but I do think they’ve missed a trick in not putting the new diamond logos on it rather than the helmet 

Yeah, it's a bit of an odd one that. The new logo has probably been on 70s about as long as the old one now as a guess

They've chosen wisely. 811 still has the style of logo modelled. Think it's the only one left.

Jo

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I find it interesting that the class 40 has been partially upgraded with new tooled ends. It would suggest they think there's a fair bit of life left in the tooling. Somewhat surprised they haven't gone down a SFX route with the inclusion of a roof fan whilst they been updating the electronics to capitalise on this.

6 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

A couple of interesting diesel loco releases in OO, but rather disappointed there were no further coaches or wagons from the Bachmann range announced, especially Bulleids.  

I ain't complaining when it comes to no carriages or wagons from Bachmann. I have enough to deal with from Rapido!! :D

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, E100 said:

I find it interesting that the class 40 has been partially upgraded with new tooled ends. It would suggest they think there's a fair bit of life left in the tooling. Somewhat surprised they haven't gone down a SFX route with the inclusion of a roof fan whilst they been updating the electronics to capitalise on this.

It just doesn’t stand up alongside the new 37, though. I’d rather see a partial retool to sort out the missing details. Until a better one comes out, I’d rather get secondhand or old stock from a shop and indulge in a little fettling, which I enjoy doing anyway. I appreciate many prefer to just run them though, and the general dimensions of the model are good.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, 97406 said:

It just doesn’t stand up alongside the new 37, though. I’d rather see a partial retool to sort out the missing details. Until a better one comes out, I’d rather get secondhand or old stock from a shop and indulge in a little fettling, which I enjoy doing anyway. I appreciate many prefer to just run them though, and the general dimensions of the model are good.

I entirely agree that the external tooling is of a different generation and for many on here they desire a full retool. I just thought it could be relatively easy and savvy move to head off potential competition and encourage further sales purely from a business perspective as per Hornby and it's recent HST upgrade.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steadfast said:

They've chosen wisely. 811 still has the style of logo modelled. Think it's the only one left.

Jo

Yes I’ve been looking at the recent photos of 811 on Railway Herald and it’s still got the original hard hat logos on it 👍

Edited by norfolkchinaclay

The EFE O Gauge Class 15 is surely the old Little Loco tooling and is offered at what I consider a very reasonable price for the quality of the loco.

The box shifters have it at £314

Paul R

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

I don't think I look at the price I paid maybe 10 years ago for something and consider whether the current price is acceptable or reasonable before buying as I wouldn't pretend to understand all the factors involved. However, recent historical experience, particularly as concerns non-essentials such as model trains, does play a part. Whether we like it or not, we are influenced by what we paid before but forget that the fidelity will now be better, it may be a different manufacturer with a different approach to detailing and pricing, or just the step up from the previous version of the same model still being sold "last week". People hate duplication for good reasons, but if the duplication means different levels of detail and associated pricing, perhaps its not such a bad thing because we can choose what we are prepared to pay. As you say there appears to be sufficient demand for the high-end priced models, so we just have to get used to making a choice.

In a way I find it more frustrating when the livery I want is not included in the first or second batch of a new model and by the time it is produced prices have risen significantly.

Another factor is that, Bachmann's previous 47 was pretty good. The Vi Trains *might* have been a tad better but somewhat harder to find however when think that most people had Lima 47s (and maybe a few Hornby upgrades of it, and perhaps a Heljan) when the Bachmann released theirs, it was on a different planet. 200+ parts vs 50 for less than £100.

Result, most people replaced their Lima fleets with the far better Bachmann ones.

The new 47, better than previous one, is not as huge a leap over the previous version vs Lima. The old and new Bachmann ones can sit side by side on a layout and from normal viewing distance, you probably would not instantly spot that they were 2 different generations of models (until you zoom and look for them).

Result, most people buying them will probably add them to supplement the fleet rather than wholesale replacement. 

Today, manufacturers are fighting to sell you your next model and I doubt any are seriously expecting a wholesale replacement. This can be done either via doing the utimate 'whatever' or a class not covered before.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2