57xx Pannier Tank Family, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, JhornG201 said:

Safe for now, but if Accurascale announce a GNSR ochre liveried exclusive I’ll absolutely be having one! 

To go with those figures on the Rapido thread? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Lovely announcement.

Can one hope for a preserved condition GWR one, and/or a Preserved LT loco (hint L95 has run in both LT and Preservation in almost the same condition, aside from Vacuum pipes)?

And while you are getting licenses for the LT livery, you might as well get the various Class 66 lined up as well!

I feel a little sorry for Bachmann here, given that the Pannier has been such a staple for them since Mainline days, however they had plenty of chances to retool it, but instead went with more obscure variants. You snooze you loose!

I'm more worried we'll end up with three of them!

Whilst I might buy one or two*, I'm not going to suddenly start disposing of perfectly good models just because a new one is available. Especially since there was 863 of them. I don't quite understand that idea. They were "good enough" yesterday and it's not like the older models were misshapen lumps that bear no resemblance to the real thing. Just a bit dated.

*Already got my eye on at least one

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

As a few others have said above, a LT version feels the obvious choice for an Exclusive, given the multiple mentions in the launch video.

I do hope it's L94 to commemorate its role as last steam on the underground - complete with the appropriate headboards would be the cherry on top!

• RMweb Gold

Curses, no Flying Scotsman...

I will probably go for an 8750 as I could do with one without a top feed, that said I am now prompted to look for a suitable Tondu 57xx with rivetted tanks!  A choice will have to be made as it will be a long time before the wallet will recover from what is for this impoverished pensioner a significant outlay.  Topfeedless 8750 first I think...

Slightly disappointed not to have my 1854/2721, but the 57xx/8750 mech could be used for these in the future, so I'm not giving up hope just yet; maybe next time!  £139 is a pretty good price deze daze for a loco of this quality; kudos Accurascale! 

9681 was delivered new to Tondu and is an obvious choice, but would be a duplicate of 9649, a Baccy loco already on my books, also new to Tondu in 1946 in G W R initials livery.  For a relatively small and not very important shed, Tondu has a pretty good track record when it comes to preserved locos, with 7752, 9681, and 4144 still with us...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @David Bigcheeseplant,

It would be an interesting variant for sure. We wonder what demand would be like?

Cheers!

Fran 

Well then..think Paddington,just as Rapido have done with the Hawksworth 15XX Pannier. And current thinking,at least on this forum is that so-called “oddities” …..e.g. Heljan Garratt…..sell. ATM we’ve nice new Panniers to enjoy.In my long departed youf ,a stalwart performer on the Vale of Neath,trailing a couple of Colletts or Toplights over the Crumlin Viaduct. Last saw one busy on the SVR in April. In this case,black is beautiful.Whatever….well done guys,once again.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Many congratulations to Accurascale on this announcement - at least I won't have to read the word 'topfeed' in every other RMweb post from now on! (😀Only kidding GWR fans!😀)

Seriously though, we wish them every success with project.👍

Within The 00 Wishlist Poll, we listed the 57xx/8750 for the first time in 2018 as it then came within our listing cut-off date.

In that year, and again in 2019, the class was Middle Polling. 

In 2022, the next Poll to run, the class had climbed to High Polling, only missing The Top 50 by just six votes.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, rorz101uk said:

As a laugh can you put one in “Duck” livery 🫣

I was hoping a BR green lined but I don’t know if these carried it? 

Not one of these I'm afraid. The 54XX and 64XX did.

Most of the known BR era livery oddities are listed here.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveriesloco1948.html

Jason

• Agree 1

Hurrah! at last a worthy successor to the old Mainline model, which still looks amazing now! The motor/chassis was a different matter of course, and he Bachmann 8750 which came later somehow didn't quite cut it.  The wheels were inaccurate, and despite a better motor the chassis did not give great reliability or smoothness.  Well done Accurascale  - I never expected anyone to better the look of the old Mainline, but I am sure you will!!

It's funny that i just finished my collection of every preserved Pannier tank with the arrival of the Rapido 15xx. Now I have to start all over again 😅. I might replace some of the Bachmann ones with sound fitted Accurascale ones. Hopefully the exclusive Version will be a LT Pannier, L92 perhaps, as it was the first in my Pannier collection.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

In addition to any new plots and schemes for new layout ideas,  the inclusion of the Mountain Ash pannier is excellent news. Will sit well with my NCB No.8 Austerity on Sheep Dip.....and I can gracefully retire my Bachmann/Modelzone example of 7754. 

Top stuff. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Excellent! I have put my order in. I particularly like the fact that Accurascale have gone for the smokebox way of fitting the decoder. I would normally order a sound fitted model but I prefer Zimo decoders so I will have to fit my own.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

5741 duly ordered, and I'm really looking forward to it's eventual release. Also super thankful I held off buying a Bachmann one from ebay! 😄

It will happily join my DJ 14xx, and pair of Rails/Bachmann 812s, to finish the "Little Western" group 👍

Edited by Fair Oak Junction

31 minutes ago, Roger Sunderland said:

Sorry to be negative  but it’s sad yet another GWR prototype has been chosen. There are still quite a few LNER locos covering a wide time range eg B16, that haven’t been done at all before. Opportunity wasted IMHO.

There is always one...

• Agree 8

1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

Er......hang on, Roger. It's all been very L&NER this year. You've had lots of Flying Scotsmans ( Scotsmen ? ) to chose from, at least one other A3 in 1923 guise, the TMC G5, several A4s coming......oh and the streamlined B17s on their way and, and Hush Hushes......and and the Y7 from Rapido and you will no doubt, as I am, be eagerly awaiting the J67/68/69 also coming from Accurascale...oh and the J52 from Rapido..........so not a completly bare cupboard. 

I of course would have loved it to have been an E4 but it wasn't to be. That's life. 

So come on, just let us peasants who also enjoy small useful, incredibly cute Western tank engines, LONG overdue for an upgrade have a bit of the limelight today. 

Rob. 

Pretty much. 

I quite like the LNER* although don't really model it, and even I've got a lot of them in recent years!

Just thinking of the 0-6-0Ts.

J50, J52, J67, J68, J69, J70, J72, J94 (I'm probably missing one), all up to modern standards. 

We are talking about a class of 863 locomotives of which 16 survive which has a model dating back to the early 1980s. There isn't even a decent kit available of which there are several for the B16 (DJH/PDK/London Road).

*It was even my local railway at one point if you count the CLC as part of the LNER

Jason

38 minutes ago, Roger Sunderland said:

Sorry to be negative  but it’s sad yet another GWR prototype has been chosen. There are still quite a few LNER locos covering a wide time range eg B16, that haven’t been done at all before. Opportunity wasted IMHO.

Watch the AY Accurascale video at the start of the thread. Fran makes some nice comments about that. Other regions have not been forgotten and the future is bright, very bright.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3