Bachmann Class 30/31

AY Mod

8 minutes ago, Richard RK3 said:

Mind you, the Hornby version I own is actually a fairly recent one, no: 31147 (product no: R3880) which was released in 2021.  

I don’t think they’ve done anything to update it other than remove the working fan over time 

• Agree 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I don’t think they’ve done anything to update it other than remove the working fan over time 

Some felt the Molecular Integrity Longevity Fix was worthwhile.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

13 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

Well just looking at the EP / samples of each, I think the Hornby one has some competition, it was good for 2005, but thats almost 20 years ago now, it has its errors and weve lived with them before the Rot started...

Alternative opinion, it was a poor model by simply not capturing the appearance, thanks to the insufficiently narrow top half of the cab. Looked like a hybrid BRCW/Brush type 2 end on.  Despite much liking the centre motor drive, this model - in common with the misshapen 2001 release Heljan 47 - not purchased. (The mazak rot was the good news, plenty of cheap lightly rotted mechanisms became available which could be inserted into old Airfix GMR Brush 2 bodies; and they are still running as well as ever.)

So there's definitely superior competition coming, and based on photos seen so far, my feeling is the Bachmann has it: but I definitely want eyes on before getting my wallet out. All the sophistication now on offer goes for nothing if the characteristic appearance is not captured.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

13 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Some felt the Molecular Integrity Longevity Fix was worthwhile.

Admittedly the earlier versions of the model should indeed be avoided, given all the horror stories I've heard. Also of course, whilst otherwise appearing to be a nice addition, the working fans caused more problems, putting a strain on the motor.  

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Alternative opinion, it was a poor model by simply not capturing the appearance, thanks to the insufficiently narrow top half of the cab. Looked like a hybrid BRCW/Brush type 2 end on.  Despite much liking the centre motor drive, this model - in common with the misshapen 2001 release Heljan 47 - not purchased. (The mazak rot was the good news, plenty of cheap lightly rotted mechanisms became available which could be inserted into old Airfix GMR Brush 2 bodies; and they are still running as well as ever.)

So there's definitely superior competition coming, and based on photos seen so far, my feeling is the Bachmann has it: but I definitely want eyes on before getting my wallet out. All the sophistication now on offer goes for nothing if the characteristic appearance is not captured.

Appearance of both Accurascales and Bachmanns look spot on to me - I've got pre orders for one of each (Accurascale SYP previously being sold out on pre order but coincidentally becoming available again when Bachmann announced theirs). I am sure neither will disappoint.

Just need AS to announce a 20 now to force Bachmann price for their version down - competition clearly is a good thing for us as consumers. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Those were interesting times, I did re-motor a couple of Lima 31s a good while ago. But now times have moved on, but thats not to say theres not some modelling still to be done

NL

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I've been waiting for this. In my experience Bachmann locos are fairly simple to convert to P4 which is a great advantage for me. Accurascale seems to put obstacles in the way 🙃

Never tried converting some of the Bachmann Class 20s then? Some of mine by the time you got the P4 wheels in the bogie, the outer faces were hard against the bogie moulding which needed significant work. Strangely, some were ok. 

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Richard RK3 said:

Admittedly the earlier versions of the model should indeed be avoided, given all the horror stories I've heard. Also of course, whilst otherwise appearing to be a nice addition, the working fans caused more problems, putting a strain on the motor.  

Yes avoid D5512, 31270 and 31110. All 3 of mine crumbled!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I had chance to look over the Bachmann versions last Monday at a Bachmann event in Bristol. 

They looked the part and I was particularly glad to see that Bachmann have continued with their excellent rendition of BR Green, which I will say is better than Accurascale's offering. All that is missing for me is the GSYWP livery but no doubt it's in the pipeline. 

20240219_121819-01.jpeg.d137db503f46d3a9193b712ad7a687db.jpeg

20240219_121240.jpg.f91da9f95d13d6dff5efdb3bad681ccb.jpg

20240219_121254.jpg.4bddf4c08c143edf5d4364019d6b4719.jpg

20240219_121819.jpg.17889fa21a2d95bc5916ec8c09e439fa.jpg

20240219_121825.jpg.eeebffbe5512eb4983cdbab314d3f384.jpg

Rob. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I had chance to look over the Bachmann versions last Monday at a Bachmann event in Bristol. 

They looked the part and I was particularly glad to see that Bachmann have continued with their excellent rendition of BR Green, which I will say is better than Accurascale's offering. All that is missing for me is the GSYWP livery but no doubt it's in the pipeline. 

20240219_121819-01.jpeg.d137db503f46d3a9193b712ad7a687db.jpeg

20240219_121240.jpg.f91da9f95d13d6dff5efdb3bad681ccb.jpg

20240219_121254.jpg.4bddf4c08c143edf5d4364019d6b4719.jpg

20240219_121819.jpg.17889fa21a2d95bc5916ec8c09e439fa.jpg

20240219_121825.jpg.eeebffbe5512eb4983cdbab314d3f384.jpg

Rob. 

I agree Rob  - they certainly "capture" the loco very well..

Chris

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Gilbert said:

I agree Rob  - they certainly "capture" the loco very well..

Chris

Hi Chris, 

They do indeed. Bachmann do produce a nice, deep finish but they seem to have doneca nice job on this. If memory serves me right these are due for March and I'll certainly be having a closer look upon their arrival. As I say, the main issue for me is the lack of a GSYWP livery from Bachmann at this time. The Accurascale  release in that livery is a trip cock fitted example, perhaps a bit niche whereas Bachmann will hopefully do a more general version when they release their model. 

So, here's to hoping for a nice, mid 60s East Anglian example from Bachmann in due course. 

Rob

• Like 1

That green version certainly looks very nice indeed and is the best looking livery . The blue one  is how I  remember the 31s, but I think that the locos are a bit too archaic looking for the later liveries which don't suit them at all. In fact, I think that that all the first generation locos look awful in the later liveries.

Dave

Edited by drgj
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 21/02/2024 at 08:15, NickL2008 said:

It was a nice addition but the drive belt caused more problems

NL

That was my first impression but actually it was the gear towers. All my Hornby twin drive Diesels suffer from it, like as if they go dry every several months or so.

Never had that with Bachmann and other makes. 

• Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, JSpencer said:

That was my first impression but actually it was the gear towers. All my Hornby twin drive Diesels suffer from it, like as if they go dry every several months or so.

The only such mechanisms I have from Hornby are salvaged mazak rot affected mechanisms from their Brush 2.

The gear train from pinion to axles was so slack laterally - especially between the axles - that washers had to be added to keep the gears as well engaged as possible to eliminate 'graunchiness'; which I suspect may be the 'gone dry' effect you describe. The brass pick up bars on the axle ends had to be straightened too.

• Informative/Useful 3

21 hours ago, Melton Works said:

Yes avoid D5512, 31270 and 31110. All 3 of mine crumbled!

Those ones are the only Hornby ones where the entire production runs were affected. I've had about eight or nine later examples and none have had any chassis trouble at all - including BR Blue 31111 bought in 2006 which is still fine. In my experience where other examples appear affected it's because they were either renumbered or their original chassis had been swapped with one from the affected D5512 Green/31270 Blue/31110 Dutch livery batch

• Informative/Useful 2