RMweb

Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. An excellent set of photos of the L.T.& S.R. today. The class 302's were clearly very reliable overall to have worked the services over such a period of time. I like the seasonal view in C3173.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 2

1A26 was the 13:35 Leeds-KX with a portion starting 13:15 from Hull (at the rear of the train). The train appears to be carrying an extra coach at the front and a couple on the rear from that listed in the carriage working notice.

7D61 was a Grantham-Doncaster Belmont freight

1S35 was the 14:00 KX-Edinburgh. There is a borrowed WR Mk2c BSO first coach.

C4251 from the formation and fading light, was probably the 14:45SX KX-Leeds. Unusually hauled by a class 31, in theory 31418 as that was the only disc 31/4.

Blue grey was the best livery for an HST it just looked fast and purposeful shame they are at the end of their working lives,saw the Blyth and Tyne model railway club at Glasgow yesterday excellent layout.

I think they'll be around for a while yet. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos of Dry Doddington. In J2593 of D1572, it appears to have some paint scraped off under the near cab window - a shunting accident?

And in C4251, even if it's 31418, it would be a slow journey to Leeds for the passengers in the Mklld coaches!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed - there weren't many LNER design shock opens left by 1971 .....................

Indeed - and what is that lead wagon loaded with wire coil....??

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Indeed - and what is that lead wagon loaded with wire coil....??

Phil

Looks like one of these I think, (KSV - converted 12T open): http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brrodcoilksv

unless it's longer, and a similar conversion from a plate wagon. Not sure about the angle and therefore the length, but it appears shorter than the plates further down the train.

Edited by eastwestdivide

Looks like one of these I think, (KSV - converted 12T open): http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brrodcoilksv

unless it's longer, and a similar conversion from a plate wagon. Not sure about the angle and therefore the length, but it appears shorter than the plates further down the train.

Not sure the converted Plates (KRV) were around when that photo was taken.

Coil S. Photo is too early for it to be a KSV!  BR liked to give its wagons names.

The steel shock open is nice.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

• RMweb Premium

Dry Doddington today, you will probably remember it is on the ECML between Grantham and Newark, just south of Claypole and north of Hougham.

The photos are from 1971 and 1979.

attachicon.gifDry Doddington Class 47 Leeds to Kings X April 71 J2592.jpg

Dry Doddington Class 47 Leeds to Kings X April 71 J2592  13.35 ex Leeds, Hull portion at rear

attachicon.gifDry Doddington Class 47 D1572 down freight April 71 J2593.jpg

Dry Doddington Class 47 D1572 down freight April 71 J2593   Grantham to Doncaster Belmont

attachicon.gifDry Doddington Class 55 9007 Kings X to Edinburgh April 71 J2594.jpg

Dry Doddington Class 55 9007 Kings X to Edinburgh April 71 J2594  14.00 ex Kings X

attachicon.gifDry Doddington Class 31 down Jan 79 C4251.jpg

Dry Doddington Class 31 down Jan 79 C4251  probably 14.45 SX Kings X to Leeds, 31418

attachicon.gifDry Doddington Class 254 up April 79 C4422.jpg

Dry Doddington Class 254 up April 79 C4422

Thanks once again to Mark 54 for additional details.

David

When Tornado has a  Cert for 90 m.p.h. this could be one of the sections (going south) where you might see it achieving that if it has a clear run through Newark. I suspect though that the Little Bytham area might be a better bet. Great 70s action by the way.

Philj

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photos of Crich and the tramway there. A great set of photos of the WCML and the Daventry branch. Fascinating to see work on the overhead catenary in J067 and J068. And a good view of a three car LMR Class 104 DMU in J084.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

"Photos from the London and North Western and North Staffordshire Railways today"

You are obviously older than you have previously admitted. And colour before 1923 as well.

Seriously, lovely photos. Thanks for posting so regularly and giving me so much enjoyment.

Jonathan

J067 and J068 are great photos. BR took officials but not easily found in colour. Not much change in working arrangements but these vehicles were replaced a decade later and enthusiast appear to have largely ignored them in seeking yet another Duchess over Shap. I think the cable wagons are those built on GWR Open C frames.

And the 350 hp shunter is worth noting. Nowadays there might be a pair of locos, one at either end and tens times plus the power availability - but still doing almost nothing more than 1 mile an hour for hours on end!

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

Re J596, no light engine disc headcode visible - for a very good reason!

The man in the cab was only there probably to confuse people 50 years later. Shame that pole is in the way but quite understandable in the circumstances and still an excellent study of the best-looking diesel-electric in its best-looking livery. D251?

Edited by Western Glory

• RMweb Gold

Re J596, no light engine disc headcode visible - for a very good reason!

The man in the cab was only there probably to confuse people 50 years later. Shame that pole is in the way but quite understandable in the circumstances and still an excellent study of the best-looking diesel-electric in its best-looking livery. D251?

I did wonder too!

Phil