Bachmann Europe - Winter 2023 Announcements

AY Mod

2 minutes ago, JPinza55 said:

Like it, though quite surprised at the absence of the Class 25

Given the two announced in 2018 don't have release dates ATM, I wouldn't expect any further class 25 models to be announced at the February announcement either.

• RMweb Premium

The Bachmann 40 is still a nice model. Could it be improved if a manufacturer went all out to do a full fat version, such as Accurascale or Bachmann as per their latest 37 & 47? Yes. Does that mean the current model is not a good one? Not in my opinion, it sits in that zone of so many models we now have which could be improved but for which I'm highly unlikely to feel any need to replace existing stuff I have.

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Interesting that EFE is moving on into new stuff and not just badge engineering. 

The EFE Rail items announced last quarter were also completely new tooling... (and I should know... 😆  ) 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

Given the two announced in 2018 don't have release dates ATM, I wouldn't expect any further class 25 models to be announced at the February announcement either.

Yep, though I saw pictures of the samples a few months back so they can’t be too far away.

• RMweb Premium

it is interesting that the EFE Booster is priced at £184.95 whereas a 37 is now coming in at £249.95 and a 20 at £224.95 . Suggesting that maybe its less expensive using other factories than the normal Bachmann/ Kader relationship?  

I'd forgotten about the Boosters to be honest , never realised one got as far as BR Blue , so certainly interesting set of announcements . I'll bet the "Jaffa Cake" 4 CEP is the high spot though . Really fancy one - but that would be even stretching Rule 1 too far !  The 20 in green with full yellow ends is nice too and maybe a possibility sometime in the future . 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, Legend said:

it is interesting that the EFE Booster is priced at £184.95 whereas a 37 is now coming in at £249.95 and a 20 at £224.95 . Suggesting that maybe its less expensive using other factories than the normal Bachmann/ Kader relationship?  

Bachmann have been very clear since the EFE Rail brand was introduced over 3 years ago that EFE Rail items are made in non-Kader factories, mainly from non-Bachmann owned toolings (IIRC the only Bachmann owned toolings have been the 1938 & 1959 tube stock trains).

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

I must admit I do like the refurbished CEP units, the "Jaffa Cake" example in particular looks nice.

They look good, it's true. Jaffa Cake was one of several new livery options presented to Gordon Pettitt by the L&SE Rolling Stock Officer, Peter Bulman - and I was privileged to see them about 10 minutes before GCP did!

Sadly the refurbished CEPs were not a triumph of industrial design inside, and the seat squabs would separate far too easily from the frame, occasionally depositing the paying customer on the floor, while the headrests in first class similarly fell off their mountings. I am confident these models will not share these shortcomings......

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

The EFE Rail items announced last quarter were also completely new tooling... (and I should know... 😆  ) 

Alas quite a few people still don't seem to 'latch-on' regarding newly tooled items in the EFE range although various of us have pointed out previously what is happening and where the design work and development is being done.  As a matter of interest will the Hornby/Booster be coming from the factory which made the Kernow Bulleid diesel?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It's been covered, at length, before. It's not practical for mass production.

Ironic that  Hornby are doing it with the Turbomotive and the Black 5 where we dont want fixed lamps whereas that isnt an issue for the DRS Class 20.

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

Have you any interest in the LSWR  T3  ?

Some of us see Muz's farcebook page and  regulat links from him.  Interestingly, or not, the story of the T3's return to working order has been regularly covered links he has posted  (but on the other hand so has work progress on a certain Bulleid pacific so don't start getting too excited all at once!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

No, because they are rarely, if ever, on the end of a train. They are either coupled nose to nose or top & tailed.

Some people may wish to run their locos nose first - just because it is not common does not mean it does not happen.

Peter

IMG_3911.JPG

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Nose-first running was much more common in Scotland, and also seen on short trip workings around Barrow Hill, and of course in the East End of London when first introduced.

I'm interested in getting one of the 'Hornbys' - electric locos with steam heating boilers, very quirky.

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Two Boosters ordered.  

A project I had received hints about some time ago so was expecting to see announced either today or at Warley.  As this is a public forum I can confirm there was no leak of information from Bachmann / KMRC sources; my tip-off was from elsewhere.  

The Jaffa-cake Cep looks lovely with the exception of the motor blocking two bays of passenger saloon windows.  This appears to be a carry-over of the existing arrangements where the motor was concealed by the guard's van in the as-built units.  Practicality and costs perhaps determined this rather than fitting one of the newer low-profile motors along the floor line.  

Sadly for me I am modelling earlier times and have nowhere to run a Jaffa-cake unit so I will have to donate the one which I might have ordered to another customer 🤣

On the whole some consolidation and re-livery along with some new works and tooling making this an announcement worth waiting for.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

Nose-first running was much more common in Scotland, and also seen on short trip workings around Barrow Hill, and of course in the East End of London when first introduced.

North West as well. Often on engineering trains after they had taken over from the Rats as the "small" diesel locomotive. Usually one borrowed from Tinsley or Toton.

Hardly ever saw them working in pairs.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

35 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Alas quite a few people still don't seem to 'latch-on' regarding newly tooled items in the EFE range although various of us have pointed out previously what is happening and where the design work and development is being done.  As a matter of interest will the Hornby/Booster be coming from the factory which made the Kernow Bulleid diesel?

Hi,

I don't know what official connections various contributors to RMWeb have with model manufacturers.

So I commented on what I saw in the Bachmann video which didn't seem to mention Kernow as a partner or non Kader manufacturers. 

Regards

Nik

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Please let this be the end of the 37s and 40s for a decade or so…. I now have more than enough and can’t afford any more.

I do like the Hornbys; I too never expected to see them in OO. I know I had them for haulage on the Newhaven boat trains when I was a kid in the mid 60s but no idea which one(s).

The refurbished 4-CEPs look very good but I do wonder how well they will sell with three liveries released at once. I presume it helps reduce overall production costs, which is no bad thing, but how many people will be able to afford to buy more than one at a time?

The big omission for me is coaching stock - again. Yes the LNER van is useful as, like most, strayed well away from the ER but what about standard Mk1s that are pretty much unavailable new and have been for some time. And the Bulleid coaches - we’ve had a 2-set in BR(S) green but what about the far more common 3-sets or coaches that can be used as loose vehicles?

Never mind…

Edited by brushman47544

I know this is a ludicrous question to ask, but I’m struggling to see another reason as to the situation…….

Probably the most inflated cost in the Bachmann second hand market is blue and grey MK2F TSOs.  £120+ per coach is not uncommon for sold items on eBay, yet there has not been a rerun of these since the first production run which is years ago now. Surely there aren’t licensing issues or anything like that? I can’t see why Bachmann wouldn’t do another run of their most popular coach!

• Agree 3