EBay madness

Marcyg

I love how some people spend a couple of days doing a paint re-spray without doing the proper research before hand, I spent 2 weeks researching and finding pictures and video's while researching a particular wagon, I even went to Cardiff for a particular train just to see the required wagon and at the end of it realised that each wagon was different.

The key to a good and proper model is the research beforehand.

A few months ago someone was selling a pair of HST prototype power cars, converted using the Genesis cast cabs. He'd done a really nice job of them - unfortunately the base models were of ones with Brush cooler groups though, so the roof detail was completely wrong!

• RMweb Premium

Depending on what was causing the degradation to the loco I don't think I would want it amongst my collection especially if there is anything that could spread causing damage to my other pieces (as in lead rot) 

It's just been kept in extreme damp.

I had some old Dinky toys left over from childhood kept in a platic bag in a damp shed and forgotten.

When they were eventually rescued they were beyond salvage as there were large amounts of metal missing, rotted away, just like that loco.

keith

Beyond 'Restoration' I would say - more a case for putting down out of her misery! All the railway stuff is described as 'rare' but strangely none of it is. (Apart from the Dublo box for the EMU and possibly the above J39, which is certainly rare to find in this condition, as most things reduced to this state would have long been chucked in the bin long ago.)

to be fair to the seller, the start prices are reasonable.

Edited by Il Grifone

Beyond 'Restoration' I would say - more a case for putting down out of her misery! All the railway stuff is described as 'rare' but strangely none of it is. (Apart from the Dublo box for the EMU and possibly the above J39, which is certainly rare to find in this condition, as most things reduced to this state would have long been chucked in the bin long ago.)

to be fair to the seller, the start prices are reasonable.

Dump the chassis (though the motor may be savable) and either give liberal amounts of paint stripper or dunk in brake fluid/caustic soda. Nice little kit for a tenner !!

Hayfield says: Dump the chassis (though the motor may be savable) and either give liberal amounts of paint stripper or dunk in brake fluid/caustic soda. Nice little kit for a tenner !!

I don't recognise the tender. Its not one that was coupled to a J39. Sourcing a new tender could make it expensive as it is probably RARE (certainly in that condition).

Earlswood nob

Hornby 2003 wagon, a snip:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-COLLECTOR-2003-MODEL-No-R6195-ex-GWR-TOAD-BRAKE-VAN-LTD-EDITION-MIB-/271278519032?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3f2975b2f8

I'm going to compile a complete rake of these and then dedicate a blog to respraying, detailing and modifying he whole ruddy lot of them...

• Like 1

Afternoon all

The seller of the smart brass kit has a K's Kirtley loco at £340.

It is complete without brake gear on loco or tender, pickups only on  two driving wheels, flangeless middle wheels on both loco and tender, and rusty axles supplied at no extra cost. The wheels look like K's original and we all know how good they were.

If only my scratchbuilt chassis were as good....I'd throw them all in the bin.

Earlswood nob

Edited by Earlswood Nob

• RMweb Gold

Pictured during a nuclear blast, mouse-in to see the detail!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-van-/231072496885?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item35ccfe7cf5

He also has a "pannifer" tank too, and it's even got 1 bid even though it's invisible ....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-G-W-R-loco-pannifer-tank-/231071069882?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item35cce8b6ba

• Like 1

Is this a "SMART BUILT BRASS KIT"  well not in my case and at £190.00 as well.  :no:   http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400587618449&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:3160

Oh, I don't know - I've seen worse. At least offers are invited even if they may all be ignored. I don't quite know what "smart built" actually is supposed to mean, his first name is Alec perhaps.

• Like 1

He also has a "pannifer" tank too, and it's even got 1 bid even though it's invisible ....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-G-W-R-loco-pannifer-tank-/231071069882?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item35cce8b6ba

It's a pannier named Jennifer.  

There's a song written for her, sing up at the back please -   Jennifer, pannifer, tra la la la la.....

He's got quite a bit of other stock caught in the same blast. 

I often wonder, as they review the new listing, what these people mutter to themselves

'Hmm, yes, that's just right, really shows it at its best...  

What's that nurse, yes, coming down for my medication straight away...'

• Like 1

Buffer missing, few marks, nothing really amiss....

Except for the Western bogie and what look for all the world like two stainless steel Alice-bands on the wretched machine's cabs!

I mean whaaaat!!???  It's the unique C-Bo  :O

Edited by 'CHARD

Dump the chassis (though the motor may be savable) and either give liberal amounts of paint stripper or dunk in brake fluid/caustic soda. Nice little kit for a tenner !!

Possibly though it looks like corrosion has set in on the castings, for which nothing can be done AFAIK*. The tender appears to be rusty, which would mean it isn't original. It looks more like one from a B12, not that I consider myself in any way an LNER expert. I prefer a darker shade of green myself (see below  :) ).

*It always seems to reappear whatever you do.