Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Hi,

Have just stumbled upon your thread. I love the photos from the Newark/Grantham area. I grew up around there at that time and a few years later. Deltics were the sound track of my childhood.

I recall two 31s going north into Newark every afternoon about 3pm, with a few wagons. We assumed it was a pick up goods???

They used to go off up the Bottesford line, presumably to the Worthington Simpson factory.

I'm not sure where they went from Newark.

Can anyone shed any more light?

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great selection of WR photo's today. In the first one at Sharpness docks, on the left of the photo' on the other side of the bridge is what looks like a semaphore signal. I am not familiar with the location at that time you see.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Hi, Dave. A great selection of WR photo's today. In the first one at Sharpness docks, on the left of the photo' on the other side of the bridge is what looks like a semaphore signal. I am not familiar with the location at that time you see.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

The signal was worked from a lever at the bottom of the post. I remember seeing it. I guess it was operated by the person opening and closing the bridge. It would give an approaching train a little advance indication of the status of the bridge.

andy

Hi, Dave. Thank you for posting a fine selection of photo's from Skipton in 1967 and 1968. They bring back memories of those end of steam days. Very nostalgic, and, as has been said before, things could be fairly grotty by then. The grot, grey skies, and the sense of the inevitable, has all been so well captured by your Father in those photos. The two Jinties look as if they really are ready for scrapping, for they are so rusty!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

BRDatabase gives the transfer of the two Jinties as late in 1966, both coming from Lostock Hall; so they had probably been parked there ever since.

Six months of unrelenting West Yorkshire weather has taken its toll. 47293 had another 8 months of rusting to go before it was cut up.

Edited by jonny777

I think they might just be wooden sleepers.

Definite case of overspill from either the loco diesel tank, although unlikely, or.- more likely to be oil from the collection tanks for the loco's bedplate. Have seen a fair few locos where the collection tank drain cock was left open and the side of the loco absolutely plastered in oil. A steady build up of oil over the years would look just like that. The sleepers do look to be wood though. Interestingly looking at the two lines in the photo, the RH line does not appear to have a lot, if any cant on it. If my geography is right, it is the Up Line and climbing up to the tunnel. The LH line (Down line) does appear to have quite a cant on it, as the oil stain shows. This will be going downhill. I am guessing that this is canted to allow for the faster speed of a descending train, whilst the RH (Up Line) the trains are climbing the grade at a much slower speed so there is little or no cant on the track. Just my thoughts on the track difference. Any thoughts any one else?

As usual Dave lots of cracking photos from all over the country. Always look forward to seeing what you can surprise us with next. Many thanks for sharing them.

Paul J.

• Like 1

More daily treats, more questions from me...     Post 5549, photo C 654: why does the near platform have a fixed distant under the starter, whereas the adjacent platform has a working distant (obviously 'off')?    The first vehicle looks like a rare Mk1 corridor brake first. 

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Bill

Re the distants - the starter with the fixed distant will have a speed restriction on that route - I suspect probably a cross over on to the line that the 47 is departing on - which has a straight run, hence the distant pulled off.

And yup that's a BFK all right - another one for Mr Bachmann please!

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Dave

C1528/9 fascinated by that location, couldn't place it ...

I reckon you were at 52°18'46.24"N 2°12'20.44"W - on the south westerly of the two bridges looking north east, Sneads Green nearest village, that's Hartlebury's down distant in front of the other bridge

An area not often seen in photos - many thanks for sharing, remember batting along there at a fair lick in Swindon 120s on Worcester to Brum trains in the late 60s/early 70s

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Dave

C1528/9 fascinated by that location, couldn't place it ...

I reckon you were at 52°18'46.24"N 2°12'20.44"W - on the south westerly of the two bridges looking north east, Sneads Green nearest village, that's Hartlebury's down distant in front of the other bridge

An area not often seen in photos - many thanks for sharing, remember batting along there at a fair lick in Swindon 120s on Worcester to Brum trains in the late 60s/early 70s

Phil

Phil,

Thanks for identifying the exact location for me.

When I took them I was on a very roundabout route from my parents home near Grantham to the Severn Valley via Blackwell and other places.   I think I just came across the railway and decided to stop and take a few photos.  So much for planning my days out.

I doubt I'd ever find the place again without your post.

David

• Like 1

J1080 Maltby! Don't see that much. I think the platforms still exist, but well overgrown now. I've taken the odd photo on that line in recent years.

For avoidance of up/down doubt, the photo seems to be looking north-ish off the main A-road bridge. 

Maltby, wow, that's a rarely photographed station in later days.

Excellent.

Rarely photographed propelling of the brake van too. With as Single red rear light illuminated but where's the tail lamp? Maybe it's just shunting.

P

• RMweb Gold

Rarely photographed propelling of the brake van too. With as Single red rear light illuminated but where's the tail lamp? Maybe it's just shunting.

P

Looks like it's propelling - there's a signal off in the distance.

• RMweb Premium

Looks like it's propelling - there's a signal off in the distance.

Plus the secondman about to hand over a token and a red tail light.

Edit Whoops should have read Porcy's post as well.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A fantastic selection of Yorkshire photo's today. The first one of Brough is one where I have cycled round to many times and photographed trains from many times.

Gisburn tunnel is, of course, one of those tunnels that are actually not necessary, and is only a tunnel to placate the local gentry!

Love Knaresborough as always. Last time I went through on a train was one of the steam specials a few years ago.

With warmest regards,

Rob.