Bachmann Summer 2023 Announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Sorry maybe a bit off topic but which loco was Richard stood in front of and could it be a clue for a future release? Or was it released in these announcements?

21 minutes ago, GD said:

It is a departmental mk3 I believe, definitely not announced.

It's 977996.

The battery car for the hybrid HST tests with 43089 "Hayabusa"

997996 20080415 Euston

Edited by newbryford
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

How long was blue with ore tops about ?

For Class 47, by my reckoning, 6 years - from 1649 around Feb 1969 until 1724 Feb 1975 (interesting case this last one, as according to my notebook for the period I saw it renumbered to 47133 then back to 1724 again before becoming 47549 in Feb 75!)

Despite bodyside numbers and single central logo being the standard pre-TOPS blue livery for Class 47 during this period TTBOMK there has never been an RTR release in this condition in any scale - Lima did D1957 in original early blue (cabside logos/bodyside numbers), Bachmann have done D1547 and 1662 in later early blue (cabside numbers/bodyside logos) and Heljan likewise with 1932. 

By way of comparison the green TOPS period, represented by 20141, 25043, 47256 and now 40039 (only green TOPS '03', '08' '24' & '37' to go now then!

😉) also lasted 6 years, from Feb 74 until 20141 went blue in May 1980 with 08934 lasting slightly longer.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

It is 977996, a converted Mk3 TGS. It was used as the “tender” for Hayabusa, the hybrid test bed HST power car Hitachi made. It carried the batteries and associated equipment. After testing was over it was surplus to requirements and Bachmann bought it as an office for their headquarters. So the odds of it ever being produced are vanishingly small. 

Hornby made a "version" of it. https://www.hattons.co.uk/175004/hornby_r4457coach1_mk3_nmt_coach_977996_in_network_rail_yellow_split_from_r4457_set/stockdetail

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, rob D2 said:

It’s a niche within a niche I guess . How long was blue with pre tops about ? 

1967 to 1974, so 7 years. A significant part of the life of a number of first gen diesels that Bachmann produce - 24, 25, 40, 45, 46. Of these, I think only the 24 and the 46 have had a single pre-TOPS blue example in the main range. The people who remember this period are likely to be recently retired, so they are possibly missing a trick. I like this period for its mix of modernisation and steam age infrastructure.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, RichardT said:

“Normality”??!!

Richard

The Abnormal/Deviant Modeller

Seriously - is there any chance that 4mm modellers could drop this attitude to people who model in other scales?

Just for the record I do model in N gauge, I have 2 layouts that attend exhibitions (one won best in show), member of the N Gauge society and also treasurer of my local area group. Don't think that really classes me as a OO modeller.

I would love Farish to churn out loads of stuff every quarter - I still long for a SDJR 7F but I acknowledge that the market would be fairly small in N gauge for one and we have to take the chances we get. Will these Mak 1's and Mark 2F's fly out the door or will they end up in bargain bins? Hopefully fly out the doors so it encourages more production runs

12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Charles darwin has a stake in this…

This is how a class. 56 becomes a class 69.

But its not how a model class (xx) becomes a super detailed model of the same class.

Indeed constant inbreeding of the same classes of loco by retooling will lead to genetic failure.

At some point manufacturers are going to have to adapt and explore new markets…

Despite all the critics Hornby did step out and try TT. Now Marklin is trying a HO scotsman. I personally think its easier.. I keep saying units, and pre 1923 are the obvious ones, then look to replace tv remote control technology (DCC) with wifi

But constant retooling of the same class isnt going to end well.

Hornby - perhaps - are trying too hard to find new markets. With the fantasy liveries, steam punk, live steam... And then their other extreme being the main core being too main core concentrating too much on the same locos (how many Scotsman's can a collector want?). And the railroad stuff, especially the wagons, becoming overpriced obsolete tat (compare those to Dapol's "made in Wales" wagons, which at least can sit aside super detail stuff and don't look out of place). 

TT is long term item, it will either gradually take off to slowly replace OO as the key market or remain pretty niche.

Bachmann have stepped out and tried 00-9 which works but obviously only with gentle releases over time. 

I agree Pre 1923 is an area of expansion and units although again maybe not too much at once.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Hornby - perhaps - are trying too hard to find new markets. With the fantasy liveries, steam punk, live steam... And then their other extreme being the main core being too main core concentrating too much on the same locos (how many Scotsman's can a collector want?). And the railroad stuff, especially the wagons, becoming overpriced obsolete tat (compare those to

To be fair, I think in this case... you've taken many different products and attempted to lump them under the same context. In reality, each actually has its own relevance (both to time period and market) and levels of success. 

As for TT, I don't think it was ever intended to fully replace OO. It would be almost impossible simply due to the historical range of items. What it does do, is give Hornby a foothold in the smaller-scale market... and a renewed lease of rolling stock choice. Likely it will develop to be as niche as N-Gauge is today (which itself will also develop). 

There are also still gaps left in the OO market which Hornby could explore. They could also go back to making duplicates (I don't think the market necessarily minds them... but they will almost always try to grab the one that is most competitive... and that may be a challenge for Hornby to think about. It would require more radical thinking on their part...)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, stovepipe said:

1967 to 1974, so 7 years. A significant part of the life of a number of first gen diesels that Bachmann produce - 24, 25, 40, 45, 46. Of these, I think only the 24 and the 46 have had a single pre-TOPS blue example in the main range. The people who remember this period are likely to be recently retired, so they are possibly missing a trick. I like this period for its mix of modernisation and steam age infrastructure.

And if the majority of your layout is dominated by WR hydraulics then thankfully we have other manufacturers who are more willing to service our needs and as you mentioned it is a good cross over period.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

It is 977996, a converted Mk3 TGS. It was used as the “tender” for Hayabusa, the hybrid test bed HST power car Hitachi made. It carried the batteries and associated equipment. After testing was over it was surplus to requirements and Bachmann bought it as an office for their headquarters. So the odds of it ever being produced are vanishingly small. 

Maybe, but having a mk3 as your office would very good research material, should they decide to make a mk3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

Hornby - perhaps - are trying too hard to find new markets. With the fantasy liveries, steam punk, live steam... And then their other extreme being the main core being too main core concentrating too much on the same locos (how many Scotsman's can a collector want?). And the railroad stuff, especially the wagons, becoming overpriced obsolete tat (compare those to Dapol's "made in Wales" wagons, which at least can sit aside super detail stuff and don't look out of place). 

TT is long term item, it will either gradually take off to slowly replace OO as the key market or remain pretty niche.

Bachmann have stepped out and tried 00-9 which works but obviously only with gentle releases over time. 

I agree Pre 1923 is an area of expansion and units although again maybe not too much at once.

I don't quite understand why its only Hornby that gets constantly knocked though, they are all guilty to a certain degree.

Rapido do fantasy liveries and have numerous livery errors (original issue of the Dynamometer Car is full of them)

As does KR Models with things like BR Blue GT3s.

Bachmann make TTTE stuff (so should they be dismissed as a toy manufacturer?)

Dapol make loads of wagons that were obsolete in the 1970s (ironically most of them old Hornby)

Hornby do Coronation tat? I don't think you can call this tat. It's one of the best RTR models on the market.

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/br-coronation-class-4-6-2-46220-coronation-era-4-club-exclusive-r30283

Jason

• Like 1

Outside this thread , but Hornby have to try and diversify as the profit on their turnover isn't impressive .

I hope TT works for them , steam punk and Olympics tat clearly didn't 

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Outside this thread , but Hornby have to try and diversify as the profit on their turnover isn't impressive .

I hope TT works for them , steam punk and Olympics tat clearly didn't 

Their past record suggests that Hornby has a built-in self-destruct mechanism set to activate every ten years or so.

Hopefully the latest in the sequence was Steampunk rather than TT:120 and the next won't be until about 2032...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I cant help but think marketing is sometimes Hornbys worst enemy.

But when they get that right, its trivial errors or short cutting that make them look silly.

But you cant fault Hornby for trying on new market ideas, theve certainly given it a go.

i wouldnt be surprised if a new road system comes about, or if model ships make a return.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

I don't quite understand why its only Hornby that gets constantly knocked though, they are all guilty to a certain degree.

Rapido do fantasy liveries and have numerous livery errors (original issue of the Dynamometer Car is full of them)

Dapol make loads of wagons that were obsolete in the 1970s (ironically most of them old Hornby)

Hornby do Coronation tat? I don't think you can call this tat. It's one of the best RTR models on the market.

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/br-coronation-class-4-6-2-46220-coronation-era-4-club-exclusive-r30283

Jason

I think the difference is with Hornby it tends to be stuff tied into a particularly niche event so making the models more of a commemerative or collectable item rather than the 'what if' liveries of the others. But when you're talking about a full HST rake (e.g. Coronation HST or even the LNER Farewell Tour set) its a pretty expensive memento for a short-lived prototype that might be current at the time but quickly forgotten too. The buying demographic for Hornby must be very different to other manufacturers to have a ready supply of buyers with £500+ to throw around.

Would there also be a sense of disappointment for popular, mainstream models being produced in random liveries while other far more common liveries have been overlooked? e.g. How many Intercity Executive HSTs could be sold compared to Coronation ones?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, GordonC said:

I think the difference is with Hornby it tends to be stuff tied into a particularly niche event so making the models more of a commemerative or collectable item rather than the 'what if' liveries of the others. But when you're talking about a full HST rake (e.g. Coronation HST or even the LNER Farewell Tour set) its a pretty expensive memento for a short-lived prototype that might be current at the time but quickly forgotten too. The buying demographic for Hornby must be very different to other manufacturers to have a ready supply of buyers with £500+ to throw around.

Would there also be a sense of disappointment for popular, mainstream models being produced in random liveries while other far more common liveries have been overlooked? e.g. How many Intercity Executive HSTs could be sold compared to Coronation ones?

On that note, maybe redirect to here…

and lets focus on more sensible models.

• Funny 2

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

My comment was that Hornby are probably trying too hard and overkilling it. Flicking mud at walls hoping something sticks rather than looking at what actually sticks.

Bachmann are somewhat more cautious these days trying to feel their way around in the dark given the constraints upon them.

An all new 40 or additional improvements might be nice, but time & resources to go that far probably did not exist. So we have something not done before within their current constraints.

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Not to scare anyone but….

Rails seem to have sold out of sound fitted Colas class 70’s already.

Not surprised at all. I'd imagine they'll all sell out. The second hand market is silly and makes yesterdays prices seem cheap. Even yesterday afternoon one went for £285 🫣

Edited by Markn

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

How'd you guess?! (4 years ago)

4 years still to go, I must have been very young - or just having to work longer to afford more models 🤦‍♂️🤣

• Like 1