Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, 40002 said:

Well yes but to some extent I agree with him, OK some models have been substancially delayed by covid, but I think manufacturers announcing models that are potentially a year+ away is a bit ridiculous.

It seems to me quite useful when manufacturers announce a product early enough that they can get feedback on any errors that might have crept in. 

And if something is planned to appear in over a year's time that's when it's likely to appear - it won't actually come any faster if we're not told about it until later and personally I don't feel I would benefit from being kept in the dark.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

It's a balancing act and we've watched the Accura/IRM guys fine tune theirs to a point where I think it works well - especially considering all the global uncertainty.

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Coryton said:

The Accurascale web site says: "Utilising the latest in full-colour 3D scanning and printing technology" which to me implies they are printed in colour. (Which I had no idea was a thing, but it seems that there are now various methods of 3-d printing directly in colour).

3D scanning, some scanners can also scan the colour to enable a texture file be applied to the model. Helps either with doing quick renders or checking livery schemes but probably not accurate enough for a colour match for paint. A spectrophotometer would be used for that I think. Also, almost anything that comes out of a 3D scanner takes a lot of work to get something useful out of in an engineering sense.

3D printing, it depends what you mean by in colour. I aren't aware of a 3D printer that mixes material to colour match. You buy material the colour you want it and print with it. Multi headed printers can print multiple colours into the same part but even then more than two heads is rare. If making multiple parts then you can print each part in different colours. I did see something recently about a new printer head that uses the same nozzle to print different colours and can accept more colours, it just diverts whichever material it needs through it (it has an extruder for each colour). Not sure if it is any good.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the above applies to FDM printers. I aren't sure that printing multi coloured in resin is possible given how resin printing works.

If I was 3D printing stuff for this job, I'd be printing in resin and painting most of it.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Also, bear in mind that in some circles, AS means Anne Summers.

So a friend said.

Mike.

Are you heading back down the purple throbber route Mine? 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

3D printing, it depends what you mean by in colour. I aren't aware of a 3D printer that mixes material to colour match. You buy material the colour you want it and print with it. Multi headed printers can print multiple colours into the same part but even then more than two heads is rare. If making multiple parts then you can print each part in different colours. I did see something recently about a new printer head that uses the same nozzle to print different colours and can accept more colours, it just diverts whichever material it needs through it (it has an extruder for each colour). Not sure if it is any good.

I was thinking of something like this: "Indirect colour 3D printing applies the colour from an external source during the printing process (e.g in Multi Jet Fusion 3D printing). This technology is much more precise and allows for a more realistic appearance of the 3D prints. It is important for you to remember that indirect colour 3D printing uses CMYK colour mode and you need to take that into consideration when preparing your model."

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 minutes ago, Coryton said:

I was thinking of something like this: "Indirect colour 3D printing applies the colour from an external source during the printing process (e.g in Multi Jet Fusion 3D printing). This technology is much more precise and allows for a more realistic appearance of the 3D prints. It is important for you to remember that indirect colour 3D printing uses CMYK colour mode and you need to take that into consideration when preparing your model."

Ah that looks good. Wasn't aware they had done that. Link didn't seem to work but I found it nonetheless from what you quoted.

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Let's see what happens though and you have got to respect the channel, following and career Sam has made out of his channel.

Very well said, that man!  I was saying something similar only recently about my good friend Vladimir and the bounders just nicked my yacht!😉

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I respect a number of aspects of Sam's reviews the best feature is the excellent camera work enabling you to make up your own mind (you can turn the sound off!). 

The 'news' segments though are filled with errors that even a mildly informed modeler sees through. For example he picked up that the mk1 suburbans would be released in 2022 Q3 based off a single typo which he was surprised at. Rather than investigating further which would have led to everything else pointing towards the proper date (or even getting in touch with Accurascale directly who would have provided the correct info) he carried through with the incorrect one and made a comment on it...

...in the same segment he raved about the detailing on them and said that whilst high the price was fair. Strangely, he was then ok about the Dapol toplight pricing despite slating it last time so consistency isn't a given!

...I wouldn't worry though I think he generally respects what Accurascale are doing in the market, as we all should.

At the end of the day if you make a class leading product that undercuts the competition then you are onto a winner. A bit of bad press won't stop that! I'm quite sure the folks at Accurascale aren't quaking in their boots.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Ah we expect a bit of a hatchet job. We haven't crossed the palm with silver (unlike competitors) and nothing will generate clicks more than attacking one of the most hotly anticipated models this year and clicks = more revenue. Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised, but at the end of the day we fought tooth and nail to keep the price at £160/£250 despite the features inside and industry wide price rises over the same time. We'd happily take the value test over anything else

Just remember, Empty Cans Rattle Most.

Mike.

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

Same message just received down here in the southeast corner.

Assuming that DHL will receive/collect the package during the course of the day it will be making it's way down here overnight and should arrive around lunchtime tomorrow, normal time that the DHL courier appears.

Keith

Email from DHL received at 07:53 this morning advising that delivery will be made between 10:01 and 11:01.

Right I says, time to pop round the corner to collect my monthly prescription. Did that and returned home ten minutes ago to find a large box in the lobby waiting for me - delivery had been made at 09:30 somewhat earlier than expected.

Time now for morning coffee and biscuits and then the box opening will commence...........😀

Keith

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Wow this is incredible, you're all in for a treat. I've driven it up and down a few times and now just listening to it idling. Supposed to be doing some work but can't resist revving her up every now and again!

Consider this your first review....10/10!

Only question and maybe in my ham fisted excitement I have dropped it but I can't see a list of functions in the box.

Edited by ac1874
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, ac1874 said:

Wow this is incredible, you're all in for a treat. I've driven it up and down a few times and now just listening to it idling. Supposes to be doing some work but can't resist revving her up every now and again!

Consider this your first review....10/10!

Only question and maybe in my ham fisted excitement I have dropped it but I can't see a list of functions in the box.

Hi @ac1874,

Many thanks for your kind words!

The function list is in the inside back cover of the instruction booklet.

1857162646_ImagefromiOS-2022-06-17T100349_357.thumb.jpg.c971312bf4fbc3ca1de9087a5c55b710.jpg

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 11

12 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Anyone taking bets on S*m's Tr*ins review complaining about the price.

He has just had a whinge about Accurafolk costing £10 and suggesting they should have been included free with the models (i.e. implying that £160/£250 does not represent good enough value already and that a set of figures probably £5 at cost price should be included as well....).

No - you need to listen to people whose opinions actually matter...

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @ac1874,

Many thanks for your kind words!

The function list is in the inside back cover of the instruction booklet.

1857162646_ImagefromiOS-2022-06-17T100349_357.thumb.jpg.c971312bf4fbc3ca1de9087a5c55b710.jpg

Cheers!

Fran 

More importantly - what's the master "How to annoy the neighbours" CV?

Next door to me has a teenage son - a good musician and practises in their conservatory next door, but at 1130pm it's a bit annoying. I feel payback coming on.

Welcome to a setting of 255 young man....................

• Like 1
  • Funny 12