The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Things that make you :)

Andy Y

On 28/05/2019 at 19:02, Jol Wilkinson said:

Which is okay with minor grammatical or spelling errors, but sometimes it can be difficult to understand what the writer meant. While there are those who struggle with the written word through various conditions such as dyslexia, we owe it to others to communicate as clearly and effectively as we are able.

I couldnt agree more, I have blocked certain users who insist on using of instead of have because it can make their posts difficult to understand and there is also the fact it bloody annoys the pants off me, putting of instead of have is just plain lazy and has nothing to do with dyslexia etc.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, royaloak said:

I couldnt agree more, I have blocked certain users who insist on using of instead of have because it can make their posts difficult to understand and there is also the fact it bloody annoys the pants off me, putting of instead of have is just plain lazy and has nothing to do with dyslexia etc.

Some punctuation is always appreciated as well....:rolleyes:

'of' and 'have'  have morphed into 'of' because of the sound of the contractions 'could've' 'would've' etc.  Because it sounds like 'could of' then it becomes the way its written. The written English language is changing all the time  and this is just another change that comes from speech.

I also wouldn't say it's due to laziness, I know of a couple of children who by 15 had still not been taught what I think are basic language rules.

Edited by chris p bacon
  • Agree 1

Guest CLARENCE
9 hours ago, royaloak said:

bloody annoys the pants off me, putting of instead of have is just plain lazy and has nothing to do with dyslexia etc.

There seem to be many people around who seem to care more about others' ability to use proper English grammar, spelling and sentence construction, than their ability to add something to the content of the forums (fora?). I was a teacher for a big chunk of my life, and met many, many children.They came from all kinds of backgrounds, and many had problems with the "proper" use of English. They will probably have become adults with the same problems. To label them as "lazy", in my opinion, is plain wrong. There are surely more important things to do on this forum and in life than denigrate other people's use of the English language! We are surely here to swap ideas, help with information, and further our enjoyment of model railways, and surely that's all.

I'll not lower myself to become embroiled in nonsensical arguments about spelling and grammar any more!

And that is my final word on the subject.

No more, PLEASE. Let's just get on with the fun of modelling!

Can I please get back to my layout, now I've got that off my chest?

Edited by CLARENCE
Spelling and grammar!

4 hours ago, N15class said:

But without language, there is no communication. 

People have been communicating quite satisfactorily (and, admittedly, sometimes unsatisfactorily) in many and varied dialects of the English language since before Chaucer. I don't think using of instead of have,  confusing there, their and they're, or excessive use of the grocer's apostrophe is likely to result in linguistic armageddon, however annoying it might be to those of us wot's been brought up with the "proper" usage. There are far more important things to get worked up about. And far funnier things to post in a supposedly cheery thread too. 

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

My son and I went to view a secondary school a few years back and were overjoyed to learn that the science master was a Mr Dah Dah. I had visions of him opening the door every lesson and going... Dah Dah  with jazz hands of course

Some years ago, two senior Australian politicians with the surnames of Abbott and Costello were involved in a defamation case over the contents of an unauthorised biography. Needless to say, our better satirists had something of a field day with variations on "Sue the book publisher" dialogues. 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Chrisr40 said:

My son and I went to view a secondary school a few years back and were overjoyed to learn that the science master was a Mr Dah Dah. I had visions of him opening the door every lesson and going... Dah Dah  with jazz hands of course

While opening the windows!