Bachmann Class 30/31

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Trainshed Terry said:

That link is not working for me.

Terry.

This link below from earlier in the thread works.

On 21/02/2024 at 23:37, Southernman46 said:
  • Thanks 1

I had a close look at these and Accurascales model today, I have to say Bachmann seems to have captured the look and feel better.

No disrespect to AS at all, their model is fantastic too and you would be pushed hard to tell which is which on a layout.

• Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, NBL said:

I had a close look at these and Accurascales model today, I have to say Bachmann seems to have captured the look and feel better.

No disrespect to AS at all, their model is fantastic too and you would be pushed hard to tell which is which on a layout.

As mentioned I'll be sampling both types for my layout, it will interesting to see how they each perform but as I'm concerned it's a win either way!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/02/2024 at 07:15, NickL2008 said:

It was a nice addition but the drive belt caused more problems

NL

To add some balance one of best running locos of any I have is a Hornby R2421 31 110 in BR Civil Engineer dutch.  The fan can rotate when it’s at an imperceptible slow speed. The issue from my research is the lubricant Hornby use, which dries out and causes drag. Once mechanism is cleaned, checked and lubricated with decent quality oil, I’ve not had any issues with the belt driven fans. 

To be even more controversial I quite like opening cab doors. Adds a real touch of realism seeing a loco with the cab door ajar. But that is my personal preference, and others will have theirs. 

Edited by richierich
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, NBL said:

Where do you feel the difference is? I too have handled the Accurascale offering and thought it was spot on. 

Have you seen a Bachmann version “in the flesh”?

Roy

50 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Where do you feel the difference is? I too have handled the Accurascale offering and thought it was spot on. 

Have you seen a Bachmann version “in the flesh”?

Roy

It's hard to pinpoint, I just think that overall Bachmann have captured the 31 better.

I saw both at Model Rail Scotland yesterday 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I must admit having seen the Bachmann offering and being the owner of a GSYWP Accurascale 37, the green is definately better from Bachmann. Despite having an Accurascale 31 on pre-order, this might be enough to swing it in favour of the Bachmann offering, despite there not being a GSYWP example as of yet. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, richierich said:

To add some balance one of best running locos of any I have is a Hornby R2421 31 110 in BR Civil Engineer dutch.  The fan can rotate when it’s at an imperceptible slow speed. The issue from my research is the lubricant Hornby use, which dries out and causes drag. Once mechanism is cleaned, checked and lubricated with decent quality oil, I’ve not had any issues with the belt driven fans. 

To be even more controversial I quite like opening cab doors. Adds a real touch of realism seeing a loco with the cab door ajar. But that is my personal preference, and others will have theirs. 

I still like the Hornby 31, it has its merits the mechanism is still a good performer, never got round to DCC'ing my ones, but it was reliable despite my "bodges" when transplanting them over into a Lima chassis. The lights also were good, which was why whenever I reused the chassis, the lights would be included as well despite the minor differences in spacing etc.

NL

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/02/2024 at 18:18, NHY 581 said:

I must admit having seen the Bachmann offering and being the owner of a GSYWP Accurascale 37, the green is definately better from Bachmann. Despite having an Accurascale 31 on pre-order, this might be enough to swing it in favour of the Bachmann offering, despite there not being a GSYWP example as of yet. 

Rob. 

But what is our comparator? I often think our judgement of what is right is what we are used to seeing now, not necessarily what was in the past.

Too many locos today are greener and shinier than photos from the 1960s show. Is that modern paints? The photos lying to us? Or weathering of the subjects photographed?

For me Bachmann locos look very close to how preserved locos appear, but is that realistic for the 1960s? I have not seen a green 31 from Accurascale in the flesh yet, so I can’t comment on that, but photos of that and photos of 31s in the 1960s both look duller and a different shade to Bachmann. 

Roy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Some pics from Model Rail Scotland . Not sure what the difference is with the two red stripe one . They had the same manufacturers ref but I noted they actually were two different class 31s  31149 and 31180 I think 

IMG_6745.jpeg

IMG_6744.jpeg

IMG_6746.jpeg

Edited by Legend
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

...photos of 31s in the 1960s...

No problems for those of us wanting Brush 2's (30) then. 😂 

The reality was that the BR green on the pilot classes looked wonderful newly delivered and shiny, and very swiftly dulled in service. Personally,  the grubby and faded I have because mine are old Airfix GMR bodies, so I am definitely in for a shiny 'as new' one.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

But what is our comparator? I often think our judgement of what is right is what we are used to seeing now, not necessarily what was in the past.

Too many locos today are greener and shinier than photos from the 1960s show. Is that modern paints? The photos lying to us? Or weathering of the subjects photographed?

For me Bachmann locos look very close to how preserved locos appear, but is that realistic for the 1960s? I have not seen a green 31 from Accurascale in the flesh yet, so I can’t comment on that, but photos of that and photos of 31s in the 1960s both look duller and a different shade to Bachmann. 

Roy

Colour perception conversation - always goes well (for connoisseurs there is debate over shades of black on the Dapol channel!).

For what its worth I've got green versions of the Accurascale and Bachmann 37's and whilst stressing that all of this is perception so there is no right and wrong I find it easier to match Bachmanns green to colour images from the '60's than Accurascales. But there is very little in it, I think possibly the satin sheen that Bachmann use gives greater depth and life to the colour than AS's more matte finish. Not sure if their BR Manor is the same shade as their 37 but it too has more sheen and looks darker.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Having see both at Model Rail Scotland I can say both look great and happily sit along side one another on my layout. We are lucky to have two great models to choose from.

Edited by shunny
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Legend said:

Some pics from Model Rail Scotland . Not sure what the difference is with the two red stripe one . They had the same manufacturers ref but I noted they actually were two different class 31s  31149 and 31180 I think 

IMG_6745.jpeg

IMG_6744.jpeg

IMG_6746.jpeg

I think they've just split the production batch to number with alternative numbers for the same tooling. The product reference number has a suffix A on it so essentially same tooling and livery

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Legend said:

IMG_6745.jpeg

IMG_6744.jpeg

IMG_6746.jpeg

Somebody's quick off the mark, 31435 has already been renumbered!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, GD said:

Somebody's quick off the mark, 31435 has already been renumbered!

Presumably 31433 is the second number being offered on the 31/4, as with the other liveries, and is 35-825A.

• Like 1

On 24/02/2024 at 18:18, NHY 581 said:

green is definately better from Bachmann

TBH, I don't think anyone does paint as well as Bachmann, both in terms of the colours and the finish. It always seems to have a nice sheen to it that doesn't look glossy but doesn't look matte like a lot of the others do.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

8 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Colour perception conversation - always goes well (for connoisseurs there is debate over shades of black on the Dapol channel!).

For what its worth I've got green versions of the Accurascale and Bachmann 37's and whilst stressing that all of this is perception so there is no right and wrong I find it easier to match Bachmanns green to colour images from the '60's than Accurascales. But there is very little in it, I think possibly the satin sheen that Bachmann use gives greater depth and life to the colour than AS's more matte finish. Not sure if their BR Manor is the same shade as their 37 but it too has more sheen and looks darker.

My Accurascale Deltic in green dont look too bad after buffing the body with toothpaste to get rid of most of the satin look and add 7 coats of Klear...

20230514_120457.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

Weighing in here on the subject of colours: besides what has already been said (most of which I agree with), looking at the pre-production models, the Bachmann green is more pleasing to my eye, but the Accurascale green is probably nearer a well-used example of an in-service locomotive. 

As far as the standard of the models goes, both look superb, so for me it comes down to price and features for that price, which is where Accurascale nudge ahead. To get all the features on the Bachmann one, we have to pay a premium. Once discounting starts, the gap will narrow.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Melton Works said:

My Accurascale Deltic in green dont look too bad after buffing the body with toothpaste to get rid of most of the satin look and add 7 coats of Klear...

20230514_120457.jpg

That looks really good  - and that green is nearer the shade used on the AS Manor too. Be interesting to see how a green 37 responded to the same treatment - looks to be the same shade as the Deltic 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeParkin65 said:

That looks really good  - and that green is nearer the shade used on the AS Manor too. Be interesting to see how a green 37 responded to the same treatment - looks to be the same shade as the Deltic 

I also think with photos, past and present,  you have to take into consideration lighting and the locos finish. Here is a Bachmann D200 that had the same treatment, but as you can see the indoor artificial light and outdoor picture, in natural light, look a totally different shade of green.

20231029_120404.jpg

20231027_003459.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, Melton Works said:

20230514_120457.jpg

Seeing the model like this in actual daylight makes it feel more real to me. Well done.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Well I was wondering would it be in bad taste to ask for class 31 601 In pink? 

I’ve always liked the livery I don’t know why, I was put on a course of antibiotics, but they didn’t work, I still like the pink. 

I had thought about which manufacturer I’d like to see do this livery, I think I would be happier with the Bachmanns deluxe edition personally. 

IMG_2529.jpeg

Edited by farren
  • Funny 1