Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, TomScrut said:

First thing as has already been said is that the MKLs are fully powered on AUX 3 and AUX 4 as opposed to logic level which will mean whatever is on those outputs may act strangely. That doesn't mean to say that is your issue (although I expect it is, I haven't got my Deltic yet so don't know what Aux output goes with what lights) but will need addressing anyway.

Have you done any programming or are you on the default settings for the decoder?

F5 and F6 relate to AUX3 and AUX4 and so depending on how AS have done it there may be more work to do.

For example the default function mapping on the decoder may not be ideal for operational use if the PCB is set up to be 1 function, 1 cluster/type set as per Hattons 66 and Dapol 68. OTOH if it is set up with some logic on the board already, as per the Bachmann 90, then the higher functions disable ends or override day to night etc, rather than directly controlling individual clusters. Without understanding this you may struggle with solving your issue but getting the right decoder in there is the first thing to do IMO.

The only UK outline loco I am aware of that requires MKL as opposed to ordinary ESU decoders is the Hattons 66. Before they came out they were pretty much unheard of over here in the context of UK outline IIRC

Hiya,

Thank you and the others for the replies I have had on this.

I'm not very technically minded and up to this point it looks like I've been very lucky that all the decoders I've fitted have been simply plug in and play, body removal difficulties on some loco's notwithstanding of course.

I have occasionally changed some of the CV settings to smooth the acceleration/braking here and there but mostly haven't needed to.

I've now ordered 59629 versions as recommended above and hoping I will find homes in as yet unbought loco's for the now redundant 59659 versions, can never have enough decoders right?  66's are out of my 75-82ish timeline though.

Thanks again for all the replies, they are very much appreciated.

I am going to take the opportunity, whilst I am writing, of adding some further praise for these loco's, I was a little dubious of the magnetic roof, just how it would look, would the fact that it was a separate removable piece be too obvious.  I need not have worried, very impressive and innovative idea executed flawlessly.

And I am not sure what it is, but in addition to the accuracy and attention to detail, these have that indescribable 'presence' Deltics just somehow have, even sitting motionless and silent, it is palpable.

I have 4, another 4 on the way and will be getting all 22 as and when they are released in the timeline liveries I need.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Alycidon said:

Hiya,

Thank you and the others for the replies I have had on this.

I'm not very technically minded and up to this point it looks like I've been very lucky that all the decoders I've fitted have been simply plug in and play, body removal difficulties on some loco's notwithstanding of course.

I have occasionally changed some of the CV settings to smooth the acceleration/braking here and there but mostly haven't needed to.

I've now ordered 59629 versions as recommended above and hoping I will find homes in as yet unbought loco's for the now redundant 59659 versions, can never have enough decoders right?  66's are out of my 75-82ish timeline though.

Thanks again for all the replies, they are very much appreciated.

I am going to take the opportunity, whilst I am writing, of adding some further praise for these loco's, I was a little dubious of the magnetic roof, just how it would look, would the fact that it was a separate removable piece be too obvious.  I need not have worried, very impressive and innovative idea executed flawlessly.

And I am not sure what it is, but in addition to the accuracy and attention to detail, these have that indescribable 'presence' Deltics just somehow have, even sitting motionless and silent, it is palpable.

I have 4, another 4 on the way and will be getting all 22 as and when they are released in the timeline liveries I need.

The removable roof section is superbly done, isn't it? I didn't look at any pictures or the instructions, and as a result it took me a little while to find which bit came off as it fits so well.

The whole thing just oozes quality and attention to detail.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

You're right, I do sound fitting for customers, so I've been lucky enough to hear some pretty good models. I wasn't trying to be too critical of this model, because it does sound good, but also I dont think it sounds as good as something with an EM2 which is kind f the way it was promoted. When the model was announced I asked Accurascale if it would sound as good as an EM2 fitted mode, because I was trying to decide whether to keep or sell my Bachmann one, and they replied 'It will sound better', it doesn't in my opinion because Deltics need so much bass. I wasn't going to post this video here because its nothing to do with Accurascales model, but all I was saying is that some of the other models have more bass, if you watch the video its clear, even if you watch it through a phone or laptop. 

As I said before the Accurascale one is good enough for most people, its not something I'll be trying to offer upgrades for, although I might mess about with my own a bit to see if I can 'improve' it, some people might not think it needs improving which is fine

Richard

Nothing wrong with trying to get more bass for your buck , so crack on Richard .

Will be following that keenly 👍

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

Does anyone know of any producers of appropriate 4mm etched or printed nameplates for the Deltics?

Shawplan/Extreme Etchings and Railtec for 3D printed.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Bedlington North said:

The Accurascale models come with etched plates in the box and they look like they are made by Shawplan.

And very nice they are too … a perfect fit over the printed plates. Regimental crest on D9010 is fun though!!!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone else think it is poor form to rush on here talking about sound performance, before most have even received their locos, let alone run them?

Mine has just arrived, and a quick catch up on here has really taken the edge off receiving it. Thanks a lot.

• Agree 5
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Royal Scots Grey arrived this morning at 0900 ,somewhat unexpected as DHL app was giving a delivery time of about 1100 to 1200ish that itself having been revised from Monday. It won’t have a chance to get anywhere near the layout today as  I’m going to the GRS global rail exhibition at Didcot today. It probably have to wait for it’s friends to appear, hopefully sometime next week.

5 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

Does anyone else think it is poor form to rush on here talking about sound performance, before most have even received their locos, let alone run them?

Mine has just arrived, and a quick catch up on here has really taken the edge off receiving it. Thanks a lot.

Is this a genuine post? Like seriously?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Balgrayhill said:

If reading forum posts are doing that to you, than I seriously recommend coming off forums altogether.  That is not healthy

I can quite happily take the moans of the standard RMWebber, such as yours, however R&R are a business selling DCC sound - and here they are on Accurascales' thread expressing immediate disappointment. R&R even acknowledge some doubt over posting, but they did so anyway.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

I have experienced this same emotion in the past, when waiting for an eagerly anticipated model, it comes to light that something is unacceptable wrong.

I didn't leave/avoid forum threads but instead have learned that there will always be something that is "unacceptable" to some section of the recipients - it's just the percentage that varies.

Kev.

(...who is in a state of flux owing to not having received anything yet!)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, owentherail said:

Has anyone taken the body off yet? Does it say how in paper work as I couldn't see it, I'm guessing chains will have to be removed...... tho some where missing anyway,!! 

There should be 4 hand brake chains. How many do you have missing?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SHMD said:

I have experienced this same emotion in the past, when waiting for an eagerly anticipated model, it comes to light that something is unacceptable wrong.

I didn't leave/avoid forum threads but instead have learned that there will always be something that is "unacceptable" to some section of the recipients - it's just the percentage that varies.

Kev.

(...who is in a state of flux owing to not having received anything yet!)

And sound is probably the most subjective feature of a model. I hate loud models because I like to imagine I am viewing them from scale distance away. I am in my mind several hundred feet away from the models I am observing. That's why a lot of us prefer a matt paint job, because you can't make out gloss from any distance, everything looks matt from far enough away, even though in reality rolling stock was often painted in bright gloss colours!

With sound I want subtlety. I want to hear the loco fade in as it approaches me and fade out as it moves away from me. Others prefer it to be full blast in your face and that's just fine too. It's simply never going to be possible to please everyone with sound, perhaps more than any other aspect of a model. Some prefer more bass, some more treble or whatever. It's rare that several people will all agree that speaker x is the best. We all hear differently too!

• Like 3
  • Agree 10

And then there are those of us who wear hearing aids because of our poor hearing to start with. My Lima and Bachmann Deltics already have a throbby low thrumm that has nothing to do with the decoder or sound file ... It's my tinnitus! I guess I'm in for a real treat when my Accurascale Deltics arrive!!

• Friendly/supportive 8

18 minutes ago, murphaph said:

And sound is probably the most subjective feature of a model. I hate loud models because I like to imagine I am viewing them from scale distance away. I am in my mind several hundred feet away from the models I am observing. That's why a lot of us prefer a matt paint job, because you can't make out gloss from any distance, everything looks matt from far enough away, even though in reality rolling stock was often painted in bright gloss colours!

With sound I want subtlety. I want to hear the loco fade in as it approaches me and fade out as it moves away from me. Others prefer it to be full blast in your face and that's just fine too. It's simply never going to be possible to please everyone with sound, perhaps more than any other aspect of a model. Some prefer more bass, some more treble or whatever. It's rare that several people will all agree that speaker x is the best. We all hear differently too!

Indeed. That post was a bit like me saying I was really looking forward to the new album by [insert name here] but now it’s been ruined because ive read a bad review of it! Some of the least critically popular albums turn out to be stone cold classics in later life! All subjective as you say…..

Edited by aureol40012
  • Like 4